Yes...an oil question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-02-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Yes...an oil question

New to the site, New to the Jeep Rubicon,

OK...I already get that some folks think you have to "put on robes" and enter 2 weeks of purfication rights to "read the book"...in this case the offical Jeep manuals and publications.

I'm not in that camp...so please no "...but thou book sayeth to thee..."

I actually submit my used oil for testing to Blackstone or other labs and choose oils & oil weights by lowered wear indicators. I am checking their posted results for the Jeep 3.8 engine...but I also want to hear about real 4x4 users experiences from this site.

What I'm looking for is just straight forward personnal experiences with what oil weights work best for you in warmer, SOCAL desert situations with the 3.8 V6. What keeps the valve clatter away? And what oils don't come out looking like "black water" or completely sheared to death by 2000 miles.

Thanks again for your first hand experiences....

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Granite Guru

I run mobil 1 full synthetic with lucas full syn oil stabilizer. Runs like the day it came off the showroom floor and oil doesn't look too bad at oil change time either. I change mine religiously at 3k. Now I have a manual and im still running mopar tranny fluid cus the slimy bastards wont tell me the weight and every time I ask they say read the book its in there... well the diff fluid weight is but not manual tranny so if you could help with the tranny weight I would be much grateful.

Nice one Codd. Why dont you go have a Crainal Anal Inversion and call me tomorrow?

Thanks to people like you I have job security!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why no officer this is not a potato launcher. Potato launchers are illegal. Why this, this is a Yam launcher!
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use Amsoil for everything in my Jeep. Very happy with it all and 24000 kms later no issues.

Here is the listing I use for tranny etc oils...

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehic...EEP+WRANGLER+1

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 11:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Where I live, its 100+ in the summer and freezing in the winter.

I run 10W30 in the summer months and the recommended 5W20 at other times. I always use synthetic.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Rock God

I have free oil changes for the next 3 years now, and I always take out 1 qrt, and put in 1 qrt of lucas oil.

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #6 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Amsoil 0-20 year around in crankcase. Severe Gear 75-90 in both gear boxes. Syncromesh Amsoil in Transmission. Gained 4 miles per gallon (average)
post #7 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Where I live, its 100+ in the summer and freezing in the winter.

I run 10W30 in the summer months and the recommended 5W20 at other times. I always use synthetic.
Why would you run 10w30 at all? Why not 0w30? You would get better start up protection...
post #8 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 05:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010jk View Post
I have free oil changes for the next 3 years now, and I always take out 1 qrt, and put in 1 qrt of lucas oil.
That just seems a bit ridiculous
I generally run Mobile 1 5w30 because it comes in the 5+ Jugs which is just the right amount of oil for the JK.
Change it between 3-5K and have yet to have any come out looking too bad.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 06:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMahaffey View Post
Why would you run 10w30 at all? Why not 0w30?
Because Royal purple doesnt make it

All the stores carry 5w20 and 10w30, from autozone, to walmart, 4wheelparts. I buy good oil, change it when its needed, and make sure it is weather appropriate. All the oil snobs claiming big MPH gains and extra horsepower from oil in their JKs crack me up. I love the guys that special order their shit.

To the op: buy good oil and change it when its needed. No matter what you run, give the air filter some love, all of our dusty trails here will mean more frequent changes.

Last edited by desert dog; 03-04-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode