CRD reliability. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-27-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

CRD reliability.

I am new to the JK market... new to the Jeep market actually after selling my 100series turbo diesel cruiser... I am looking at a 2008 JK diesel with a 5speed automatic, its got 65,000kms.

From anyone's experiences what is the reliability like?

Is there anything i need to specifically watch out for? Even just model specific?

I have searched through a few jeep forums and haven't really found anything or anyone who has had a big issue with the 2.8L CRD motors?!?!?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-27-2011, 11:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail-rush View Post
I am new to the JK market... new to the Jeep market actually after selling my 100series turbo diesel cruiser... I am looking at a 2008 JK diesel with a 5speed automatic, its got 65,000kms.

Is there anything i need to specifically watch out for? Even just model specific?

I have searched through a few jeep forums and haven't really found anything or anyone who has had a big issue with the 2.8L CRD motors?!?!?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan
That's because they aren't offered in the States, so almost no one here will be able to give you any firsthand experience with the diesel platform. That said, there are some members here outside the US who may be able to give you some insight. We're stuck with the 3.8L V6 gasoline engine.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #3 of 7 Old 02-27-2011, 11:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

BTW, many members here would kill to be able to purchase a diesel JK, so lucky you

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2011, 05:08 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trail-rush View Post

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
Ryan
Here in Australia they are pretty reliable, but the common thing that goes is the turbo pipes, we all upgrade them to better aftermarket type.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I have a liberty CRD which is a similar engine 2.8. At 90K had the alternator pulley go,replaced timing belt at 100K (reg maintainence),Turbo hose blew at 122K. Currently has a CEL to replace a glow plug 123K. So far seems to be fairly reliable to me never left us stranded!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Wheeler

I've only owned mine for 3 months and racked up 4000 miles, but so far (touch wood) mine hasn't given me any problems whatsoever. I return anywhere between 26 and 28 mpg with bucket loads of torque. These pull like a train.

Only downside really is the rattle sound effect when cold, sounds like a bag of spanners, but once warmed up it just purrs. This is no different to any other diesel engine in the sound department.

In a nut shell, I love it.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-05-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgc View Post
Here in Australia they are pretty reliable, but the common thing that goes is the turbo pipes, we all upgrade them to better aftermarket type.
Hi, in France seems to have some turbo pipe that failed also. same fix by using aftermarker performance pieces.
In my case, I bring to a garage for just a front axel spi seal change... and he found lots of teeths in the oil after drain...
So a full kit of planetary and differential gear (not sure of my google translation...) JK Sahara unlimited 30 000 km, few and light off-road.
Except that no issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode