lod bumpers. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
lod bumpers.

i am possibly looking into getting a new front bumper or rear bumper/tire carrier. really not sure on what i want at the moment, but i'm really digging the stinger front bumpers. i was just wondering if anyone that is running the front lod stinger bumpers that have the light package options, if they think it would be possible to fit a lightforce 140 light in there instead of the lights that come with that package. then that would kill 2 birds with 1 stone. i'd have my front bumper, be able to put my 140s that i have on my windshield, and then get the 170's to replace the 140's!!!! ne one think it can be done? prolly just take some minor cutting/trimming right??

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Wheeler

I've got the Lod rear bumper with tire carrier, jerry can carriers, and cargo basket. For the most part I'm happy with it. Solid construction and mounts with something like 11 bolts! I don't really remember and don't have the instructions handy. That being said, I'm really annoyed that I have to remove the spare tire to get the hi lift off. Plus even though I followed the instructions to the letter (IMO) the tire carrier still rattles some. Even after many minor adjusments. Also it has a provision for the 3rd brake light but since it's attached to the swing out, I've had to disconnect the wiring each time I want to open the tail gate. I could rewire it but I've been too lazy! Hope this helps.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-21-2011, 10:40 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

hogzilla a little something for you from the write up section---> Wiring a 3rd Brake Light with a swingout

josh- anything is possible! I think I am picking up that you want to mount the 140s into the factory fog light holes on the lod. Here's the kicker: lod wisely made 2 brackets on each light the match the factory mount. Basically two holes on each side of the housing very close to the housing itself. The 140's have a single base type mount as you know. So if you were to make it work you would have to grind of lod's mounts and then test fit the 140's to get them centered in the hole. (I'm not even sure if the 140s are the right diameter.) This might require some type of bracket on the interior or spacers. The issue with the 140's is the mount is more behind the lens and the angle migth be tough to mount off anything existing in the bumper, mainly below the light hole.

You could easily mount them on top of the fog light location and just leave the fog light holes for air induction

Here's my 4" HIDx mounted on top like I would recommend you doing with the 140's. You will have to drill these holes as to where you want them.

However, to toss a wrench in it, if you don't have a need for those factory type fog lights I would go with a different bumper! The lod sticks way out to allow room for those fog lights and winch (pic above). If a stinger and no fogs is what you are after check out the poison spyder BFH w/comp or trail stinger. Super tight fit, better approach angle than lod, and you can still mount your 140's

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-21-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JocKy View Post
hogzilla a little something for you from the write up section---> Wiring a 3rd Brake Light with a swingout

josh- anything is possible! I think I am picking up that you want to mount the 140s into the factory fog light holes on the lod. Here's the kicker: lod wisely made 2 brackets on each light the match the factory mount. Basically two holes on each side of the housing very close to the housing itself. The 140's have a single base type mount as you know. So if you were to make it work you would have to grind of lod's mounts and then test fit the 140's to get them centered in the hole. (I'm not even sure if the 140s are the right diameter.) This might require some type of bracket on the interior or spacers. The issue with the 140's is the mount is more behind the lens and the angle migth be tough to mount off anything existing in the bumper, mainly below the light hole.

You could easily mount them on top of the fog light location and just leave the fog light holes for air induction

Here's my 4" HIDx mounted on top like I would recommend you doing with the 140's. You will have to drill these holes as to where you want them.

However, to toss a wrench in it, if you don't have a need for those factory type fog lights I would go with a different bumper! The lod sticks way out to allow room for those fog lights and winch (pic above). If a stinger and no fogs is what you are after check out the poison spyder BFH w/comp or trail stinger. Super tight fit, better approach angle than lod, and you can still mount your 140's

thanks for your input, and it's funny that you mention the poison spyder because i was just on river city offroads web site looking at ps stuff. especially the brawler bumpers. i would like to have the option of having the 140's to fit into the fog lights because it would be different. i really don't care to have the fog lights, as my x doesn't have them anyways. i just love my light force lights and just want an excuse to purchase more! lol. thanks again.

r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-21-2011, 11:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

check out poison spyders site as they have tons of pics of different bumpers and you can see what the light mounting options are. It seems like the price is lower on the PS stuff, but when you start adding the accessories needed to be a functional bumper it will match the lod setup. However you can do it in stages.

An lod with no winch would look silly!

Good luck josh!

RUBI / 37" Grappler's / 3.5 RK X / 5.38's
RockKrawler : PoisonSpyder : RCV :LOD : Iggee : sPOD : Nitto : WARN : Yukon : Rock Hard : Tatton : PolyPerformance
REBEL OFFROAD
post #6 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

I haven't had the chance to bump into anything yet, but LoD sticks out from the grill more than it needs to. PS and Genright would have been better for me, but LoD does look good from the front and it gave me the clearance I wanted.
Also, don't be shocked if they promise a quick delivery. They lie. Expect to wait months. Their customer service licks bag.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

I went with an LoD front mid-width, but their ship dates were right on, he said 4 to 5 weeks and it was 5 weeks.

I got mine bare metal and had it powdercoated locally, didn't want the LoD logo on it.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 AM
JKO Addict!

LoD product isn't bad, but there is certainly better stuff out there. There are little things like the quality of the powder coating, the thickness of the d-ring tabs or even the thickness of the light tabs if you have them on the winch hoop.

I've got mixed feelings with dealing with Chris at LoD. He's good in that he'll stand behind his product. He took my rock sliders back, sand blasted them and had them re-powder coated. In other respects he's not so good. He's the nicest guy in the world up until the point you place your order with him, after that point not so good, at least in my experience.

If I were still in the game for building either one of my JK's I would looking at other product manufacturers.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

thanks for all of the advice about lod guys. i'm starting to lean more towards poison spyder ne ways. for you guys out there that are running ps bumpers, is there nething that you DON'T like about it? instal, nething?

r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Wheeler

[QUOTE=JocKy;691189]hogzilla a little something for you from the write up section---> Wiring a 3rd Brake Light with a swingout
existing in the bumper, mainly below the light hole.

Thanks Jocky, Ive actually seen this but have been too lazy to just do it. I installed the bumper, an sPod, and a benchmark stage 3 dual battery set up in the span of a month. I wanted to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor for a bit. Plus wiring the back up lights with a switch proved to be almost beyond my electrical skills and I didn't feel like tackling another wiring project for a while. I did find a nice solution on the "other" forum that I'll probably go with since I haven't been banned there. Yet!

[QUOTE=kkuntz01;691306]I've got mixed feelings with dealing with Chris at LoD. He's good in that he'll stand behind his product. He took my rock sliders back, sand blasted them and had them re-powder coated. In other respects he's not so good. He's the nicest guy in the world up until the point you place your order with him, after that point not so good, at least in my experience.

I agree. Lots of communication until order was actually placed, then nothing. A virtual black out. Everything did finally come in (minus some hardware) over the span of two weeks. Of course oops (ups) banged everything up pretty good except the bumper itself. It was packaged very well. Everything esle just needed a little black touch up from a rattle can.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-22-2011, 04:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My first bumpers were LoD ...and I can't complain about the quality. They were solid. That said ...you could (read could) have a bit of a wait a head of you. Check out Poison Spyder ...RROR makes really solid stuff too. Lots to choose from.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #12 of 12 Old 02-23-2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

a buddy of mine last year ordered the front and rear rror bumpers, and they took forever to get. there were just a couple small things that he told the guys that he wanted changed, like an 1nch 1/4 shaved off of the back because he wasn't putting a back winch in and he wanted the bumper as close to the body as possible. there were a couple of other things as well, but needless to say, when he got the bumpers the front was perfect. but, the rear was totally wrong. the powdercoat job was shotty and the things that he asked to have changed, that he paid extra for, weren't even done. so he got in contact with them and he had to take it to a local shop to have the things fixed on his dime. now, he doesn't even have the rear carrier on ne more because on the passenger side when the carrier is opened it saggs soo bad. and the "powdercoat job" that was done on it when he bought the bumper is completley gone. now it just looks like a bare metal bumper that's rusted all to hell.

r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode