roll the dice with the RK RRD 11 40.74%
another option (please elaborate) 4 14.81%
STFU and go eat some bacon! 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

shocks for RK 2.5" max travel

I was dead set on running the RK RRD shocks but because of the complaints in dirty laundry about the RK RRD shocks, I am now starting to think about not using them. Im looking for opinions on other options. Im thinking at this point that I should stay with the tried and true Bilstien 5100s. What say you?

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eggwhite93; 02-27-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

Go with the bilstiens and upgrade to th rockcrawlers down the road when the bugs are worked out.

Black Jeep
post #3 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm going to say Fox or Bilstein. The Bilsteins are a cheaper option than the Fox shocks.

[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Rock God

I have my RRD's on, and they are nice! The ride is so much mor supple and controlled than I ever thought a Jeep could be. I did have to send them back before I even got them on because they were too long. They upgraded the bar pins then. Hopefully there will be no problems, because my stock shocks are blown, so if I had to send these back Id be without my dd while they were gone.

I'd say, if you are ordering now, I would trust RK to have the issue resolved now that they are very aware of the issue. If you are just not comfortable with that, I'd go Bilstein. Never heard a thing bad about them....
post #5 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesrb View Post
I have my RRD's on, and they are nice! The ride is so much mor supple and controlled than I ever thought a Jeep could be. I did have to send them back before I even got them on because they were too long. They upgraded the bar pins then. Hopefully there will be no problems, because my stock shocks are blown, so if I had to send these back Id be without my dd while they were gone.

I'd say, if you are ordering now, I would trust RK to have the issue resolved now that they are very aware of the issue. If you are just not comfortable with that, I'd go Bilstein. Never heard a thing bad about them....
X2...I've had no problem with the shock. It was simply the bushing that was the issue.

2007 Steel Blue Sahara Unlimited
post #6 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Granite Guru

I am running Bilsteins with their 3.5 X factor with no complaints.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Rock God

this is what i am going for

07 unlimited x, 4.5 lift with clayton arms poly springs
rock krawler frotn and rear trac bars and brackets
rock krawler high steer kit, jks quicker disco's
waiting on gobi rack
front axle about had it
post #8 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

What's the price difference for the Fox?

Edit: a few minutes on google tells me they are about the same as RRDs in price.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

Last edited by eggwhite93; 02-27-2011 at 02:58 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
What's the price difference for the Fox?

Edit: a few minutes on google tells me they are in between the Bilstiens and RRDs in price.
What is the difference, sorry I'm on my phone and wondering the exact same thing

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #10 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I changed my post to saythey are about the same price. Within a few $$$ either way depending on where you look.

Marc

post #11 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Rock God

the difference

pig just went over this with me and it makes sense finially

linear and digressive. The linear piston has a high flow rate at low shaft speeds and hence little resistance. The resistance increases as the shaft speed increases. The rate of the shock continues to increase as long as the speed increases.

A digressive designed shock has a considerable amount of low-speedcontrol and builds resistance as the shaft speed increases to apredetermined point where the rate digresses and stays the same as thespeed increases. This type of design has good low-speed control and doesnot build ultra-high resistance with the high speeds associated withbumps and holes as in the case of some rough dirt tracks.The digressive piston design has a low flow rate at low shaft speeds that provides a lot of resistance and control. The resistance rate increases with increased shaft speeds to a designed level and then tapers off. As the shaft speed continues to increase, the resistance stays uniform above a certain shaft speed.

fox is a linear shock
poly's digressive
bilstien digressive

lou

waiting on gobi rack
front axle about had it
post #12 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 03:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I vote for fox remote resevior, or whatever shock you really want. I regret not saving up for what I really wanted in the first place. Yea I like my ome long travel set up, but its not what I really wanted so Ill never be happy with it until I have what I wanted in the first place.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Rock God

for most of us the resevior is over kill. save the money and buy more parts.

the most important thing is lenghts both extended and compressed

waiting on gobi rack
front axle about had it
post #14 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
I was dead set on running the RK RRD shocks but because of the complaints in dirty laundry about the RK RRD shocks, I am now starting to think about not using them. Im looking for opinions on other options. Im thinking at this point that I should stay with the tried and true Bilstien 5100s. What say you?
It is a problem with the bar pin and bushing... Very minor and is a problem that has been around and why they make bar pin eliminators... If you know it going in it is very easy to deal with and I am sure if you talk to RK about it they will work with you.
That being said the RRD shocks ride really nice. In my opinion nicer than the Bilstien but they are a good shock as well and you can't go wrong either way.
Good luck with your build I am sure it will be great with any of the above options. Don't forget to post pics when it is done!
post #15 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
It is a problem with the bar pin and bushing... Very minor and is a problem that has been around and why they make bar pin eliminators... If you know it going in it is very easy to deal with and I am sure if you talk to RK about it they will work with you.
That being said the RRD shocks ride really nice. In my opinion nicer than the Bilstien but they are a good shock as well and you can't go wrong either way.
Good luck with your build I am sure it will be great with any of the above options. Don't forget to post pics when it is done!
Speaking of pics - your solution looks bombproof!

Marc:
Sorry to be the one to sow the seeds of uncertainty. You know I'm going for the Billsteins with my 2.5" kit.

post #16 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzeyjeep View Post
for most of us the resevior is over kill. save the money and buy more parts.

the most important thing is lenghts both extended and compressed
Remote res basically allows manufacturers to get a better compressed:extended ratio + more oil/nitrogen and better control/resistance to fade.

I bought 5160 for the front of my JK for their excellent compressed length (i want uptravel, no plans to go bigger than 33" at this stage). No other monotube really gets close.

ex: RHD JK 2dr CRD auto
now: RHD JK 2dr Rubicon 3.8 6spd

Last edited by CRDTom; 02-27-2011 at 07:54 PM.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-28-2011, 04:50 AM
JKowners Vendor

RK will get the bugs worked out. They have a great shock setup just like their lifts! We have sold a few sets with no complants so far...

Fox shocks are great as well! This is also a great selling shock for us. They are not a ton more than the Bilstiens and offer a amazing ride!

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #18 of 20 Old 02-28-2011, 06:28 AM
JKowners Vendor

Guys, we do apologize for the bar pin issue and it will be corrected today!

RK
post #19 of 20 Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Guys, we do apologize for the bar pin issue and it will be corrected today!

RK
Thanks! So if I order in the next couple days, what would be the lead time on a new and improved set?

Sent from an asshole with an iPhone

Marc

post #20 of 20 Old 03-01-2011, 01:20 PM
JKowners Vendor

Our shocks should be rolling out pretty smoothly after this!

Once we get caught up by the end of next week, they should be no more than 7 business days. We keep triing to get caught up and then we burn through them faster than we anticipate and we are stuck again. It is a new program for us and it is kicking our butts..

RK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode