Hybrid Wrangler - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Hybrid Wrangler

If Jeep came out with a hybrid or electric Wrangler would you buy one? I see all of these "green" cars coming out and they all look the same, Ugly. I mean I doubt Jeep would ever consider coming out with either but it just had me thinking. There is plenty of room to store lithium batteries under the Jeep. Obviously you wouldn't want to take it off road though.

*Please do not turn this into another "I wish I had a diesel" thread* Yes we all wish Jeep offered a diesel, But they don't. I just want to know what people think of a hybrid wrangler.

Last edited by wranglerblackout08; 03-01-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 04:30 AM
JKO Addict!

I wouldn't own a Jeep if I couldn't off-road it. And I'm not impressed with gas-hybrids. Gimmah a diesel!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 04:38 AM
JKO Addict!

too bad diesel is 50 cents more per gallon at the moment.
And no I wouldn't buy a hybrid wrangler, to much to break.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
too bad diesel is 50 cents more per gallon at the moment.
And no I wouldn't buy a hybrid wrangler, to much to break.
It's also 30% or something more efficient, and would drive much better (get out of its own way)

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #5 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 04:45 AM
JKO Addict!

I believe its a 13% increase in the wrangler, so at current prices it would almost even out.
I wouldnt mind putting a programmer on one either

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #6 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
I believe its a 13% increase in the wrangler, so at current prices it would almost even out.
I wouldnt mind putting a programmer on one either
Now yer thinkin!

post #7 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Ipe
Rock God

You hear about cars like the Porsche 918 hybrid with a 200hp electric motor at each wheel and it really makes you wonder if something like that could be adapted to a solid axle?

Imagine having a 100hp electric motor on each end of the axles all powered by a small diesel generator. Provided you could figure a way to protect and cool the motors this would make for a kick ass platform. Huge torque and no drivetrain loss. Even if it were a single motor on each axle similar to a Berg or some other MOA R/C buggy it would be awesome.

I actually think about this a lot. If I had the capital I'd be experimenting with this idea now.

post #8 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

You mean something like this?

At the time the engine had 268 HP and 295 ft-lbs of torque, 400 mile total range, with 40 miles pure electricity.

Good catch, Venom. Thanks for the immortality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.

Last edited by nlgrav182; 03-02-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Allpar - Who gives a fuck if someone hotlinks your images? Does it really matter? Instead we can just save them and put the
post #9 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

allpar doesnt like hotlinking their images...
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #10 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Rock God

If they can come up with an electric or hybrid that will get 1000+ miles per charge, on or off road and has more power then the current 3.8 V6, I would consider it, but not untill. I commute over a 100+ miles a day and having to charge everyday just does not fit my schedule.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #11 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerblackout08 View Post
If Jeep came out with a hybrid or electric Wrangler would you buy one? I see all of these "green" cars coming out and they all look the same, Ugly. I mean I doubt Jeep would ever consider coming out with either but it just had me thinking. There is plenty of room to store lithium batteries under the Jeep. Obviously you wouldn't want to take it off road though.

That would be the deal breaker right there. If I can't go offroad in it, why would I buy a Jeep in the first place?

post #12 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Rock God

Porsche and BMW are starting to apply hybrid technology as a means to get more power as first priority, with the side benefit of not being harmful for the environment as a secondary goal --think of an electric motor instead of turbo.

I think if Jeep gaves us a hybrid that would give us MORE POWER without sacrificing fuel economy a few of us would be interested.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Warn 9.5ti winch
2.5-inch Teraflex lift
35-inch General Grabbers

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Rubicon Wheels and Tires
post #13 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Jeep did put a concept together... now think about this:

4 sealed motors, one at each wheel, with a standard engine to generate power to the motors when necessary.

- No axles or drivetrain so your clearance would be immense.
- 100% torque as soon as you hit the pedal, put it in low and watch it go
- independent control of each motor or wheel (front wheel drive rear wheel drive, 4wd, or 1wd.. or left wheel drive for the times you just wanna go in circles)

Done right its possible, but it would be expensive.. and I dont think I'd wanna have to replace a wheel motor after wheeling.

Joe -
-
-
-
post #14 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo90731 View Post
Porsche and BMW are starting to apply hybrid technology as a means to get more power as first priority, with the side benefit of not being harmful for the environment as a secondary goal --think of an electric motor instead of turbo.

I think if Jeep gaves us a hybrid that would give us MORE POWER without sacrificing fuel economy a few of us would be interested.
Porsche has some pretty cool hybrid technology. I would definitely buy a hybrid wrangler, if you could still take it off road. There is plenty of room on the unlimited to store like 4 or 5 lithium batteries under the jeep without sacrificing too much ground clearance. I'm sure they could figure out a way to put them in a water proof case. Then cover it with some skid plates and you would be good to go. KERS + some sort of hybrid technologies and you could increase your range to 500-600 miles and get some improvement in power. The downside is the maintenance with all of these new technologies. IF we were to see a hybrid or electric wrangler I think it would be at least 10 years or so. I'm a big Formula 1 fan so its pretty cool to see how the technology trickles down into road cars like the dual clutch trans, flappy paddles, hydraulic suspension, kers,etc.
post #15 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Rock God

I'd buy one if they could figure out a way to extend battery life. Sure they work fine in normal driving where the eletric motor is on from stop to about 30 mph then the engine comes on and takes over. But for wheeling, it would kill the batteries pretty quick and heat those electric motors up.

08 Unlimited: Lift, Wheels, Tires, Winch ... and an ever shrinking bank account

Last edited by jkx0778; 03-03-2011 at 02:52 PM.
post #16 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Rock God

I saw a show a couple years back about a two seater jeep that was either hybrid or electric. It played in the dirt but it didn't "PLAY IN THE DIRT" if you catch my meaning. The Hybrid Jeep is ugly and would definitely need some "love" to gowrever...

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."

Last edited by GOWREVER; 03-01-2011 at 05:18 PM.
post #17 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Granite Guru

think of all the battery power for a winch!

2008 Rubicon
Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper w/Warn XD9000i
315/70/17 Cooper ST Maxx, No Lift
Superchips Flashpaq
Flow Daddy Headers
Gibson Dual Exhaust
post #18 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

KERS is a brilliant idea IMO. Not sure how it would work on the wrangler though. I know Williams has some kind of fly wheel technology that recovers energy or something like that. The new Porsche GT3 R Hybrid uses the Williams fly wheel. They are just now testing these newer technologies in racing so it will be a long time before it reaches road cars.
post #19 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkx0778 View Post
But for wheeling, it would kill the batteries pretty quick and heat those electric motors up.
When I imagine this hybrid wrangler I think of the heat issues that slow speed wheeling would bring. I figured that the electric motors would need to be liquid cooled, or have some means of active cooling. Heat exchange fins wouldn't cut it.

post #20 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
KERS is a brilliant idea IMO. Not sure how it would work on the wrangler though. I know Williams has some kind of fly wheel technology that recovers energy or something like that. The new Porsche GT3 R Hybrid uses the Williams fly wheel. They are just now testing these newer technologies in racing so it will be a long time before it reaches road cars.
KERS has been used in F1 as a "boost" they did away with it in 2009ish because it was so heavy on the cars. the FIA is increasing the min. weight of the F1 cars to let teams using KERS still have a light enough car to be competitive. it takes the energy from the brakes and turns it into electricity. Pretty cool stuff. I would always throw the F1 reference in there when i was selling a hybrid model toyota lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
Hocus pocus, Abracadabra and Alakazam - prototypical magic words used by magicians and top jeep Suspension Engineers.

Last edited by rotcyboi; 03-01-2011 at 07:58 PM.
post #21 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 08:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wouldn't get one with the battery situation now. I have seen the Tesala producing excellent numbers with 400 mile recharge that has promise for the future though.

Tesla out of California -on Top Gear:

"I cannot believe this that's biblically quick. This car is electric, literally. The top speed may only be 125mph but there's so much torque it does 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds. Not bad from a motor the size of a watermelon and which has only one moving part."
post #22 of 37 Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotcyboi View Post
KERS has been used in F1 as a "boost" they did away with it in 2009ish because it was so heavy on the cars. the FIA is increasing the min. weight of the F1 cars to let teams using KERS still have a light enough car to be competitive. it takes the energy from the brakes and turns it into electricity. Pretty cool stuff. I would always throw the F1 reference in there when i was selling a hybrid model toyota lmao
KERS + Hybrid = the KERS system could recharge the lithium batteries under braking so you could go further on a single charge. I'm sure it would be pretty expensive and complex but it could work on a jeep. KERS was ran in 2009, Went away in 2010, Now its back. I doubt it will place a huge factor in who wins the race. I'm more interested in the fly wheel technology that Williams has come up with.
post #23 of 37 Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

Jeep can't even get a sway bar to stay smart after it gets wet.
My feeling is they would build it like a Prius for people who only drive on pavement.
post #24 of 37 Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
KERS + Hybrid = the KERS system could recharge the lithium batteries under braking so you could go further on a single charge. I'm sure it would be pretty expensive and complex but it could work on a jeep. KERS was ran in 2009, Went away in 2010, Now its back. I doubt it will place a huge factor in who wins the race. I'm more interested in the fly wheel technology that Williams has come up with.
Nice to see another f1 fan on here lol. I would like to see the run a full hybrid vehicle would be awesome. I think the concept of a hybrid wrangler is a good idea. Now if Chrysler could actually make it work and still have it's off road abilities is another story.

Sent via smoke signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Krawler View Post
Hocus pocus, Abracadabra and Alakazam - prototypical magic words used by magicians and top jeep Suspension Engineers.
post #25 of 37 Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

A jeep that you cant take off road .... GENIUS !!!! i am going to be all over this if it comes to fruition !!!

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode