What Else Do I need? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned

What Else Do I need?

Ok, so the RK 2.5" stock mod kit looks like it may be in the works, but now I'm wondering what else I'm gonna have to add to make that work.

I'm pretty sure I won't absolutely need a new DS since I have a 4DR and the general opinion there seems to be that they're required when you go above 4" of lift.

I'm trying to figure out if the additional costs of new swaybar links, brake line extensions, etc. will keep this kit as inexpensive as it looks at first glance. I'm pretty sure extending the brakelines is a good idea when you lift at all - not being able to stop would really suck.

I drive primarily on the highway to and from work, so I really need the highway manners to stay as close to stock as possible.

So what else will I absolutely need to avoid putting potentially damaging stress on stuff and keep the ride as close to stock as possible?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Granite Guru

Check your brakeline thread... I hit on most everything I could think of...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46444

IBTM

2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : 2" Rock Krawler Stackable Bumpstops F/R : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights

post #3 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub View Post
Check your brakeline thread... I hit on most everything I could think of...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46444

IBTM
LMAO.

Nice, thanks Gdub! I was overlooking the spring retainers

I'm only running 33's for now, but when these wear out, I may be taking that step up into the 35 club.

Since I'm only running 33s are bumpstops still completely necessary?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 AM
Granite Guru

I don't think so with the 33's - easiest way to check would be to call Jeremy at Rock Krawler and ask him. My guess is "not really - you would have to be so twisted out to rub that your droop side axle tire would be completely on the sidewall"

2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : 2" Rock Krawler Stackable Bumpstops F/R : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights

post #5 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub View Post
I don't think so with the 33's - easiest way to check would be to call Jeremy at Rock Krawler and ask him. My guess is "not really - you would have to be so twisted out to rub that your droop side axle tire would be completely on the sidewall"
Kinda what I was thinkin. I don't wheel all that hard, so I don't think it'll be a problem. I do think discos and rear swaybar links are a good idea though.

And you defintely get a for the retainer clip suggestion. I never would have thought about that until I was staring at a spring that unseated bitching to no one inparticular that "WELL THERE OUGHTTA BE A F***ING CLIP THAT KEEPS EM IN THERE"

post #6 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

Dan I would definitely add bumpstops extensions. You don't want your up travel being limited by the shock, that could damage the shock.

Definitely extend the brake lines. Spring retainers are a good idea too.

I have the poly 3.5 lift and netted closer to 4" and have so far had no issues with the drive shafts.

Sent by carrier pigeon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Granite Guru

Para has a good point for sure - see, with the 35's my up travel gets limited by the fender flare - LOL not an optimal situation either...

I would just get some of the Teraflex extensions - I think they are some of the cheapest and will suffice for your needs - or hold off, wheel it, find your upper limit and then maybe look into some... That's sort of what I am doing...

post #8 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Good points made by all. Goddamn, this is getting more expensive the more I learn, so I'm just gonna stop learning stuff and jam my head in the sand until I break something...

post #9 of 20 Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

It's easier to spend the money now, get it done right the first time than have to deal with a breakdown out on a trail!

Sent by carrier pigeon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Granite Guru

If your gonna do any kind of offroading i would suggest just moving up to the max travel system. What your gonna spend to make it work right offroad could equal the price of the max travel system. If you are only doing on road the stock mod system is ok. I would be worried about my brakelines and swaybar endlinks. Plus for the extra coin you get adjustable control arms which will help with alignment.

2009 JK Unlimited - Deep Water Blue
Rough Country 2.5" Series II Budget Boost
18" XD Monsters w/ 35" Trail Grapplers
Superchips Flashpaq
KC windshield light brackets w/ KC slimlights
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Winch Bumper
Smittybilt SRC8 Winch
Relocated Flowmaster Super 44 w/ offroad tailpipe
post #11 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Added the swaybar links in the rear, front discos and spring retainer clips. I'll be shopping around for brake line extensions, but the ones I found online so far were all adding another $200 to the bill. I'm thinking there's a cheaper extension option out there. I'll be posting up whatever I come up with.

post #12 of 20 Old 02-26-2011, 04:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Added the swaybar links in the rear, front discos and spring retainer clips. I'll be shopping around for brake line extensions, but the ones I found online so far were all adding another $200 to the bill. I'm thinking there's a cheaper extension option out there. I'll be posting up whatever I come up with.
You can have my TF bumpstops if you want them-Should be getting my new ones in shortly-I can bring with me to the install Wanna give me your stock rear swaybar links as a trade?!

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #13 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 06:17 AM
dft
Wheeler

From what I understand if you're driving and auto trans like me. You need to get an aftermarket front driveshaft if you lift beyond 3" due to large diameter stock driveshaft rubbing against some other parts.
post #14 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Dan, definately get the bump stops if you're gonna wheel RC. When we did our 2.5 I messed up on ordering bump stops, long story, so didn't have them for the rear. I did end up blowing out a rear shock at some point. If you're talking/thinking wheeling the Pines mostly, you could get by without them though for a while until you get the coin for them. I'm sure our shock went at RC or Maine wheeling the rocks. As mentioned your DS will be fine, we've had no issues with ours at 2.5 or 3".

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #15 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

SS Brake lines from Rusty's Offroad are $69. I used them on the front and they are fine. For the rear I just made a bracket and moved the line down a few inches and works well. Used grey paint cause I didn't have any black that day. Never a problem. Just trying to solve the problems with less coin.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 02-27-2011 at 10:41 AM.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

I just recently did this lift to my 2009 Rubi. I added lots of Poly reinforcing brackets & such, but in all, here's what I would do differently:

1) Get an alignment right away. This helped me a ton.
2) Get adjustable control arms & adjust your caster angle where it needs to be. I'm still 'wandering' more than I'd like.

The brakeline extensions & bumpstops are mentioned above. But I'll add a little:
1) Check out the JKS adjustable bumpstops. Gotta put them in when the springs are off, but after that, you can change them around easily enough depending on your tires/flares/etc.

2) Skip the expensive SS brake lines. You don't need them for a 2.5" lift. Home-made extension bracket shown above works fine, or the $9 superlift extension brackets sold online. Front & Rear.

3) You should look at the lengths of your swaybar links. Ensure your swaybar is roughly parallel to the ground. I bought new links for the rear & moved the rears to the front (trick I learned here)

2011 5.3L GM LC9 Aluminum LS V8 Conversion w/ Custom Dyno Tune
Aluminum Genright Bumpers Front & Rear - Aluminum Nemesis Rockers
PR44/RCV/Reid Front - Superior Rear - ORF Front / Poly Rear Cage - ORF Tire Carrier
RK 3.5" Springs - Fox 2.0 Adjustable Shocks - JKS Arms & Trackbars - Poly Steering
post #17 of 20 Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Rock God

Great info here. Its always good to know what others have tried, and to find out it works. Thanks

2010 2 door sport, 6 speed,Dark Charcoal Pearl
post #18 of 20 Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Rock God

Sine I'm pretty green in the JK subject. I have a 2.5" Teraflex lift with the springs and shocks, brake line brakets and bump stops. How "necessary" is it to add the adjustable control arms? And would just lower control arms up front be okay? Again I ask cause like the rest or most of us $$ is tight but also dont want to forget anything.
post #19 of 20 Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep2.0 View Post
I just recently did this lift to my 2009 Rubi. I added lots of Poly reinforcing brackets & such, but in all, here's what I would do differently:

1) Get an alignment right away. This helped me a ton.Check - Gonna do this right after I add the lift - or did you mean before?

2) Get adjustable control arms & adjust your caster angle where it needs to be. I'm still 'wandering' more than I'd like. SHIT. Not gonna be in the budget anytime soon

The brakeline extensions & bumpstops are mentioned above. But I'll add a little:
1) Check out the JKS adjustable bumpstops. Gotta put them in when the springs are off, but after that, you can change them around easily enough depending on your tires/flares/etc. I'm not really gonna be doing a whole lot of flexy wheeling all that often, so these will have to wait until my credit card stops smoking

2) Skip the expensive SS brake lines. You don't need them for a 2.5" lift. Home-made extension bracket shown above works fine, or the $9 superlift extension brackets sold online. Front & Rear. Going with currie relo brackets. They seem like they'll fit the bill and were only $35 compared to the $$$$ of new brake lines

3) You should look at the lengths of your swaybar links. Ensure your swaybar is roughly parallel to the ground. I bought new links for the rear & moved the rears to the front (trick I learned here)Swaybar = ground level - CHECK! Adding new links in the rear and quick discos for the front.

post #20 of 20 Old 02-28-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper41 View Post
Dan, definately get the bump stops if you're gonna wheel RC. When we did our 2.5 I messed up on ordering bump stops, long story, so didn't have them for the rear. I did end up blowing out a rear shock at some point. If you're talking/thinking wheeling the Pines mostly, you could get by without them though for a while until you get the coin for them. I'm sure our shock went at RC or Maine wheeling the rocks. As mentioned your DS will be fine, we've had no issues with ours at 2.5 or 3".
Not anticipating DS issues since I'm only lifting 2.5" on a 4Dr manual trans.

As far as bumpstops go, the cash isn't really there for more Jeep stuff for a little while, but I think Craig mentioned something about his TF bumpstops.

EDIT:
Actually, it was in this thread.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode