Question for JKOwners with Babies? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-03-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Question Question for JKOwners with Babies?

This is a pretty funny question, but I am looking for some information on a baby car seat for my 15 month old. I am stepping up from the infant carrier and with the top off 7 months a year, I need something that is going to stand up to the elements...

Thoughts???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-03-2011, 09:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think pretty much all car seats are plastic so no worries there. The fabric is going to fade no matter what (unless you can find some kind of spray on UV fabric protection). If the fabric gets wet, just pull it off let it dry.
post #3 of 24 Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

I'll check the brand on the one we're running in my Jeep tomorrow morning... uh, later THIS morning I mean, and post back.

I think it's good to go until she's something like 30-40#'s and taller than my tires, so she's good for now.

Are you saying you're going from the rear-facing to a forward facing seat? I thought you could just spin most models around and use the seat belts at that point?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 PM
GKR
Granite Guru

Britax Boulevard. Probably one of the best child seats out there. (IMHO) Well made, easy to clean/wash. Rear facing 5-40 lbs and up to 70 lbs forward facing. They are proud of them but after 6 years of hard use, it's still in good shape and I gave it to a friend for their child. When wheeling, it was nice to be able to really secure it and then have my son strapped in with the 5 pt. harness.

Last edited by GKR; 03-03-2011 at 10:51 PM.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

this is the sickest for the bigger boogers:
http://www.twistedstitchinc.com/prod...ry=seat&id=134

but alas...
most of us are too poor for that anyway.

If youre really worried about it standing up, you can just get a good second hand seat (cheap) and have a local upholstery shop make a new cover for it from heavy vinyl or another material... maybe aquire a seat skin from a wrecked JK... now that would be awesome... hmmm.....

as for now, our boy is still in the rear facing infant seat. This model is rear facing only and can not be used in a forward facing position. I've already got a couple of seats stored here and there... and i may try getting it recovered in OEM JK seat fabric for that custom design. Most all of the current models use some form of soft-touch materials like velour. Not the first thing you'd consider useful in a topless rig that will see some rain. I cant think of anything current that would look halfway decent and perform the way you want it to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by b1pig; 03-04-2011 at 02:28 AM.
post #6 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 03:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

We've been happy with the graco nautilus, ended up getting another for the wife's car.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #7 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 05:24 AM
Rock God

We use the Britax Line also. They are great seats. I actually did a lot of work at their manufacturing plant here in Charlotte and got to see the manufacturing and testing processes.

I can say this if you child is only 15 months old I would caution you about too much top off driving. The winds and pressure make it hard for them to breath if you didn't already know that. Most pediatricians will tell you to wait until they are closer to 24 months before there lungs are strong enough to handle it.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #8 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 05:56 AM

We use Safety 1st air protect for both kids. Click the links below to see more info & video.
http://airprotect.safety1st.com/product-infant.php-Video

http://airprotect.safety1st.com/prod...ir-carseat.php-Video

Thumbs up to Safety 1st.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
I can say this if you child is only 15 months old I would caution you about too much top off driving. The winds and pressure make it hard for them to breath if you didn't already know that. Most pediatricians will tell you to wait until they are closer to 24 months before there lungs are strong enough to handle it.

Most 15 month olds weigh at least 20 pounds (if not, it won't be long before they do). Check your state but I'm pretty sure 12 months AND 20 pounds is when you can turn them to forward facing. As long as the windows are up there really isn't any wind. If there is, it comes from behind them so it doesn't even hit them in the face. I'm betting you will get more wind in a car with the windows down than you would in a Jeep with the windows up and top down, yet most car driver's don't hesitate to roll their windows down with the kids in the back seat. Toss in the increased turbulence of the wind hitting the rear window and it doesn't matter if the kid is rear or forward facing. Give it a shot. Put the top down, have someone drive you around with the windows up and down, then do it again in a car. You'll see what I'm talking about. If you want to get super scientific about it, hold a Kleenex where the kids face would be and se how much movement there is. But I think you will find it's pretty obvious.
post #10 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Granite Guru

I have heard that Dish Network makes a pretty good one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I have been known to keep tabs on great looking meat.

Looks delicious.

Last edited by 1908_Cubbies; 06-09-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
Most 15 month olds weigh at least 20 pounds (if not, it won't be long before they do). Check your state but I'm pretty sure 12 months AND 20 pounds is when you can turn them to forward facing. As long as the windows are up there really isn't any wind. If there is, it comes from behind them so it doesn't even hit them in the face. I'm betting you will get more wind in a car with the windows down than you would in a Jeep with the windows up and top down, yet most car driver's don't hesitate to roll their windows down with the kids in the back seat. Toss in the increased turbulence of the wind hitting the rear window and it doesn't matter if the kid is rear or forward facing. Give it a shot. Put the top down, have someone drive you around with the windows up and down, then do it again in a car. You'll see what I'm talking about. If you want to get super scientific about it, hold a Kleenex where the kids face would be and se how much movement there is. But I think you will find it's pretty obvious.
Bad information like above can do serious injury to infants. I really suggest to the OP that you speak with your pediatrician and when you do give it a shot make sure someone is with you so that they can check on the child while you are driving.

With that said I have found that I can drive with the freedom panels out or sun-rider open with the rear windows half up my son is fine. When I have the top off I don't do anything but drive around town and I usually have to keep the rear windows 3/4 of the way up. My son is 19 months old and at the top of the charts for his age for reference.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #12 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

We went with one of these for our son.
Not the cheapest but will be able to grow with him as he grows.
We got it for him when he was around 6 months, he is now over 3 years old.
http://www.recarochildseat.com/RECAR...e-car-seat.pro

My wife will now allow my son to drive in my Jeep , but he doesn't like the wind in his face.

post #13 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

We have the Even-flo with the lights on both sides. Austin loves it because he can read books and see his toys. I think it's a great seat.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Bad information like above can do serious injury to infants. I really suggest to the OP that you speak with your pediatrician and when you do give it a shot make sure someone is with you so that they can check on the child while you are driving.

With that said I have found that I can drive with the freedom panels out or sun-rider open with the rear windows half up my son is fine. When I have the top off I don't do anything but drive around town and I usually have to keep the rear windows 3/4 of the way up. My son is 19 months old and at the top of the charts for his age for reference.
The whole thing is off topic of what the OP asked, but since you brought it up and I HATE misinformation, I'll continue. When I got my Jeep I asked my son's pediatrician (a Jeep owner BTW) about this very subject. He was 20 months at the time. She said the only problem she could see was the sun and wind noise and that rolling the windows up would limit that. That was enough for me.

Fast forward to today. I just walked in the house from taking my wife lunch. While I was there I thought "I'm surrounded my RN's and MD's so what a great place to ask this question." She works in an ER. Not a single person thought that this was an issue.

Bottom line, ask your pediatrician. And try my little experiment a couple of posts up just for the hell of it.
post #15 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Rock God

I have three kids. We have only bought Britax seats.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #16 of 24 Old 03-04-2011, 10:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

Quote:

I'm curious why you called that bad information?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #17 of 24 Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
We've been happy with the graco nautilus, ended up getting another for the wife's car.

this guy is right on, my wife spent about 3 months researching car seats for when we had to upgrade to a bigger seat, this is the one we ended up getting, it's like a tank, and the covers come off and go back on fairly easy so they can be washed, not to mention my daughter will be able to use this one for a couple years so we didn't mind spending the little extra cash, if ya got any other questions or anything feel free to drop me a line

I don't need anger management classes you need shut the f*#K up classes.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-05-2011, 03:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Not to knock the guy above but we had the air one that you posted above and after a couple of weeks we gave it away because the buckles were a pain in the butt, we did exchange it for another at first and there was no difference and I really liked the seat but it was too much of a pain and too bulky. We are both tall I'm 6'1" and she's 5'11" so the seats are all the way back and it made it difficult to get him in and out. The nautilus is a little better to get him in and out. The air one also pissed him off as the air pads stuck out so far that no matter how hard he tried to turtle his neck out he could still barely see around them. I'm all about the best and safest for my son but there has to be a happy medium to where he is not miserable trying to see what's going on around him.

As for the top off I took the freedom panels off once or twice when he was about 16-18 monthsold just driving around town and above 40 you could see the wind was annoying him and making it hard to breath, with the soft top folded back in the sunrises position but not folding it back correctly where you have the material sagging over the rear seat helped some also up to about 55. He likes it now as long as we're not going over 60 as it gets too loud. Looking into the spiderweb shade to help with all this but the two mesh choices have me stummped.

Also make sure you walk down the car seat safety accessory isle at babies r us and there is a mat that goes under the seat and it works real well to protect the seat. I have a small hole that the car seat has worn through in the yes fabric. It's from removing the seat when we only had one and setting it on the concrete to swap them and the edges got scuffed which caused it to rub the hole. I also put my knee in the car seat to suck the thing down so it doesn't move.

Hope this helps, I also need to get a set of seat covers as he know enjoys his new foot rests... The back of the front seats, just other things to consider.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #19 of 24 Old 03-05-2011, 10:50 AM
cgm
Wheeler

my little guy turned 1 yesterday, so he is pretty much ready for a new car seat. he is just over 20 lbs, so i am not in a huge rush to install the new seat and have him face forwards. now is a good time to get a deal on a car seat. we picked up two britax marathon classics at target today for $160 each on sale from $200. if you are ready to buy now, babies r us gave me some coupons last week for 20% off a single item. the coupon works from march 4th to the 24th... hell if you cant get a coupon at the store, pm me your address and i can send you one. it is nice to save a little cash whenever possible. 40 bucks is 40 bucks.

all of our research said that britax is the brand to get. from what i understand, all of their models have the same safety protection, just the more expensive ones have a few extra bells and whistles.
post #20 of 24 Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Evenflo Triumph. Rearface until 35 Lbs. then forward to I think 60 lbs. I only have to put the seat a little forward when it's rear facing.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #21 of 24 Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for all the great info. I guess I should have consulted a physician before I threw my baby in the back of the jeep with the top down. I never thought it would be hard to breath for her. However, she had the infant seat and the canopy really limited the amount of wind getting to her. The full doors help also. Since this will be a forward facing seat I think I will need to get a bikini top or the like to limit the wind. My wife has a Britax in hers as well so I will probably go that route...it just gets expensive buying these things for each vehicle.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-07-2011, 05:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Yeah it doesn't take much wind to effect their brathing ability, I remember at times if we just had the front windows open and depending on the direction that we were going related to the wind direction itself made a big difference on how the air entered the cabin and it would make it hard for him to breath as well.

Also the recaro was/is supposed to be really nice but I never could find one to look at as I am a hands on buyer and can't bring myself to buy something like that without sitting him in it, and trying all the buckles and so on.

Make sure you test the buckles (both of them) before you buy because they can be a real PITA to do and undo on some models.

My son just turned 2 on Feb. 4, so I figured this year that I would work on aquiring half doors and getting them complete and ready for next year, I was going to use my up coming B-day in May for this but my wife screwed up and said I can go ahead and order the new Swithcblade front bumper!!! OOOPS!! Haha! Now if Jarred would just return my emails before she catches on....

Anyway hope this helps, also on the buckles make sure that you can undo them from different positions as you never know when and how you will need to unbuckle, and also your rear cup holder will eventually become a "step", so i'm looking for something that will raise it a little bit for him for now, we live out in the country and I pull over once we get to the streets to get to my hose as there is rarely traffic and let him climb in my lap to "drive", he gets sooo excited to drive the Jeep!

Another FYI, when you do have the freedom panels out and your wife runs into the store, and you get a wild hair to let them sit on the sound bar (there was a fire truck parked by us they were eating at Chili's) they tend to not want to get down and then want to be up there all the time, plus the goofy looks you get from all the uptight parents that drive by is rather funny as well. Needless to say it won jr a climb up on the fire truck as the firemen thought it was cool him just sitting up there chilling out with his sunglasses! He really didn't want off the firetruck!!!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

post #23 of 24 Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM
xxj
Wheeler

I have two boys (one is 4 and the other is 1.5) we have 3 Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Baby Seats. 2 of them are in the family hauler and one is in the JK. These seats are pretty awesome, they have multiple mount options, several reclinign posistions, and super easy to clean. I couldn't afford the Brittax seats, so these were in second place when my wife and I bought them.

just my $.02
Good Luck

'07 Unlimited Rubicon Rescue Green
'00 Cherokee Sport Scratch and Dent Blue .... SOLD
post #24 of 24 Old 03-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_Trash View Post
I think pretty much all car seats are plastic so no worries there. The fabric is going to fade no matter what (unless you can find some kind of spray on UV fabric protection). If the fabric gets wet, just pull it off let it dry.
I hear a good coating of mud will protect the car seats from any UV fading...TKOB??? Not sure if the little ones would agree though. I wouldn't necessarily spray anything on the fabric being so close to the baby, who know's what the hell is in those chemicals.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode