Input wanted - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Input wanted

I need some input I installed EVO corners and added some of my own to them and now I need to paint them. What I really want to do is paint my entire Jeep olive drab and rhino line the inside. I know what you are thinking "WHY" well I have never left a vehicle alone in my life and the Jeep is not exempt. So with that also in my mind maybe I should just paint it back red and be done with it. A buddy mentioned that I should paint the quarters, tailgate and rockers up to and including the bottom of the fender black leaving the rest red, I kind of like that idea also. So let me have it.
better pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by bodyguy; 12-04-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Rock God

Like the green idea. Is that an Offroad Heroes top on there?

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #3 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Not sure I understand what you want to do?

You want to leave the hood, grill, fenders and doors red and paint everything else black?

The best thing would to have one of the photoshop wizards on the forum create a mock-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
Like the green idea. Is that an Offroad Heroes top on there?
No its that stupid as$ notsobestop what a pain in the as$, problem was when I ordered it I knew what I wanted but couldn't remember the name and this one look to be right. I should have returned it but too late now What a piece of crap OK I feel better yeah you cant take the back windows off and it holds a lot of water and I mean a lot.

|
|
post #5 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

I think painting it black from the doors back will be too much. I would either paint it red which looks good or go with the green
post #6 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose512 View Post
Not sure I understand what you want to do?

You want to leave the hood, grill, fenders and doors red and paint everything else black?
The best thing would to have one of the photoshop wizards on the forum create a mock-up.
Yes exactly, I'm just not sure how it would look, I have a mental picture and I think it would look good but ya never know

that would be a good idea, anyone come on help a brutha out ya know you want to

|
|
post #7 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I like the green idea myself. I haven't seen one yet and it is always kinda nice to be the first at something.

I think the black might be ok and deffinetly unique however I think the green would be a lot better. I suppose you could spray some black on there first just to see what it would look like...
post #8 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Banned

btw, I like what you did with your rear bumper. Any more pics? Are you planning on capping the ends?
post #9 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

ok, now I just noticed your front fenders. are those do it your selfers or aftermarket?
post #10 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Openly Hostile

I vote OD green. I want to paint mine OD green.

Jason
post #11 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
btw, I like what you did with your rear bumper. Any more pics? Are you planning on capping the ends?
I did cap them I just didnt have any better pictures to show the corners and a good side view. Thanks for the compliment

As for the front I just cut the flare down with a razor blade

|
|
post #12 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Banned

don't mean to hijack the thread but I am gonna do it anyway, lol

do you have any more pics of the way you cut the fenders? I have been considering it lately. I am still on the fence in regards to wider or narrower. I like the cut on yours from what I can see.

And then I will stop jacking the thread, lol
post #13 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

OK- First off... half one color, and the rest of the jeep, another color will get old quick- guaranteed. You will wind up disappointed if the entire jeep doesn't flow from front to back completely...no matter what colors you use. It will simply look unbalanced and strange.

Although many people (including yourself) love the thought of the olive drab...I would not take the extra time and trouble to do it (at least not right now). You are kind of a perfectionist, and right now you have a lot of other variables to consider...( recovery, possible future health concerns, expecting new family member, getting back to work, and many other mods that you are planning).

You have accomplished a large part of this "rear corner" project already. You have strengthened the corners, chopped the frame-rails, added the perfectly located receiver hitch, and added in LED flush-mounted tail & back-up lights.

If you were in a different situation- then I would say go for the olive drab, but I KNOW there are other pending modifications and non jeep related things that you will soon be occupied with. If you simply finish off the red in the primered locations, then you will be more satisfied to move on to other projects. The jeep's color is not going to be the determining factor on your happiness of it. Your performance upgrades will. You will be much more satisfied with a red jeep that has the axles, gears, steering, shocks, etc...the way that you want...no matter what the color is.

Finish those corners in red and move on. Down the road, if you are just itching for some thing to do, it will be almost as easy to strip off all the red and repaint it all at once.

post #14 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
don't mean to hijack the thread but I am gonna do it anyway, lol

do you have any more pics of the way you cut the fenders? I have been considering it lately. I am still on the fence in regards to wider or narrower. I like the cut on yours from what I can see.

And then I will stop jacking the thread, lol
I will in the morning. I didn't want them too wide but wide enough to stop some of the spray when driving in rain, mud, cow shi^ (kerryp knows about that one), but yeah I will take a few pics in the morning. A little trick on cutting them (maybe you know) tape them off and score em with a razor blade then go back and fold the flare on the score line and follow the cut again with the razor, it cuts like butter.

|
|
post #15 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubaroni
The jeep's color is not going to be the determining factor on your happiness of it. Your performance upgrades will.

uhhh, stub...you are forgetting one thing. Olive drab has been proven to perform better offroad then red.
post #16 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
its talkin, I think maybe you are right but its so damn hard to not just do it now. Thinking.................................I need some

|
|
post #17 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
... A little trick on cutting them (maybe you know) tape them off and score em with a razor blade then go back and fold the flare on the score line and follow the cut again with the razor, it cuts like butter.

I didn't know! Thanks for sharing. YOu probably
saved me a bit of time there!

What did you do with the liner? I have not looked yet but I understand there is a brace that needs to be cut down and did you just cut the liner back near the body?
post #18 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
its talkin, I think maybe you are right but its so damn hard to not just do it now. Thinking.................................I need some
If you had more of the jeep primered and ready to go , then I would say "do it now". If the JK didn't have so many [hidden and hard to reach] panels, then again "go for it". I really think that there are other more pending things to consider. Worry about the new paint idea down the road when things are more "back to normal". JMO (but I am correct on this one. If you don't believe me, then just ask your wife. )

Quote:
uhhh, stub...you are forgetting one thing. Olive drab has been proven to perform better offroad then red.
post #19 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Joe, paint the whole thing flat black!

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #20 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Granite Guru

First of all, it's gonna look great no matter what you decide. You mentioned you eventually want to rhino line the interior. What about Rhino lining your rockers, rear fenders, and interior?? I think it would look good (you wouldn't have as much of the two tone look if you tie the rockers in), you'd get the interior done at the same time, and you'd get some body protection from flying gravel, etc (boulders will scrape off the lining, but they would do the same for paint too). I just had my rockers rhino lined and have been very happy with it. Just a thought - again, very nice Jeep whatever you decide.

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
post #21 of 68 Old 12-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
Joe, paint the whole thing flat black!
x2
post #22 of 68 Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 AM
Granite Guru

I say do the olive drab, that would look way cool beans!

I'd have gone with the black on the EVO stuff but you've blended it into the body so there will be no separation of the EVO and regular body. I think that may look to unbalanced.

Yeah, olive drab would look hella cool beans!

-One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
post #23 of 68 Old 12-04-2008, 07:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think olive drab would look great, but like others have said it's gonna look awesome no matter what color you go with.
post #24 of 68 Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Rock God

i like the OD idea for the entire jeep. not so much for the half red, half black idea.
post #25 of 68 Old 12-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Alec W

I like the idea of olive green or flat black. Nice looking work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode