nutcert help installing body armor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old 03-05-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
nutcert help installing body armor

I drilled my holes for my PS body armor. Careful not to drill too deep. I place a nutcert into the hole but it doesn't sit flush. Instructions say to not drill through second wall. Is it okay for it to stick out about a 1/4"?

Will try to up load a picture in a few. Thanks

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 03-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Rock God

yeah i know what you mean.. their are some on the lower part that you cant get in all the way without drilling into the second layer of metal...
post #3 of 65 Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Rock God

I had to drill through on at least 2 holes, and another 2 I used a transfer punch to get the little bit of clearance I needed. If you leave the nutcert out that far you wont get it installed correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thats what I thought, but wanted to double check.

As I go along the first couple were not bad, so I was like, this shouldn't be too bad...then all hell broke loose, lots of four letter words, I contemplated life for a while. 7 down and a shit ton more to go!

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #5 of 65 Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Granite Guru

Just installed their body armor this past week. You definitely need to drill thru the second panel on a few of em. I called PS and double checked. And...be very careful with the hole by the lower hinge on the front of each door. Those are the holes that will cause you to distort the sheet metal when u drill em. There's a curved second panel behind them that causes the bit to kick to the side. I had to use a punch on the second panel of those two holes to get clearance for the nutserts. It's definitely a PIA to install them, but it's worth it. Just take your time and make sure your bit is centered in the body armor holes before drilling. Otherwise...you're gonna have some serious problems with getting the bolts to thread into the nutserts. They just won't line up if their off by even a fraction.
post #6 of 65 Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
post #7 of 65 Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Wheeler

I actually unbolted the bottom bolts on the front finders to get some room to set the nutserts.
post #8 of 65 Old 03-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
My thoughts EXACTLY! U don't wanna know what I'm goin thru with their Crusher Flares! Let's just say...the second set is on their way. I really hope they fit!
post #9 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:
post #10 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 03:40 AM
Granite Guru

Ive had mine sitting in the garage for a couple months now...Still not mentally ready to take on the challenge
post #11 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 03:42 AM
Rock God

its really not that bad.. you might even want to get a nut insert tool.. at harbor freight .. makes it easier than using the little thing they give you to insert them
post #12 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I am using the HF tool too, its not bad, just trying to get the strength to crush it on some is a PITA. I need some Popeye arms.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #13 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

http://www.blindrivetsupply.com/Mars...es_p_2702.html

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Rock God

i think this is the harbor frieght one that will work

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-...kit-94100.html

Last edited by block; 03-06-2011 at 07:16 AM.
post #15 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

hehehehe.......nutserts.

Here's an epic discussion on them: Epic Nutsert Dicussion

Lots of good info there....
Attached Images

post #16 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Wheeler

Nutsert Tool

I just stumbled onto this thread; and I don't know what your supplied tool looks like; but I recently augmented a supplied tool for the nutserts I installed while mounting my sliders.

The "tool" consisted of the nutsert, a "spacer nut" (inside thread dia. is greater than the O.D. of the Allen bolt threads; allowing the Allen bolt shaft to turn freely inside of the "spacer nut") which provides a holding/grip point for the tool and nutsert assembly, and a "tightening/compressing Allen bolt.

First, I added a star washer between the nutsert and the "spacer nut"; which creates friction between the "spacer (holding) nut" and the nutsert; minimizing the potential for the nutsert to spin in it's intended hole when tightening.

Second, I added two flat washers between the "spacer/holding nut" and the Allen bolt. I stacked the washers such that their slightly crowned and more "polished" surfaces faced each other. This creates a bearing surface between the turning Allen bolt head and the non-turning "spacer/holding nut" during the tightening/compressing of the nutsert.

Add a little WD-40 to the Allen bolt threads and the two washers (note: try not to get any on the outside of the nutsert compression flanges). Insert the nutsert and tool assembly into the intended hole. Hold the assembly with a combination wrench; and press in on your ratchet and Allen socket as you tighten. Worked like a champ for me!

When installing a nutsert in a location that has multiple layers of sheetmetal; it is imperative to enlarge the hole in the "inner" sheetmetal layers; to allow for the mushrooming of the nutsert compression flange. I used a rotary file bit in my die grinder. At the least, you need to thin out the layers; if you can't widen them enough. This will allow the compression flange to push the metal out of the way and squeeze tight against the back of the skin you're mounting the nutsert in.

Hope that helps some.
Attached Images

6" FTLA w/HD TB & SS,
JKS spg rets., rr spg mnts.
37" BFG KM2, 17x9 MT clssc II, Blstn 5100,
Finishline West RB, LoD FB, SB XRC10
PP mod'fd boat sldrs, ARB rr DC's, TERA 44 frt xl hsg,
Sup'r CrMo xls, 5.13 R&P, Reel 1310 DS,
Kilby Evap, Bnchmrk KISS, B&M Trans culr,
sPOD; Aeroforce, FlashPac, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow relo,
Cobra 75, 4' Firestik, Woods Hood & TG holds
post #17 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
its really not that bad.. you might even want to get a nut insert tool.. at harbor freight .. makes it easier than using the little thing they give you to insert them
I got picked up the harbor freight tool a while ago too...I'll get to them someday
post #18 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM
Rock God

I've posted this response a few other places.
If you have a compressor, then a butterfly impact like this one from Northern Tool for $28 works wonders. And it can be used for a lot of other jobs too.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2363_200322363
Light weight, easy to hanlde, just the right torque to set the nutsert without spinning it.
Vise grips on the spin nut to hold it steady. No wobbling from using a ratchet.
Makes quick work of puting them in. I should have had my son record a video clip when I did this putting in the Crusher flares.
post #19 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Granite Guru

After installing the RROR Crusher Corners and the PSC Body Armor, I can tell you that nutserts suck big time!!! RROR made the correct choice and PSC failed big time (in my personal opinion). Well nuts are more expensive but way better for what we are trying to do.

While at Ace Hardware today I found that they actually carry "well nuts." They are considerably more expensive then nutserts (~$2) but you can probably shop around and find them cheaper.

If I could do it over again I would have spent the extra money on well nuts and used them to install my body armor.

Reasons I like the well nuts better:

1) more forgiving if the hole is not centered prefect
2) if stripped removal is much easier (trust me I know for a fact)
3) I imagine that the rubber provides dapening or noise cancelation if something worked its way loose.

Guys who have not done the install yet, do yourself a favor and throw PSCs nutsert bag in the trash (keep the screws). They are shit and PSC made a huge mistake in choosing the cheap ass nutserts over the well nuts (again this is my opinion). Go spend the extra $30-50 bucks and buy the well nuts (1/4 x 20 shallow ones) if you want to be truly happy with you install.

RROR Crusher Corners do not sit as flush to the body as I would like, so that is my knock on them... Go get some 1/2" foam door trim to cover the gaps and it will look ok, but not perfection that I seek when doing something.
post #20 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Granite Guru

One more thought...

Well nuts require a much bigger hole to install (5/8" I believe).

I may try to go back with a 5/8" hole saw bit and drill out my nutserts to replace these F'ed up little bastards. In my mind I imagine that a 5/8" hole saw bit will allow me to take those little bastards out so I don't have to push anymore of them into the body cavity than I already have.

Good luck Jeepin brothers!!!

Like this:

Last edited by Cbass122; 03-06-2011 at 12:35 PM.
post #21 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Rock God

post #22 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Mr. RonGilbert has succinctly summarized my thoughts on nutserts.

Good job sir
post #23 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
Yes, that is them.
post #24 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 12:47 PM
Granite Guru

I spent many hours the other day trying to tap a nutsert, drill it out, grab it with pliers to reset it. I spent much time swearing, placing the palm of my hand on my forehead, swearing some more, kicking shit, etc. EF nutserts.

If you try what I am thinking of doing first please let me know how it works out. I have not actually done this yet so I don't know if using the hole saw bit will let you take the nutsert out or not. Just a theory right now...
post #25 of 65 Old 03-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbass122 View Post
I spent many hours the other day trying to tap a nutsert, drill it out, grab it with pliers to reset it. I spent much time swearing, placing the palm of my hand on my forehead, swearing some more, kicking shit, etc. EF nutserts.

If you try what I am thinking of doing first please let me know how it works out. I have not actually done this yet so I don't know if using the hole saw bit will let you take the nutsert out or not. Just a theory right now...
I used a dremel tool to grind the head off carefully and let it fall inside. Put a new nutsert in when I was doing the crusher flares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode