Add some power? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Add some power?

Does anybody have any suggestions or solutions for our underpowered v6's? Preferably some cost-effective methods. Im not convinced air intakes are all that beneficial for the money, unless someone can convince me otherwise. Superchargers or any other forced air systems efficient? What would a decent setup for one of those cost? Id love to add something when I hit the pedal, especially on the freeway.

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsport View Post
Does anybody have any suggestions or solutions for our underpowered v6's? Preferably some cost-effective methods. Im not convinced air intakes are all that beneficial for the money, unless someone can convince me otherwise. Superchargers or any other forced air systems efficient? What would a decent setup for one of those cost? Id love to add something when I hit the pedal, especially on the freeway.
Did a CAI, TB spacer, cat-back exhaust and Superchips Flashpaq. Superchips made the biggest improvement, the rest not so much. Part of the problem is the weak engine itself, the other part is the throttle response and conservative factory engine mapping/shift points. Superchips def helps resolve the latter, much more enjoyable on the highway, about $330 if you look around.

Next up from that would be a supercharger. Search the forums and you'll see reports from guys who installed different manufacturer's kits. But IMHO, unless you've got money to burn, probably better investing in an econobox for daily driving to save on the gas.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #3 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Hmm superchips huh? Did you get that installed before the others engine mods? How come you just put on a catback? No headers/downpipe etc...

Thanks for the tip tho. Gonna look into the chip, Id love to not see the rpms flying when its climbing up hill.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Rock God

I have a superchips and am not all that happy with it. Does it give more power, yea a little.
I have been told the Diablo tuner is a little more aggressive, not sure about that though.
Ripp headers may be in the future for me, problem with those is they are pricey.

post #5 of 34 Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Lots of people have installed Viper throttle bodies. Direct bolt on and most people have seen power and mileage improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #6 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 04:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

You could also try the gas pedal adapter, which plugs in the gas pedal wiring and controls the computer with a more linear response curve...
With this you push the pedal and stuff happens, while without the adapter you push the pedal, Jeep takes some time to think, and decides to give it some...
Dont remember the name...
post #7 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxxis View Post
You could also try the gas pedal adapter, which plugs in the gas pedal wiring and controls the computer with a more linear response curve...
With this you push the pedal and stuff happens, while without the adapter you push the pedal, Jeep takes some time to think, and decides to give it some...
Does nothing for actual power, once the delay is over it's still just an underpowered 3.8l

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Does nothing for actual power, once the delay is over it's still just an underpowered 3.8l
It's called the Sprint Booster. Saw this used with VW's, too.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #9 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Start with a Diablosport tuner. It added 10 wheel horsepower which isnt much but also firmed up the shifting. It def made for a "noticable" difference in ride.

If that doesnt satisfy you, its time for a supercharger. I have the Avenger Super Charger Kit (https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34086) and absolutely love it. It was the best investment I have made into my JK.
post #10 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Been reading the viper TB threads... Wtffff...head spinning. Im a newb. No experience. Have limited $ to spend appropriately. TB - understood, intake - cold air or snorkel (decision time), tuner...how the f*ck am I gonna know how to program that?

Seems like people are asking for help with this stuff but noone is offering specific guidance. Im only through page 8 of who knows how many in the thread...but for someone whos looking for advice on these forums, "play with it" "give it a try" "thats what I did" doesnt cut it and doesnt help. Dont have the time/money/know how to afford to be able to do that. Not everyone has that luxury.

Anyone offer any more DIRECT advice on this topic?

post #11 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Anyone offer any more DIRECT advice on this topic?
Same people that went to that thread can be here. How about you contact diablo and ask them if the information you have found is insufficient. Not many on here are 3.8l engineers or jeep electrical engineers that can give you "direct" information. People have done trial and error modifications for years because of that. I see your planned mods get more air in, air needs to get back out you know (exhaust/headers) if you are serious.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #12 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Rock God

Arrow

No one is gonna hold your hand here man. We don't mind helping but you're not asking a specific question. Just a broad blanket one. You want to know what you can bolt on to make more power... Do searches, the info is here. No one posts how much power a mod makes because we don't have dynos. We also repect the fact that individuals have had differing experiences with products and manufacturers. Do some research, base an opinion on that, spend some time and money, get dirty. Then when you're done be happy with the results. If things don't come out the way you like you can't get butt hurt. If money is that tight, I doubt a Jeep was the right purchase.
post #13 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
It's called the Sprint Booster. Saw this used with VW's, too.
Yeah exact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Yeah exact, BUT if you hate the delay while the Jeep thinks before giving it a go, it resolves this side of the equation...
I for one really hate it when I'm trying to pass a car/change lane and I have to wait 2-3 seconds before it decides to go...
I learnt to deal with it but I hate it still.
post #14 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
The automatic in the JK's is a dog, at least in the one that I drove and that one had 5.13's. I've heard different people say different things about the 4Lo setting with the auto. I've got the manual trans and have zero power issues, of course I want a bigger motor and all that goes with it, but that aint happnin today. Check out the Extreme 4x4 build where they put in a supercharger. It's half the price of the Hemi conversion and you get about 75% of what the Hemi would give you in HP, not mention you might have a slightly less GVW when completed. I've got the CAI and the TB, they were the first things I did, I've also gone the programmer route, but it's been such a long time since I did any of that stuff I don't remember if it helped much or not. Don't know if this helped at all.....

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #15 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Yeah exact.

Yeah exact, BUT if you hate the delay while the Jeep thinks before giving it a go, it resolves this side of the equation...
I for one really hate it when I'm trying to pass a car/change lane and I have to wait 2-3 seconds before it decides to go...
I learnt to deal with it but I hate it still.
Agreed, I don't see that perspective. Downshifting and letting the tires bring things up to speed masks that

post #16 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernmedic View Post
No one is gonna hold your hand here man. We don't mind helping but you're not asking a specific question. Just a broad blanket one. You want to know what you can bolt on to make more power... Do searches, the info is here. No one posts how much power a mod makes because we don't have dynos. We also repect the fact that individuals have had differing experiences with products and manufacturers. Do some research, base an opinion on that, spend some time and money, get dirty. Then when you're done be happy with the results. If things don't come out the way you like you can't get butt hurt. If money is that tight, I doubt a Jeep was the right purchase.
Not looking for hand-holding here...just some more direct advice as far as THIS product goes for a beginner. Thats one aim of this forum is it not? Maybe I wasnt as clear as I should have been so thats my fault. But I mentioned the tuner and not knowing "how" to go about that. I tried to do my part. Sat here and read/reread all 12 pages of that thread. Got some info. Realize what key elements I need to work from with THIS product as a starting point.

But when it comes to the engine and ECU...cmon, cant expect someone new to the game to be able to understand or be familiar. One member did a great job of outlining WHAT can be tuned but by direct I meant HOW do I tune them? Tune them to WHAT? Some numbers, some hard quantitative info. A push in the right direction. It was not my intent to say "hey guys do this for me bc im lazy."

And as far as the Jeep not being the right purchase...idk what to say to that. Kind of a rough comment. I wasnt aware that to be able to own, or ENJOY your jeep or take part in a forum or wanting to do some simple mods it required a monetary checklist as well. And lets not forget, this mod is ONLY $130 for the TB. Im not talking lifting, tires, bumpers, axles etc...im talking about some simple mods within MY means. I hardly think a judgement is necessary here.

Im a grad student. Worked my whole life and was able to purchase my own unlimited. Lots of other priorities. Limited time to "get dirty" when im in class 5 days a week 8-5 and work on the weekends. Its my only vehicle. Cant take certain risks with it (lift, swampers, gear ratios or other mods to make it an offroad vehicle more than it already is). So my wants with it are limited for now and I will spend what I can afford to. Thats where some friendly advice comes in.

Everyone started out someplace.

post #17 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I ran the Super Chips for awhile and really enjoyed driving it on the freeway more.

I have the Viper TB right now and it is real similar, but still has a little delay between me punching it and throttle going to work.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #18 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Wheeler

Nicely said jk sport! If you don't like the questions don't comment..
post #19 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

OP i dont think anyone is judging but we really cannot give you specific advice on a general question. Your asking about budget friendly mods to increase power on the vunerable 3.8L, we all feel your pain on this weak powerplant. Without knowing your budget, different people have different definitions of a budget, we can't tell you what you could get most out of your money. Lets just say you had $500 to spend, it seems the general concensus would be a tuner of some kind since it not only adds HP will also change shift points and what not. Most units are easy to use and if you buy at a jeep/4x4 shop they can put the settings in for you or you can buy online and take it to your local shop. The $500 should be more than enough to cover the unit purchased and any labor a shop would charge.

Jeeps are sort of a money pit. Customizing is addicting and most of us wheel pretty hard and things WILL break. lol

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #20 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
OP i dont think anyone is judging but we really cannot give you specific advice on a general question. Your asking about budget friendly mods to increase power on the vunerable 3.8L, we all feel your pain on this weak powerplant. Without knowing your budget, different people have different definitions of a budget, we can't tell you what you could get most out of your money. Lets just say you had $500 to spend, it seems the general concensus would be a tuner of some kind since it not only adds HP will also change shift points and what not. Most units are easy to use and if you buy at a jeep/4x4 shop they can put the settings in for you or you can buy online and take it to your local shop. The $500 should be more than enough to cover the unit purchased and any labor a shop would charge.

Jeeps are sort of a money pit. Customizing is addicting and most of us wheel pretty hard and things WILL break. lol

-Dan
Yea trust me I know theyre not cheap and its a strong addiction hah. I had an '04 TJ for 4 years. Just a matter of picking battles. To each his own and I dont claim to be a wheeler by any means but would love to have that kinda rig one day. So for the time being I need to rely on it as my main driver and will get it muddy when I can find some trails and enjoy it or stick to the stock level at Rausch as Ive done previously. Lots of hgwy time for me and local driving so tires gotta stay reasonable and I would like to have the ease/power on the road.

But thanks for the other info. The 3.8 is defff in need of some work and yes a budget would make it easier. I should have been more clear. Im not unreasonable, I know engine mods will be costly and was expecting to start at around $5-600. I said budget friendly just because I wanted to get a baseline for the cheaper routes and then see if I can work my way up. Its harder to start in the middle of a list...just figured it'd be easier to start at the bottom and work up. But I didnt know the stores could help you with that. A lot of auto stores around me dont like to touch parts they didnt purchase or have policies wher they wont install it if you dindt buy it through them. Egos? Idk. But I need to find a good 4x4 place around me I guess.

Everyone kept talking about the diablo tuner for the Viper TB so I didnt know if it could be bought in stores. Like I said im in class till 5 every day so its hard to get out and make the run around inquiries when it seems like theres a million questions. I figured going to the source and asking specific JK members would be more efficient.

Its not that I dont have THE money, its just a matter of allocating it and being fiscally responsible. I have budgeted enough to consider a decent setup to help this "weak powerplant." Intake, TB, tuner...for now. Ive seen the custom tuners can adjust appropriately for more air, bigger tires, TB etc...bc thats basically what I have. And that all makes sense to me. Where I get lost is the shifting ratios, gears etc.

Thanks Dan

post #21 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

I think you are miss- understanding what a tuner does... The tuner programming comes from the company you have no direct input you just pick some of the settings. Super easy for the superchips you plug it in and follow the instructions.
post #22 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I think you are miss- understanding what a tuner does... The tuner programming comes from the company you have no direct input you just pick some of the settings. Super easy for the superchips you plug it in and follow the instructions.
Hmm...I understood it as a manually-imputted (did I just make that word up) process. Read the thread, one promoter said he kept his handheld device in his glove and changed the settings as needed.

Understood that certain products may operate differently. Superchips are standardized for the stock rig and is ordered pre-set. But a custom mod (as the Diablo Sport) would allow on the fly customization. No?

post #23 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 11:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Hmm...I understood it as a manually-inputted (did I just make that word up) (yeah but I spell checked it for you anyway) process. Read the thread, one promoter said he kept his handheld device in his glove and changed the settings as needed.

Understood that certain products may operate differently. Superchips are standardized for the stock rig and is ordered pre-set. But a custom mod (as the Diablo Sport) would allow on the fly customization. No?
This is my understanding as well. Although at this point, surely there are some basic tunes available for the JK.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #24 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbsjeep View Post
problem with those is they are pricey.

But they work...

Made in the USA
Proven Product
Excellent client reviews
Complete bolt on

RIPPTECH
post #25 of 34 Old 03-07-2011, 03:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
But they work...

Made in the USA
Proven Product
Excellent client reviews
Complete bolt on

RIPPTECH
Not CARB compliant or emissions legal in many states! Sorry RIPP, great product, but that is a HUGE detrament for alot of us.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode