LKN Jeep = New Engine?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

LKN Jeep = New Engine??

I took my 2007 unlimited to the Lake Norman Jeep to get the oil changed and for them to check out a ticking noise that Ive been hearing from the engine for a week. They call me back and say I need a NEW ENGINE.

I manage a BBQ restaurant right down the road (Mac's Speedshop) and money is tight these days.
I bought this Jeep used from Keith Hawthorne Ford in Charlotte, and didnt get a warranty. So im screwed.

I kind of blacked out after he said "New Engine" and didnt get the particulars. Tomorrow am I am talking to them and seeing what my options are. I love my jeep and I feel like somebody punched me in the face.

Any opinions on where to take it for a second opinion?
I should have gotten a warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides View Post
I took my 2007 unlimited to the Lake Norman Jeep to get the oil changed and for them to check out a ticking noise that Ive been hearing from the engine for a week. They call me back and say I need a NEW ENGINE.

I manage a BBQ restaurant right down the road (Mac's Speedshop) and money is tight these days.
I bought this Jeep used from Keith Hawthorne Ford in Charlotte, and didnt get a warranty. So im screwed.

I kind of blacked out after he said "New Engine" and didnt get the particulars. Tomorrow am I am talking to them and seeing what my options are. I love my jeep and I feel like somebody punched me in the face.

I think there is a 3.8L for sale in the for sale section on here for 700$.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mod..Wheel..Break..Repeat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Criminals prefer unarmed victims:Μολὼν λαβέ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I think I understand your question - but I am a two door guy.
post #3 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 05:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Used 3.8l is a much better idea than a new short block from the dealer. I'd buy the used engine and drive your current one until it quits or gets much worse.

Drop it to the shop with the engine and tell them to swap it out.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Used 3.8l is a much better idea than a new short block from the dealer. I'd buy the used engine and drive your current one until it quits or gets much worse.

Drop it to the shop with the engine and tell them to swap it out.
that ^ IF it truely needed to be replaced

When is it ticking? Does the ticking change with the rpm of the engine?

Cracked exhaust manifolds produce a ticking noise, but usually go away once engine/exhaust warms up.

Definitely get a 2nd opinion and I wouldnt mention what the dealer told you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #5 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will research my options. If any of you are in the area of Charlotte or Lake Norman come by and I'll get your first beer.

-Drew

Last edited by The Dude Abides; 03-07-2011 at 03:13 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 11:53 PM
JKO Addict!

How long ago did you buy it? Your state may have a law to cover "lemon law" type of situation (I am not saying it would be covered under the Lemon Law regs tho).

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #7 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 02:51 AM

Take it to keffer jeep over on independence and have them look at it. I have found that LKN jeep is not the most trustworthy dealership in town to say the least.
post #8 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 05:04 AM
Wheeler

Also, don't tottaly count out Chrysler. I have a 2008 and am the second owner. If your milage isn't to much you might be able to rationalize with Chrysler. They where willing to help me out. Go ahead and give them a call.
post #9 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Granite Guru

Just jumping in as I love Macs - are you the red rock one that sits out back some???

I have the white JKU that I spoke to you about one time when I was in there with my family.

P.S. - Macs is so much more than a BBQ joint - trust me everyone if you get a chance - go...

I would try Keffer to see what they say...

2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : 2" Rock Krawler Stackable Bumpstops F/R : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights

post #10 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 AM
Rock God

Run from Lake Norman as fast as you can. I will never step foot in there again. They voided the warranty on my old dodge after the 2nd transmission blew and it cost me over 5K. Then for some dumb reason I went there to buy a new JK and they talked me into leaving a deposit on one that they had. Well long story short I bought my current Jeep at Keffer and it took me 6 months to get my $500 deposit back from them. They also took advantage of another board member here almost as bad as me.

Take it to Keffer. I think they are the best dealer in the Charlotte area.

Oh yea Mac's rocks. I haven't been to your location but I have been to South Blvd. and the one off Tryon a bunch of times.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #11 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I talked to LKN Jeep, and they said they couldn't find a used engine, and I would be looking at $4,700 in charges/labor for the engine they would be able to get.

I asked him what exactly they found wrong with my engine and he stated that while he didnt look at it, his Tech said their 'theory' was it was bad Wristpins and something about a Cam.

Now I can tell you how many pounds of Brisket, Pork and Beer Can Chicken it takes to feed a party of 200,and how long to smoke each meat, but nothing about Engines.

If they haven't taken anything apart, how can I justify spending that much on a theory? I told him thanks, and I'll be there Tuesday morning to pick it up and take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

Going to Keffer tomorrow and dropping Jeep off.
Also looking up Used Engines on my own.
post #12 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Wheeler

A Guy up here got his motor replaced for a bit over 2k... cdn... if I remember correctly. Also apparently a bad lifter in these motors sounds like a knock in the bottom end... so I'm told by the tech I know who works for a dealer.

There must have been a time when we could have said no.

06 LJ Rubi with JK axles and stuff
10 JKU Sahara with Rubi axles RIP
post #13 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I talked to LKN Jeep, and they said they couldn't find a used engine, and I would be looking at $4,700 in charges/labor for the engine they would be able to get.

I asked him what exactly they found wrong with my engine and he stated that while he didnt look at it, his Tech said their 'theory' was it was bad Wristpins and something about a Cam.

Now I can tell you how many pounds of Brisket, Pork and Beer Can Chicken it takes to feed a party of 200,and how long to smoke each meat, but nothing about Engines.

If they haven't taken anything apart, how can I justify spending that much on a theory? I told him thanks, and I'll be there Tuesday morning to pick it up and take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

Going to Keffer tomorrow and dropping Jeep off.
Also looking up Used Engines on my own.
A used 3.8 shouldn't be hard to find. Do some research and have a good independent shop do the swap if it comes to that. I had some ticking that was more like a thumping on my 2008 JK and came to find out that the dealership was putting 10W30 in when I had my oil changed!? These guys should know better!! Anyway, put the right oil in and the noise is gone and so are my worries!!

My father in law works at Rick Hendrick's City Chevrolet in Charlotte and we always visit from Atlanta. I will definitely be checking out the food and your rig next time we come up!!

Make sure you find a good place for second opinion. We would help at our shop If we were closer!! Good luck!!!

RENEGADE
post #14 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hey ya'll thanks a lot for the replies.

When I bought it used, I took it to get the oil changed for the first time and they said the wrong oil was being used by the previous owner. Now the correct oil is in there, does it take long to have the correct oil to go through the system? Would it cause an annoying ticking sound? Is this something that will pass? Or eventually blow up and leave me stranded on a dirt road?

Regardless, I'm going to find other shops to look at it.

Thanks for the help.
And if you are ever in the area, come see me, and come hungry/thirsty. I got you.
-Drew
post #15 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Wheeler

The wrong oil was used? I'm assuming they mean the wrong viscosity, but I'm unsure how they could tell this during the oil change...unless it was ATF or something. Where did you get this oil change?

If it was an oil issue that caused damage, the damage is most likely already done, and putting the "correct" oil in there will not fix it, but may prolong the life. If it was ticking from under pressurized lifters, then the correct oil would fix it. As others have stated though, I would definitely get a second opinion. Ticking can be caused by LOTS of things, and to assume wrist pins is a bit of a stretch. Also, to an untrained ear, ticking and knocking sound similar. Knocking = $$$.
post #16 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 10:35 AM

If I were you I would take the Jeep to Tarheel 4wd in Charlotte and ask for Steve. He knows Jeeps very well and could probably diagnose your problem for you for just a few bucks by doing simple things like a compression test and checking for exhaust leaks, pulling a valve cover on the side with the tick and inspecting the rockers, etc. Your problem could be major or it could be a really cheap and easy fix. BEWARE! Dealers swap old parts for new until the problem goes away. They don't fix anything anymore. It is in their best interest that you buy a new engine from them. Steve is not trying to make a living swapping out $5000 engines so he hasn't got a stake in what you ultimately decide to do. He'll give you an honest unbiased opinion and if a new engine is in your future he might even be able to help you locate a good used one. He doesn't sell engines though. BTW I am not affiliated with Tarheel. Just a satisfied customer.
post #17 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:

Holy Crap! I have an 2009 with 31k and this just happened to me! It's at the dealer right now getting a new engine under warranty. I'm sorry yours isn't covered. However, their is something terribly wrong with these minivan engines (besides under powered). I'm thinking oil pump!

My engine "tick" started on the top end (like it was starved for oil). Once that was replaced, there was a "tick" in the bottom end. Dealer can't or didn't say how it happened. I was told that the manufacture would determine the actual cause when the engine was shipped back. They just told the dealer to replace the engine.

BTW....... Wrong oil? No way!!! Not unless you used axle grease! Seriously, I'm pretty religious about maintenance and always used factory specified oil on every vehicle I've owned.

ADD

Last edited by JK-ADD77; 03-08-2011 at 10:50 AM.
post #18 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
that ^ IF it truely needed to be replaced

When is it ticking? Does the ticking change with the rpm of the engine?

Cracked exhaust manifolds produce a ticking noise, but usually go away once engine/exhaust warms up.

Definitely get a 2nd opinion and I wouldnt mention what the dealer told you.
x2. I have yet to hear a JK that doesn't "tick." Mine's been ticking for about 30,000 mi. The engine still seems to run just fine.
post #19 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverzendz View Post
x2. I have yet to hear a JK that doesn't "tick." Mine's been ticking for about 30,000 mi. The engine still seems to run just fine.
This is a different than the normal 3.8L "tick." Mine happened at accereration and increased with the RPMs. It was obvious in my case. I'm not sure about the OP!?!?

ADD

post #20 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADSTR6 View Post
If I were you I would take the Jeep to Tarheel 4wd in Charlotte and ask for Steve. He knows Jeeps very well and could probably diagnose your problem for you for just a few bucks by doing simple things like a compression test and checking for exhaust leaks, pulling a valve cover on the side with the tick and inspecting the rockers, etc. Your problem could be major or it could be a really cheap and easy fix. BEWARE! Dealers swap old parts for new until the problem goes away. They don't fix anything anymore. It is in their best interest that you buy a new engine from them. Steve is not trying to make a living swapping out $5000 engines so he hasn't got a stake in what you ultimately decide to do. He'll give you an honest unbiased opinion and if a new engine is in your future he might even be able to help you locate a good used one. He doesn't sell engines though. BTW I am not affiliated with Tarheel. Just a satisfied customer.
I usually don't do this but please steer clear of Tarheel 4WD. I was screwed pretty good by them and I know of a number of others that were also. I wouldn't say anything if I didn't have first hand knowledge. I'm not going to get into the story but I can assure you that I will never recommend them to anyone. If you want to find an independent place head over to NC4x4.com and post up over there and you will probably have a half dozen or so in the greater Charlotte area offer help.

Hell if you want I'll take a listen to it for you and tell you how serious I think it is. I live right down in Huntersville. If you want to come down PM me.

Jeremey

post #21 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Granite Guru

How much you wanna bet it's just a cracked manifold....
post #22 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Rock God

Thats kind of what I was thinking. We'll see if he takes me up on my offer.

post #23 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 03:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
I usually don't do this but please steer clear of Tarheel 4WD. I was screwed pretty good by them and I know of a number of others that were also. I wouldn't say anything if I didn't have first hand knowledge. I'm not going to get into the story but I can assure you that I will never recommend them to anyone. If you want to find an independent place head over to NC4x4.com and post up over there and you will probably have a half dozen or so in the greater Charlotte area offer help.

Hell if you want I'll take a listen to it for you and tell you how serious I think it is. I live right down in Huntersville. If you want to come down PM me.

Jeremey
this^^^^ Tarheel is expensive as all hell

$240 labor to swap my radiator out. I could and have changed it myself in half the time they charged me. I was down in Charlotte for training and had them do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #24 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
How much you wanna bet it's just a cracked manifold....
I'll bet you! If I win or lose, I'm still ahead!
I'm the guy with the "new" engine!

Sent from my "Walkie Talkie."

ADD

post #25 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
this^^^^ Tarheel is expensive as all hell

$240 labor to swap my radiator out. I could and have changed it myself in half the time they charged me. I was down in Charlotte for training and had them do it
I was in a similar situation when I first moved down here and all my tools and stuff were up in Jersey still so I really didn't have a choice but to have someone else do the work. Needless to say a month later the work that they fixed had failed again. Well they told me to bring it back and they would fix it and maybe they would cover it. I said F#&% that because I had a shop to work in and I would look at it myself. Well when I pulled it apart I found pieces of the old parts that they replaced. Needless to say I was pissed and called and they told me that there was no possible way that had happened. I said well I will bring you everything I pulled out and I'll bring it to you. When I showed up with a bag of bearings they pretty much told me I was trying to scam them. At that point I just turned and walked out. No reason to argue with people that think they are gods in the Jeep world. They are about 10 years behind the curve.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode