Dynatrac Ball Joints cut away view. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Dynatrac Ball Joints Internal components view.

Does anyone know of the make up of these Dynatrac Pro Steer Ball Joints?
Anyone disassembled them to see how they are put together?
Any links to Pictures of Cut Away or Exploded Views would be appreciated.

Ive searched and searched and i can only find OEM, Crown and Poly Ball Joints Stripped to see how they tick.

Last edited by OZJEEP; 02-25-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Rock God

Buy some and cut them in half.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #3 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

smart ass,
An exploded view Diagram would be good.

Reason i want to know is i just installed a set and after i pressed in the Top BJ's i noticed the shaft was on an angle, i though i may have stuffed it as i pressed it in and the shaft must have pushed against the cup hole. But then i found i could push the shaft around like the Lower BJ. Usually the Lower BJ has a Ball end and the Upper turns about the shaft, it doesn't pivot like the lower BJ.
but both the ProSteer BJ's turn and pivot so i was wondering how they are built especially the Upper BJ?

So i dont need to cut them in half! i could dismantle them as they're rebuildable but i dont want to do that not without a procedure from dynatrac.

Last edited by OZJEEP; 02-25-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 07:16 AM
JKO Addict!

If they don't just jump in here on your thread e-mail the guys at Dynatrac. They're great to work with. I put these in last year and have no complaints....other than cost, of course. They're supposed to be rebuildable, but as of a few months ago there wasn't any info on the procedure.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 AM
JKO Addict!

post #6 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
google is your friend:
Fail? That's a picture of stock ball joints cutaway next to the prosteer is it not? Google was not my friend today, I tried that method too.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 08:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Fail? That's a picture of stock ball joints cutaway next to the prosteer is it not? Google was not my friend today, I tried that method too.
Yep, I jumped the gun. Sorry.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
If they don't just jump in here on your thread e-mail the guys at Dynatrac. They're great to work with. I put these in last year and have no complaints....other than cost, of course. They're supposed to be rebuildable, but as of a few months ago there wasn't any info on the procedure.
yer i might email them then, and thats another thing i want to know about, rebuild procedures! and if dynatrac will supply rebuild kit? Obviously not required for a very very long time yet i hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Yep, I jumped the gun. Sorry.
yes i spent hours on google and nothing, i think all info must be with Dynatrac.

see in the pic you supplied that the top ProSteer Ball Joint has a lip seal around the shaft, thats the area im concerned about as usually where there is a Lip Seal installed for a shaft it will only rotate, not pivot. I dont think i did anything to it as it was only on a slight angle after i pressed it in, then i found i could bump it by hand to move it around straight again. So i dont think i stuffed anything internally.
Just Curious what is in there.

Last edited by OZJEEP; 02-25-2011 at 01:07 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Found this, Doc-14 did a video on installing RCV Axels with ProSteer Ball Joints. In the Video i see he moves the Top BJ Shaft by hand to get the Axel and Knuckle in so its the way they are.

YouTube - RCV shafts and Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints part 2.

Pics showing my Cup Set up to Instal Both Ball Joints.
The Angle Cut Cup [ MILLER 6289-12] that goes on the inside of the Axel 'C' works well on the Lower BJ but it doesn't fit to the upper 'C' quite as good. The shape of the 'C' pushes the Cup off centre (outwards) and as i pressed the BJ home the BJ Shaft just touches the hole edge in the Miller Cup, but as you can see in the completed pic it didnt move the shaft of centre much and infact i moved it more by hand so i know i didnt stress anything within the BJ

Last edited by OZJEEP; 05-01-2011 at 02:51 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Rock God

There are significant differences between stock ball joints and Dynatrac Ball joints.

The lower stock ball joint can pivot. The upper stock ball joint can only slide in and out. The lower Dynatrac ball joint will pivot. The upper Dynatrac ball will slide in and out AND pivot.

When we reseached the JK for the Dynatrac ball joints, we found that factory 'Cs' were bent in various directions. The upper factory joint was getting sideloaded (due to bent 'C's) so bad that it caused early ball joint failure. By allowing the upper ball joint to pivot slightly, it allows the joints to stay parallel without sideloading the ball joint.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-26-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ok cool, Thanks for that info Dynatrac.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode