Winterizing the JK? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Winterizing the JK?

Now living in a state that one day its 60 and the next 17 with snow I am concerned with the winter weather and what I should do to keep it prepared and ready for the cold snowy days...

What fluids if any should I run?

What about in Colorado the red chemical crap they spray all over the icy road.. What is it made of and does it rust cars or is it more something that chews up plastic and wiring like I heard?

Tires.... I have Dick Cepek Mud Country and let me tell you they are not ICE country.. I am all over the place. I have another set of 16" procomps that I could throw some winter tires on. What is your recommendation for a good winter tire on Ice and snow???

Anything else I missed??

Thanks in advance..

Lifted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

In the Jeep:
Keep a pair of heavy socks and boots.
Gloves and Scarf
Wool Blanket
A couple of power bars
Bag of Floor dry or Urea (fertilizer). I make a Mix and put it in a ammo can
Cell phone Charger
Small Shovel.
Metal cup or metal bottle to melt ice/snow in

For the Jeep,
-20 degree wiper fluid is all I can think of for fluids.

Best ice/snow tire I ever ran was the Cooper Discoverer Radial LT, but I think the largest tire they make is 33". All mud tires suck on ice unless you sipe the hell out of them; I run BFG AT's on my Bronco, and they are OK, but not as good at the Coopers on my old '72 Ford 4x2. I've always wanted to try the General AP on ice, I've heard they are rated good for winter.

The above is my opinion, you may want more. I spent 2 yrs in Iceland and it's what I usually kept in the truck. I was in shape back then, so I wasn't worried about humping it out in the blowing snow if I couln't get moving in an hour or so.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.

Last edited by Broncojohn; 12-06-2008 at 12:59 AM.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I belive what you see on the road is Magnesium chloride. I never had any rust on any of my behicles when I lived in the NW. as soon as I got out here I started seeing rust. I belive the only thing it could be from here is the stuff they put on the roads. I will be spraying down my undercariiage as much as I can.

I was also worried about the plastic. When it is on your rig it looks like it will permanetley leave a white haze. However, after a couple washes it is gone. I would not be concerned about plastic, just rust. Although, since I have been here I have seen almost every older Jeep I have seen have holes through their rear plastic windows and the material seems real brittle. I assume it is a combination of the chemiccals they put on the road in the winter and the 330 days a year of sun

Here is a really boring read on the deicers
http://www.dot.state.co.us/Publicati...es/deicers.pdf

As far as the tires go, I don't think sipped mud tires are gonna work. I have siped BFG's and still have no traction. I do air down a bit when it is icy and that helps. The best answer would be all terains. I see tons of vehicles (including the plows) wearing those. Narrower would also be better. For me, I just turn off the ESP and drift everywhere I go, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Alec W

Donít worry about the Mag-chloride, just run it through one of those brushless carwashes that spray the underbody every 3 weeks or so. My MT/Rs seem ok to me in snow and ice but Iíve lived here for nearly 20 years so snow/ice does not bother me. ATs would be about the best winter off-road tire.

Donít worry about the huge temp fluctuations and be thankful for them, where else can you shovel snow with a t-shirt on?
post #5 of 21 Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for all the suggestions... I'm thinking I will just deal with the crappy traction for now.. i am thinking of going with a set of xtreme MT's on one set of my wheels and maybe a set of AT's for winter weather on the others..... I will just wash off the Mag/C every now and then.. Sounds like fluids are fine. So far nothing has given me an issue... hope all is well!! U guys doing the Toy run 2morrow?

Lifted by

post #6 of 21 Old 12-05-2008, 10:40 PM
JKowners Vendor

I have never had problems with the Mag Chloride, i have friends that have had a lot of damage to wheels from it, or so they were told. My fairlead has rust on it and i was told it was from the mag, but who knows?

My best suggestion for winter is make sure you have an ice scraper, i have been here for 25+ years and still don't have one in my Jeep or truck, so what do I know!!!!

Another rule of thumb i have always lived by out here is let your vehicle warm up for a while, i don't know how much good it does but i let my vehicle get COMPLETELY warmed up before i leave, if i don't my 3year old let's me know. Just seems with the way the the temp can fluctuate out here it is a little less rough on the engine.

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #7 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This is interesting straight from Wiki:

"Magnesium chloride is much less toxic to plant life surrounding highways and airports, and is less corrosive to concrete and steel (and other iron alloys) than sodium chloride."

"Two main issues have been raised regarding the anti-icer magnesium chloride as it relates to electric utilities: contamination of insulators causing tracking and arcing across them, and corrosion of steel and aluminium poles and pole hardware."

Save the street screw the cars.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 05:05 AM

Spent 5 months in Maine last winter during one of the snowiest and coldest weather they have had in years...they use salt and sand on the roads...I just ran the vehicle through a high pressure brushless car wash once a week, and the JK was fine...when I got back to VA in the spring, I pressure washed the engine compartment, undercarriage, and behind the bumpers, etc., washed out any excess sand accumulation stuck in the wheel wells, and no problems to date...it's all about regular maintenance.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by a plumber View Post
I have never had problems with the Mag Chloride, i have friends that have had a lot of damage to wheels from it, or so they were told. My fairlead has rust on it and i was told it was from the mag, but who knows?
It does mess up chrome wheels for some people. Since chrome wheels on a Jeep are ghay I think thatís a good thing
post #10 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by airric00 View Post
U guys doing the Toy run 2morrow?
I'll be there
post #11 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

I had mine sprayed with dripless oil last weekend. They spray it inside the doors and other body panels and all over the underside. Works great to prevent corrosion.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Rock God

As far as tires goes. I am currently running Xtreme M/Ts by the advice of the local forest workers. They love them on the forestry roads in winter. They say they are good on hardpack snow/ice and awesome in the deep snow. So far so good for me, on icey roads they steer/corner well and in the snow they are awesome. I ran A/T's on my Pickups for years and they are OK if you get lots of freezing rain and ice but if you get any amount of snow/slush they just don't have enough bite when it gets deep (just like mud). The Xtreme M/T's seem to have enough grooving in the tread blocks to have good manners on slippery roads. Other then that, the best ICE tire would be Blizzaks or the new Nokian Ice Radials, but I'm not sure if they make them big enough for the Jeep.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
As far as tires goes. I am currently running Xtreme M/Ts by the advice of the local forest workers. They love them on the forestry roads in winter. They say they are good on hardpack snow/ice and awesome in the deep snow. So far so good for me, on icey roads they steer/corner well and in the snow they are awesome. I ran A/T's on my Pickups for years and they are OK if you get lots of freezing rain and ice but if you get any amount of snow/slush they just don't have enough bite when it gets deep (just like mud). The Xtreme M/T's seem to have enough grooving in the tread blocks to have good manners on slippery roads. Other then that, the best ICE tire would be Blizzaks or the new Nokian Ice Radials, but I'm not sure if they make them big enough for the Jeep.
I have been told by 4 people now about the Xtreme M/T's and how good they are offroad.. I guess now that you say they're good in snow sounds like they are the total package.. Maybe I can skip the xtra set and maybe keep a set of 37's on the other ones to switch on when I go wheeling...

Lifted by

Last edited by airric00; 12-06-2008 at 02:48 PM.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 07:20 PM
Rock God

I chose the Xtreme M/T's because I wanted one set of tires that will work well everywhere all year round. I refuse to tie up that much money in 2 full sets of tires.
I'll post a more complete write up on these tires once we get some more snow up here. So far they have been awesome and I have yet to use 4WD. Even pulled a hay trailer in a snow storm. That was interesting pulling up hill in 2WD when the ESP kicked in. The only possible draw back I can see may be that they have stiff sidewalls ( TriPly) and may not be flexible enough in real deep snow. Again, I'll let you all know when the snow comes.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Rock God

[QUOTE=Broncojohn;60704]In the Jeep:
Keep a pair of heavy socks and boots.
Gloves and Scarf
Wool Blanket
A couple of power bars
Cell phone Charger
Small Shovel.
Metal cup or metal bottle to melt ice/snow in

I know what all the other stuff is for but what about the floor dry urea mixture? I rarely drive in the snow, but I'm curious.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-06-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
I chose the Xtreme M/T's because I wanted one set of tires that will work well everywhere all year round. I refuse to tie up that much money in 2 full sets of tires.
I'll post a more complete write up on these tires once we get some more snow up here. So far they have been awesome and I have yet to use 4WD. Even pulled a hay trailer in a snow storm. That was interesting pulling up hill in 2WD when the ESP kicked in. The only possible draw back I can see may be that they have stiff sidewalls ( TriPly) and may not be flexible enough in real deep snow. Again, I'll let you all know when the snow comes.
Right on.. looking forward to the review..

I went to the car wash to spray off the MgCl and low and behold there was a special foam just for washing off the crap... It was a thick yellow foam... I hit it really quick with it and then powerwashed the **** out of it... Tons of ice was caked underneath..

Lifted by

post #17 of 21 Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Rock God

I know what all the other stuff is for but what about the floor dry urea mixture? I rarely drive in the snow, but I'm curious.[/QUOTE]

Anybody???????????
post #18 of 21 Old 12-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post

I know what all the other stuff is for but what about the floor dry urea mixture? I rarely drive in the snow, but I'm curious.
Anybody???????????[/QUOTE]

You throw it under the tires for traction...

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

post #19 of 21 Old 12-08-2008, 06:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Floor dry for traction and the urea melts the ice.

Quote:

post #20 of 21 Old 12-08-2008, 06:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Urea is 46-0-0 fertilizer. 21-0-0 works just as well, I get what ever is cheap or my farm buddies have around. It melts ice a bit faster then salt because the chemical reaction puts off heat.

Quote:

post #21 of 21 Old 12-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Rock God

Thanks for the update. Never heard of that before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode