17x9 or 16x8? Why do I care? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

17x9 or 16x8? Why do I care?

I am in need of some education again. What are the advantages and disadvantages to these wheel sizes. While shopping I have noticed that the 16s are less expensive and so are their tires. Why would I want to spend the extra for 17s? Thanks

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Once you get into the real big tires a 17 is easier to find.
If youre staying in the 37 and under range 16's will be fine

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

I ran 16 for awhile the problem is when you upgrade. It's nearly impossible to get 37s on a 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 07:43 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchw123456 View Post
It's nearly impossible to get 37s on a 16
What he said. I ended up selling my 16" and am now running 37's on my stock Rubi wheels and spacers. One of these days I'll get some Raceline or Spiderlock beadlocks but until then these will do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchw123456 View Post
I ran 16 for awhile the problem is when you upgrade. It's nearly impossible to get 37s on a 16

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not anymore. Its hard but not as hard as it once was. BFG KM2 makes tires for a 16 that are 37s and 38.5s

Super swamper is always an option for the 16" wheel with 37s or larger.

Pit Bull iss supposedly releasing the Rocker in a 37x12.5x16 radial towards the end of this month.

Its even harder to find 37s for a 15" wheel but I've been looking at that option as well. 15" beadlocks running 37s would be ideal for me.

17s are a waste of money for the wheel and i appreciate the extra inch of tire, it makes for a little bit softer on road ride. Plus 37s that are in a smaller rim size like 16 or 15 are often D load range, or even C.
And if you only plan to go as large as 35s, all this discussion is irrelevant because there are plenty of tires out there that fit 16s int hat size.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the insight fellas. My plan is to start with 35s and eventually go bigger as money allows for flat fenders (PS is bad azz) and other goodies. I appreciate all the opinions.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode