Best Snow Tires? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Best Snow Tires?

What are the best 37"-40" snow tires? Right now I have 37" inch Toyo Open Country M/T and they are a great tire, great off road, fantastic street manners, and are wearing well. They only complaint I have is they are not the best on packed snow/ice and living at 7,500 feet we see a lot of the white stuff. They M/T's aren't terrible in the snow but their not the best. So what do you think the best snow tires are? Any personal experience? Would a narrower tire be better in the snow (I heard this somewhere)?I am Hopefully stepping up to 40"s in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Last night we got 9 inches in like 5 hours
Cars stranded everywhere roads closed. I never struggled with my falken wildpeaks
Check them out
Great in the rocks/dirt/rain and surprisingly good in the mud
Super tough sidewall

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #3 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would have two sets of tires.

A set of M/T for wheeling.

A set of winter compound for traveling on snow/ice covered roads.
I'm a big fan of Blizzak DM-V1.
However, they aren't going to do a lot in deep snow.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
Last night we got 9 inches in like 5 hours
Cars stranded everywhere roads closed. I never struggled with my falken wildpeaks
Check them out
Great in the rocks/dirt/rain and surprisingly good in the mud
Super tough sidewall
I've been driving my stock rubicon tires all winter in south lake tahoe.

They are fine until there is boilerplate snow and/or ice. At which point getting traction from a complete stop can be a little tricky. Especially on an incline.

I wonder how the Falken compare in similar conditions.

Info:

|
post #5 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

For the really deep shit (off-road snow runs) and 40" tires, most of the "aggressive tread" offerings from super swamper are great in the snow (Iroks, TLSs). They hold well and the lugs clean out relatively easy. But, the unfortunate trade-off is that they are mediocre on ice and shallow hard-pack. There is no perfect tire for everything, especially with ice in the mix.

Name:  snow.jpg
Views: 19747
Size:  25.0 KB
post #6 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
For the really deep shit (off-road snow runs) and 40" tires, most of the "aggressive tread" offerings from super swamper are great in the snow (Iroks, TLSs). They hold well and the lugs clean out relatively easy. But, the unfortunate trade-off is that they are mediocre on ice and shallow hard-pack. There is no perfect tire for everything, especially with ice in the mix.

Attachment 30485
Studded Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, FTW.

The studs will help with ice and shallow hard pack snow and the treads are pretty aggressive.

Getting a set (sans studs since it's so close to the end of the season) installed tonight if I can get my ass over to the tire shop in time after work.

post #7 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Studded Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, FTW.

The studs will help with ice and shallow hard pack snow and the treads are pretty aggressive.

Getting a set (sans studs since it's so close to the end of the season) installed tonight if I can get my ass over to the tire shop in time after work.
I had no idea about these. I love that they have the snowflake as well.

I will be looking into a set of these for next winter!!

Thank you!

Info:

|
post #8 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
I've been driving my stock rubicon tires all winter in south lake tahoe.

They are fine until there is boilerplate snow and/or ice. At which point getting traction from a complete stop can be a little tricky. Especially on an incline.

I wonder how the Falken compare in similar conditions.
Had a lot of the boiler plate type conditions on my way in around morning and they did great
The whole city was a packed sheet of ice till about 1 when the sun came out
No problem stopping or starting and that without traction control or abs, I was surprised

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #9 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Lots of good info thanks guys. How are MTR's with Kevlar in the snow?
post #10 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcologne25 View Post
Ive got a set on the TJ, but the more we use them in the snow, the more I don't really like them in the snow. For the exception of the outer "mud" tread, the rest of the tread pattern really packs with snow and the tires become slicks. The KM2s I had did that too.
post #11 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

My nitto mud grapplers have done very well this winter. Same snow as jeepnick last night and no problems at all.

07 black unlimited. 5.5" rock krawler x factor long arm. Pro comp soft 8s, 37" nitto mud grapplers. Kilby front winch bumper. Warn xd9000i. OrFab rear bumper. Much more to come in the near future.
post #12 of 30 Old 02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
JKO Addict!

swamper SSRs work awesome in the snow, yet they are quiet on the street. they wear awesome, i have over 10,000 miles on mine and they still look new.

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #13 of 30 Old 02-23-2011, 04:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

In here we have a law that we must have winter tires from dec to march or something.
Until dec 2014 we're OK with LT tires (like the KM, KM2, etc).
From dec 2014 we must have the snow flake icon on the tire. LT's dont have it.
I looked hard to find real winter tires in 37" and no go.
Not even one company had any. Biggest I found were like 34"...

Do any of those listed above have the snow flake icon?

PS: Some companies are starting to make "All-season - Winter ready" tires, which will have the snow flake icon, and have threads like the rain tires...
post #14 of 30 Old 02-23-2011, 06:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Not any better then the Toyo's or the KM2's. I currently run the Kevlars as I wanted to try yet another MTR looking for some kind of happy medium in the snow and they all seem to run about the same, just talking about snow. If you want a good snow tire for the streets in CO I would recommend something like the Duratracs. Any MT tire is going to have pro's and con's but none are known for snow traction.
post #15 of 30 Old 02-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxxis View Post
In here we have a law that we must have winter tires from dec to march or something.

PS: Some companies are starting to make "All-season - Winter ready" tires, which will have the snow flake icon, and have threads like the rain tires...
I have 35" Duratracs (315/75R-16). They have the snowflake emblem and are pinned for studs. They are aggressive enough to be good in deep snow, yet awesome on ice when studs are installed. They are the biggest snowtire I could find.
Pitbull Rockers are also supppose to be awesome in snow, but not good on ice.
My overall choice would be studded Duratracs for winter and ProComp Extreme M/T or PitBull Rockers for summer.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #16 of 30 Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 AM

I run Yokohama Geolander G072's when the white stuff hits the road. I'm pretty sure they are the biggest dedicated snow tire you can find @ 315/75R16 . There is no comparison to how these things drive on snow packed roads. With my Summer Mickey Thompson's I feel more like I am piloting a sail boat down the road and the poor abs are working over time.

I'm sure you can compromise and get an AT but my opinion is if you want to keep your Jeep rubber down on the roads in the winter give these bad boys a shot.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar_GO72.aspx
post #17 of 30 Old 02-23-2011, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I agree with everyone here.

If you really want the best experience you should have two sets of tires.

One set for wheeling / summer / etc..

One set for ice / snow / etc..

Info:

|
post #18 of 30 Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxxis View Post

As Per QC definition:
http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...on_pneus_hiver

Quote:
What is the definition of winter tires?

The regulation defines tires specifically designed for winter driving as those that meet one of the following criteria prior to December 15, 2014:

Tires on which one of the following inscriptions appear: Alaska, Arctic, A/T or AT, AT/S, AT-S , Blizzard, Cresta, Ice, INSA T1, INSA T2, INSA TT770, LT, Nordic, Snow (but not mud and snow), Stud, Studdable, Studded, Studless, TS, Ultra grip , Ultratraction or Winter, or the icon representing a mountain with a superimposed snowflake.

Or

Tires that are equipped with studs and used in accordance with the Regulation respecting the use of non-skid devices on the tires of certain road vehicles.

Starting on December 15, 2014, tires will have to bear the icon or be equipped with studs and be used in accordance with the Regulation respecting the use of non-skid devices on the tires of certain road vehicles.
That means that if you have LT tires, all you need to do is stud them.
Here are some alternatives:
1. http://www.gripstuds.com/Info.php
#1600 (3.6mm) or #1300 (3.2mm)
2. http://www.maxigripstore.ca/
HM15 or HM18

Quick howto: MaxiGrip - Screw Studs for DIY - Tires - YouTube

Note that the law stipulates you're allowed using studs on the roads upto 3.5mm.
That's what I'm doing...

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Eugenio; 12-08-2013 at 11:26 AM.
post #19 of 30 Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Granite Guru

I've yet to find an offroad tire perform better in snow & ice than the Treadwright Guard Dog M/Ts with Kedge Grip. That addition of glass and walnut shell particles is no gimmick - my Jeep absolutely gets it in snow country.

Here's a comparison Four Wheeler Magazine did to show just what a difference the Kedge Grip makes.

: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
post #20 of 30 Old 12-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Wheeler

You cannot beat the price and performance of the Hercules Avalanche X-Treme suv/truck tire. I have run just about every type of top rated winter tire on other 4x4 vehicles and these blow the others completely away ....

Deep groves, great tread pattern and they just plain hook and grip in any wet weather / ice condition including deep snow....

If you are looking for a dedicated winter tire that won't break the bank, look no further. And an excellent option for all you guys allowed to run tires studs.

Trust me, they will impress!
Attached Images

post #21 of 30 Old 12-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Wheeler

I've found Interco Trxus to be excellent in snow, even deep stuff. They do OK on ice and packed snow as well, though not as well as something like a Blizak.

Goodyear Duratracs are great everywhere but on slush, where they hydroplane. It's really disturbing when you turn the steering wheel and continue going straight.
post #22 of 30 Old 12-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Wheeler

slightly smaller

I'm running General Grabber AT studded, but they only offer them to 35". They are snow rated even without the studs. I'm running 245/70 16" as I need to stay down close to mail box height. 4 just ran less than $730 studded on an extra set of rims here in Pa.
post #23 of 30 Old 12-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Granite Guru

I picked up a set of Treadwrights and they are great in the snow

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #24 of 30 Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I used to think MTR w/ Kevlar tires were pretty decent on snow packed roads, but the set I have on this Jeep don't hook up very well at all. I initially blamed it on the 6.4 hemi under the hood, but the more I drive the Jeep the more I think it is mostly the tires. My wife's Grand Cherokee with stock tires makes my 6.4 Rubicon with its big aggressive tires look positively stupid on snow packed roads.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #25 of 30 Old 12-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMolester View Post
I've yet to find an offroad tire perform better in snow & ice than the Treadwright Guard Dog M/Ts with Kedge Grip. That addition of glass and walnut shell particles is no gimmick - my Jeep absolutely gets it in snow country.

Here's a comparison Four Wheeler Magazine did to show just what a difference the Kedge Grip makes.
Yep, I heard the Treadwright Guard Dogs were excellent winter tires I don't think they make them in a 37-40" tire though.
Nope, I was wrong.
They make the Treadwrights in 33x12.5xR15, 315x70R17, 37x12.5xR16. That's the biggest they make in the three different wheel sizes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode