2011 ES"C" Program Change? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

2011 ES"C" Program Change?

We have had 100's of JK's since 2007. As everyone knows, the 2011 has a restyled interior, but no mechanical changes that were advertised. All of us have become very familiar with the "ESP" system of the JK, and especially the glorious "ESP/BAS" light. On the 2011's, one of the first things we noticed was that, upon shifting to 4L, you don't get the "ESP OFF" message--you get "ESC OFF"..."ESC"? What did Jeep get tired of us making fun of a clairvoyant Jeep?

During a left-foot braking video, we had several of our Jeeps out: 2009's, 2010's, 2011's. We all noticed that the Traction Control aspect (the limited slip feature effected through the ABS system) functioned noticeably better on the 2011's that were in all other ways identical to the older Jeeps. Some of our 2010's have the same or fewer miles than some of our 11's, so it's not a matter of miles or wear--it's programming! In fact, while left-foot braking works better than the automatic traction control system on the 2010's and earlier, the 2011 actually outperformed the capability of the driver in many of the instances of traction loss we tried--very impressive!

Off the subject, but here is the video we were shooting--look for it and the accompanying article in the next issue of JPFreek Magazine: YouTube - Left-Foot Braking
All of the Jeeps with spinning tires in the video are 2010 or older because our 2011's refused to get stuck.

Just wanted to know if anyone has heard about this anywhere? Or knows what other program changes there may be?

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've noticed that in my 2011. I can hang a tire and it will lock that wheel up almost instantly. I've never wheeled another JK to know the difference though. I work for Land Rover and have a lot of wheeling time in them and they work the same way.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Granite Guru

what about the Down hill decent in the 11
We gust bought a 2011 Rubicon and it has that feature in it haven't tried it out yet (Florida being flat) but I did notice that it was there...

Lifted Locked Armored on 37's
I live I ride I go over shit
Geezer's Tank & Tinker Rubi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

You work for Land Rover and own a 2011 Wrangler? Yesssss!

Ok, seriously, Jeep does tend to lag behind LR in the tech department, so I don't know why Jeep isn't publicizing the "new and improved traction control"?

Nena Barlow

post #5 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post
You work for Land Rover and own a 2011 Wrangler? Yesssss!

Ok, seriously, Jeep does tend to lag behind LR in the tech department, so I don't know why Jeep isn't publicizing the "new and improved traction control"?
I don't know why they don't publicize it more. The 2011 has a bunch of those little features that they don't really publicize like holding the brakes for a second when you press the clutch so you don't roll backwards on inclines and the hill decent control.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperbob View Post
what about the Down hill decent in the 11
We gust bought a 2011 Rubicon and it has that feature in it haven't tried it out yet (Florida being flat) but I did notice that it was there...
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about that--of course, that, too, would take a program change. It's Hill Descent Control. (I find it irritating that Chrysler has gone all cheap and gives us lame and useless owner's manuals on CD now--nothing in there to explain to owners how to use it!)

HDC works like cruise control in that it holds your speed wherever you set the button, EXCEPT it works downhill and uses the brake system to keep you slowed to whatever speed, and it also functions as anti-slide/anti-skid.

The application is for descending long, steep hills, so you don't have to do the riding the brake down the hill. You can hit the gas and speed up briefly, or hit the brake, but then the system will go back to wherever you set it until you push the button to turn it off. We even tried it in Neutral and it worked great! (Not that I recommend that!)

Those of us who are old school will not like it, but I can see how useful it would be on those long grades in Colorado trails, where 4L on the Rubi is too low, and 4H on the is too high on the automatics, even using tranny gears, so you keep having to tap brakes while descending--now I can just set the HDC!

Nena Barlow

post #7 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

While there may be program changes on the 2011 Jeep wranglers the ESP/ESC has little to do with this. The term ESP in proprietary to Daimler and likely Chrysler group LLC has to pay to use the term since its Daimler's Patent. The term ESC is a more generic term for the same thing. Sounds like Jeep did a better job reprogramming than Daimler did.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #8 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 07:52 PM
Rock God

Fiat you mean. lol
post #9 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCk-NeSs MoNsTeR View Post
Fiat you mean. lol
Sure....

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #10 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Yes, the no-rollback is refreshing--we had to "fake" it for the video, 'cause no one had a TJ handy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
While there may be program changes on the 2011 Jeep wranglers the ESP/ESC has little to do with this. The term ESP in proprietary to Daimler and likely Chrysler group LLC has to pay to use the term since its Daimler's Patent. The term ESC is a more generic term for the same thing.
The point was that, apparently, more than the terminology changed.

Nena Barlow

post #11 of 17 Old 03-05-2011, 11:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The "no rollback thing" that you speak of is Hill Start Assist and it's not new to the 2011. I've got it on my 2009.

EDIT: This was my 2,000th post on JKO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

Last edited by jeeperjkj; 03-05-2011 at 11:55 PM.
post #12 of 17 Old 03-06-2011, 04:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Glad to hear they are making changes to the ESP system! I have an 07 so I feel like I dealt with enough reprograms/replaced ESP parts for a lifetime. Maybe that means they fixed the brake replacement at 20-30k issue too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroader613 View Post
yeah...I decided to go and finish on the tree
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
post #13 of 17 Old 03-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Rock God

Is it unreasonable to expect these program changes to be available for earlier years during regular service or do you have to buy a 2011 for them?

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #14 of 17 Old 03-06-2011, 04:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
The "no rollback thing" that you speak of is Hill Start Assist and it's not new to the 2011. I've got it on my 2009.

oops. Well my TJ doesn't have it
post #15 of 17 Old 03-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Granite Guru

Torque has a big part in the functionality of the brake lock diffs I think.

The automatic diesels we have here barely get stuck in cross-axle situations - they are visibly more effective than the petrols which require REVS to make them work.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #16 of 17 Old 03-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDTom View Post
Torque has a big part in the functionality of the brake lock diffs I think.

The automatic diesels we have here barely get stuck in cross-axle situations - they are visibly more effective than the petrols which require REVS to make them work.
ohhhhh Diesel....ohhhhhh

jd

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #17 of 17 Old 03-09-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post

All Rubicons have exhibited "no rollback" this since 2003--it's not due to a TCS, it's due to the low gearing. The Jeep in the video is my 2009--we had to fake the rollback by using 4H.

Congrats on your 2000th post!

Nena Barlow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode