Doors off with kids - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Doors off with kids

I am just thinking ahead to summer time with my JKU. With my TJ the doors and top was always off in the summer but obviously I never had to worry about rear doors. With the JK I'm not sure how much I like the idea of my daughter in the back seat with the doors off. I had to put her booster seat in the center of the back seat becuase it was hitting the headrests, so she is a little further away. I thought about buying the bestop 2 piece soft doors for summer to help keep things flying in at least.

Just curious what others do with small kids in the summer. FWIW she is 4 1/2. This is also a toy and is only driven on nice days or in the trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

You could go with Rock/tube doors. As long as she is belted in all should be good. I have Or-Fab myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Rock God

I do it all the time with my 5yr old, he sits in the center with his booster as well. Not cause it hits the headrest but cause I just feel more comfortable with him in the middle. I am still planning on getting the tube doors but I feel comfortable with him in the center with no doors. He has a very small booster so I dont worry about it hitting the headrest and even with the tube doors he will still sit in the middle. Remember, the belt holds him/her in the seat and the sticker on your sunvisor says the factory doors are only for protection from the elements.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
You could go with Rock/tube doors. As long as she is belted in all should be good. I have Or-Fab myself.
I thought about that too, but I like having the option of having a 2 piece door for that quick summer shower or for time it is in tow instead of being driven. (this will be flat towed behind a motorhome also)
post #5 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

I have 3 kiddos so middle seat isn't an option! I just leave the doors on for now until they get a little older.

U.S. Army
post #6 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMann View Post
I am just thinking ahead to summer time with my JKU. With my TJ the doors and top was always off in the summer but obviously I never had to worry about rear doors. With the JK I'm not sure how much I like the idea of my daughter in the back seat with the doors off. I had to put her booster seat in the center of the back seat becuase it was hitting the headrests, so she is a little further away. I thought about buying the bestop 2 piece soft doors for summer to help keep things flying in at least.

Just curious what others do with small kids in the summer. FWIW she is 4 1/2. This is also a toy and is only driven on nice days or in the trails.
I've got a 3-1/2 yr old and the rear doors stay on when she's in the Jeep. I take the front doors off even when we go wheeling, but the rear doors stay on if she's in the Jeep. I don't like the Bestop soft doors - I know the stock doors don't do much by way of protection, but they do more than a fabric door. I'll roll down the windows, but that's about it. Where we go wheeling, there's too many branches and stuff poking out, and would rather avoid any accidents.

I don't think the Jeep looks that bad with just the rear doors on - especially if the top is off or you're running a bikini top. Here's a pic before I got a new bumper and tire rack.

2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited, 6-speed, White
1985 CJ-7, 4-speed, 258 I-6, 3" Springs, 33" BFG AT, Gunmental Gray
post #7 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco08jk View Post
I do it all the time with my 5yr old, he sits in the center with his booster as well. Not cause it hits the headrest but cause I just feel more comfortable with him in the middle. I am still planning on getting the tube doors but I feel comfortable with him in the center with no doors. He has a very small booster so I dont worry about it hitting the headrest and even with the tube doors he will still sit in the middle. Remember, the belt holds him/her in the seat and the sticker on your sunvisor says the factory doors are only for protection from the elements.
Great! Thanks for the info. I do like her sitting in the middle, it feels much safer. I never noitced the sitkcer on the sunvisor, I will have to check that out. I think I will order the soft doors since 4wd has a sale going today.
post #8 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Rock God

I put the smallest in the middle or run my tube doors.
post #9 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Ipe
Rock God

We started taking the doors off last summer when my son turned 7. I wanted to try it when he was younger but wifey would have none of it.

We have harnesses for all three of us when wheeling. I typically leave his mounted up in the back seat because its a PITA to take on and off. He suggested that if I put him in the middle and then buckle him up in his wheeling 4pt harness maybe we could take the doors off this summer. I told him I thought it was a great solution but he had to sell it to his mother first. So the boy promptly marches into the house and drags his mom out behind him and then proceeds to logically lay out his argument. Wife looks at me with both laughter and daggers shooting from her eyes and asks if this was my idea. I told her nope, all his, I just told him to ok it with you. After she thought about it for a bit she couldn't see an issue with it either so we gave it a try. He likes it. She likes it. Open air is fun and the harness is cool.

Doors off for the win!

post #10 of 36 Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Rock God

I only do it when we are on back roads (very few cars around) never on any highway or crowded roads. My kids are 5 & 9 adn they both love it.

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #11 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 05:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
We started taking the doors off last summer when my son turned 7. I wanted to try it when he was younger but wifey would have none of it.

We have harnesses for all three of us when wheeling. I typically leave his mounted up in the back seat because its a PITA to take on and off. He suggested that if I put him in the middle and then buckle him up in his wheeling 4pt harness maybe we could take the doors off this summer. I told him I thought it was a great solution but he had to sell it to his mother first. So the boy promptly marches into the house and drags his mom out behind him and then proceeds to logically lay out his argument. Wife looks at me with both laughter and daggers shooting from her eyes and asks if this was my idea. I told her nope, all his, I just told him to ok it with you. After she thought about it for a bit she couldn't see an issue with it either so we gave it a try. He likes it. She likes it. Open air is fun and the harness is cool.

Doors off for the win!

Thata boy, sounds like that apple didn't fall far from the tree at all.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #12 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Run no doors and use ratchet straps to hold the kids in.

corey d
2008 JEEP...

Last edited by STUPIDFACE; 03-02-2011 at 07:29 AM.
post #13 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had my little girl (4 now, but she was 3 then) riding no doors shortly after I got the Jeep. I've got 3 kids, too, and 2 of them are in seats (1 booster, 1 full seat) so I can't exactly get either of the seats in the middle. That means my oldest sits in the middle and the younger ones on the outside. The little girl LOVES that wind in her face. She actually gets excited when she sees the doors coming off.

Do it. If the wifey doesn't like it, tell her to put the doors back on herself. Once she picks one up, I think she'll reconsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #14 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've recently been thinking about this too. With the grandkid pool growing we have 8, 5 & 3 yo's here and a 4 yo in Huntsville. I think for now maybe doors off with the 8yo in the center and on if we have more than one in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Do it. If the wifey doesn't like it, tell her to put the doors back on herself. Once she picks one up, I think she'll reconsider.
Mmmm recipe for a happy marriage. I would need approval from three mommas and two daddies for the grandchildren lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMann View Post
....I had to put her booster seat in the center of the back seat because it was hitting the headrests....
If you ever want the headrests out of the way, fold the seat and bring it back up while holding the hr back then just bungee it in position. Problem solved.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #15 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Eh, that was tongue in check, gold night.

FWIW, my wife was born/raised in the Philippines. She probably rode in Jeeps without doors more often than in vehicles WITH doors when she was growing up. I think that's why she doesn't think much of it. Probably helped a little bit.

Quote:

post #16 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Damn! You guys make me feel like a terrible parent now! Had everything off about 2 weeks ago with my 17 month old son in the back seat. He's in a Recaro car seat in the middle, strapped in nice & secure, and we were only on back roads between the house and daycare which is maybe 2-3 miles away, but you guys saying your kids are much older than him and you still don't pull the doors off.....guess maybe I need to reconsider this.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #17 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Eh, that was tongue in check, gold night.

FWIW, my wife was born/raised in the Philippines. She probably rode in Jeeps without doors more often than in vehicles WITH doors when she was growing up. I think that's why she doesn't think much of it. Probably helped a little bit.
Yeah I thought it was, that rolleyes might have been a little strong lol. I couldn't decide between and

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #18 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Damn! You guys make me feel like a terrible parent now! Had everything off about 2 weeks ago with my 17 month old son in the back seat. He's in a Recaro car seat in the middle, strapped in nice & secure, and we were only on back roads between the house and daycare which is maybe 2-3 miles away, but you guys saying your kids are much older than him and you still don't pull the doors off.....guess maybe I need to reconsider this.
Nah, break 'im in young! Just don't BREAK him.

Quote:

post #19 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 09:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Nah, break 'im in young! Just don't BREAK him.
Considering the fact that for some reason he likes to beat his head against the headboard of our bed on occassion .....I think he'll hold up fairly well. He's still purty smart, too!

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #20 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 AM
CalmerThanYouAre

Go for it. All doors off with 8, 10, 12yo. They've been doing it since '07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
your kids are much older than him and you still don't pull the doors off.....guess maybe I need to reconsider this.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #21 of 36 Old 03-02-2011, 11:30 AM
Granite Guru

my doors have been off for 2 weeks. i run the Rancho tube doors front and rear. i have a 6 and a 7 year old. they love it. especially when getting dropped off at school. not that they do anything in reality but i would rather have those on then nothing at all with them in the back.
post #22 of 36 Old 06-07-2015, 08:09 PM
CalmerThanYouAre

Still all doors off, 12, 14 and 16 now.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #23 of 36 Old 06-08-2015, 04:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin52 View Post
Still all doors off, 12, 14 and 16 now.
Mine are 8 and 5 and I've yet to take them out doorless.

I had planned on buying a set of UCF half doors this winter and having painted to match....

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #24 of 36 Old 06-08-2015, 05:41 AM
Granite Guru

i ran topless with a 10 week old ... he is now 1 year old and i still won't run doors off with him in the middle back seat. i do, however, run topless and front doorless A LOT. this combo is really not that bad at all. i get to be topless and doorless while keeping the little guy safe.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" TR Beadlocks][5.38s][Fusion 4x4 Kingpin 1 Tons][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][sPOD][Warn Zeon 10s][And more ...]

|
post #25 of 36 Old 06-08-2015, 03:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Ran topless and doorless routinely in my CJ-7 back when my kids were little. (The oldest graduates from Cal Poly as a Mechanical Engineer on Saturday; the next to oldest graduated from ASU, Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, last month; the third is finishing her Sophomore year at Nevada, Reno; and the youngest is a high school freshman.) So I obviously don't have "little kid" concerns anymore, but I wouldn't hesitate to do the same with my JKU. If anything it would be safer now because of the improvements in child safety seats, etc.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode