What do you (can you) plug into your center console USB port? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

What do you (can you) plug into your center console USB port?

I'm trading in my 07 rubicon to "downgrade" to a new sport. The reason is mainly because i want manual transmission and half doors. (I want a Jeep that feels like a Jeep) Also i got a great deal on the rubicon so they're actually giving me $1500 more for trade than i paid.

But thats not the reason for this post.

I know that when you get the connectivity group you get a USB prot in the center console. I do also know that it works with some ipods. But what im wondering is does it work with anything else? (flash drives? android phones?)

FYI I'm not doing any other radio upgrades.

Just not sure if its worth the extra cash to add the connectivity group. And the dealer knows very very little about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 04:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Edit:
It appears to be an input device....so you should be able to use a thumb drive for music or an android phone in disk mode etc...

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!

Last edited by SONIC; 03-06-2011 at 04:46 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

so is there a kit i can use on my 07 unlim x to run a thumb drive?

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Wheeler

Garage

AFAIK, it only works as a way to import music and pictures onto the hard drive of the head unit from a thumb drive. I just usually end up using it to charge my shitty iPhone 3G since I have the iPod interface cable.

2010 2-door, Dark Charcoal, 6-speed Rubi
post #5 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

webhead, I think your talking about the USB port on the front of the touch screen radios. right? my current rubicon has that and it is indeed for uploading music to the hard drive.

What i'm talking about is the port that is added to the center console when you add the connectivity group. You don't need to upgrade to a radio with a hard drive to get this port. (but you do need to upgrade to the sirius radio).

woomdawg, I read something on a forum that people were getting this usb port added by the dealer. (i dont recall details of what year or what radio they had).
It appears it works with ipods, but don't know about thumb drives. Thats what i'm trying to figure out.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Wheeler

The USB port in the center console does play flash drives of MP3, WMA, playlists, maybe more types. I have an 8gb in there and don't have the nav head. I'm pretty sure it will play from phones plugged in and it certainly works with ipods and iphones.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Rock God

I can understand trading an 07 for a 10 or 11; but where the hell did a Rubicon not, "Feel like a Jeep"? the fawking mall? You want something that "Feels Like a Jeep" I'll trade you my 01 TJ for your 10 or 11.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-07-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Chris, thanks that's exactly the kind of info i was looking for

Kicker, great post, very helpful..... very very helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode