Bumpstops on a 2.5" coil lift W/33" tires? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Bumpstops on a 2.5" coil lift W/33" tires?

Ok, can someone school me in bumpstops real quick?

Planning on the RK Stock Mod Kit and running 33" (275/70/R18) tires.

I keep reading about bumpstops, but I gotta admit I'm not very well educated on the point behind the upgrades everyone keeps talking about. I sorta understand what they do, but I'm a little fuzzy on the finer details.

From what I (think I) know so far, bumpstops are what keeps you from bottoming out onto your shocks when you hit a hard bump at speed -that would be a bad thing resulting in bent shocks that get replaced a lot. Hence the name bumpstops, right... right?

So as far as offroading and flexing the suspension is concerned, what are bigger, better, beefier bumpstops gonna do for me in terms of my articulation abilities (uptravel/downtravel, etc) and what would someone be risking by running their stockers after doing what I'm planning?

I'm planning on upgrading them anyway, just wanted to get me a little edumacashun ferst.

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 03-01-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 10:46 AM
JKO Addict!

You wont sacrifice anything in terms of down travel but you run the risk of damaging your shock if you full stuff I believe.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Rock God

I ran a 2.5" lift with 33's and used 2" bumpstops in the front only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
You wont sacrifice anything in terms of down travel but you run the risk of damaging your shock if you full stuff I believe.
Ok, so they're protecting the shock when the shock compresses, preventing it from "bottoming out" and bending stuff? Huh, sounds like I was (sorta) right with what I was thinking they do then.

So, to boil it down, upgrading to a larger bumpstop will limit uptravel of the wheels and thus save my shocks from being what stops the wheel when I stuff my tires?

post #5 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjeepr View Post
I ran a 2.5" lift with 33's and used 2" bumpstops in the front only.
Different length of travel between the front and rear being the reason?
I'm just guessing here.

post #6 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

eh i didnt do mine...but i hate my shocks i will when i go to 35's and better shocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #7 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
eh i didnt do mine...but i hate my shocks i will when i go to 35's and better shocks.
That's the thing. I'm upgrading to Bilstein 5100s, and I wanna protect my babies.

post #8 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
That's the thing. I'm upgrading to Bilstein 5100s, and I wanna protect my babies.
makes total sense i didnt have disconnects at the time so i wsnt trippin and now that ive spent some time on es9000s i hope they break im getting an adjustable shock tho

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #9 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Rock God

Why only 33's?
You can easily fit 35's with that lift.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishgutz View Post
Why only 33's?
You can easily fit 35's with that lift.
Because I am pretty certain my wife would cut my throat while I slept if I tried to sell off the brand new 275/70R18 Duratracs I got just last week.

When I burn THEM out, I'll be all set for my 35's

post #11 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
makes total sense i didnt have disconnects at the time so i wsnt trippin and now that ive spent some time on es9000s i hope they break im getting an adjustable shock tho
'Zactly.

I figure that since I like to do the sort of wheeling where discos come in handy, I should just upgrade the bumpstops while I'm under there since I'm a fan of flex & suspension articulation.

I should be getting my hands on some bumpstops from a 2.5" TF kit, so right off the bat, I'll have a frankenlift

post #12 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Rock God

Dan the right size BS will keep you from stuffen your tire too far into the Wheel well. Unsub

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
post #13 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yeah. You should only need em in the front. I have turdy fives and cant even hit the pinch seam in the rear at full stuff... I think its mainly because most people dont disconnect the rear when they wheel like they do the front so it does not flex out as much. I can stuff enough to where I cant fit my finger between the tire and the pench seam but it does not touch or bottom out my shocks.

Mod..Wheel..Break..Repeat

Criminals prefer unarmed victims:Μολὼν λαβέ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I think I understand your question - but I am a two door guy.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Granite Guru

I only get very minor rubbing in the front and rear with 285/75r16 Kevlar MTR on 4.25" BSM 16x8" rims. Not enough to bother putting bumpstops in (my shocks don't bottom out either).

I would say put the tyres on and go flex it up and see if it scrubs badly. If so, then add in some bumpstop spacers. Your wheel backspace/offset and width will definitely make a difference.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd
post #15 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Wheeler

Whether you need bumpstops or not is something you can decide. They are not expensive. One thing to consider is that the front bumpstops go inside the coil - you have to remove the coils to install them.

The rear ones you can install anytime as they sit outside the coil. But to me makes sense to do the labor once when pulling the coils and put them up front.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Whether you need bumpstops or not is something you can decide. They are not expensive. One thing to consider is that the front bumpstops go inside the coil - you have to remove the coils to install them.

The rear ones you can install anytime as they sit outside the coil. But to me makes sense to do the labor once when pulling the coils and put them up front.
Now that's a pretty good tip right there. Especially for someone's first JKO post

Fortunately for me, the plan for installing bumpstops is to do it while I'm in the process of in stalling the lift.

Tires already went on the Jeep about 200 miles ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode