noob to offroading - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JKRubicon90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scranton, PA
Age: 29
Posts: 384
Feedback: 0 reviews
noob to offroading

Hey guys i finally sold my diesel pulling truck and got a 4Dr Rubicon and just getting into the offroading thing now, and looking to throw on some 18" wheels with nitto mud grapplers but just wondering how the completely stock jeep will flex with 33s i know some rubbing is going to occur but just how much rubbing is what im trying figure out. Not looking to go extreme just some offroading till i gather money for protection.

THANKS !!
DAN
JKRubicon90 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 05:31 PM
JKO Addict!
 
leman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Guntersville
Age: 29
Posts: 2,907
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

search will be your greatest friend. you will rub stock with 33"s you will need to put atleast a leveling kit on it.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
leman is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Rock God
 
curbsjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Crofton, Md
Age: 37
Posts: 1,344
Feedback: 1 reviews

Or put on some wheel spacers. You could do some trimming too and get rid of the rub.

_____________________________________________
Mango Tango Unlimited Mountain
curbsjeep is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Rock God
 
dtcc687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Woodbury Heights, nj
Age: 31
Posts: 1,405
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I'm running 33 nittos stock and I cut my front fenders. No problems now. But I still rub in the rear at max flew I almost tear my fender off. Its already come off once. I either need to buy rear flares or lift my jeep. But overall its very doable and not that annoying to deal with.

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..
Crew
dtcc687 is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Rock God
 
dtcc687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Woodbury Heights, nj
Age: 31
Posts: 1,405
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

O and buy new wheels with the right backspacing helps a lot too.

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..
Crew
dtcc687 is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 05:41 PM
JKO Addict!
 
HOOLIGAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kansas
Age: 49
Posts: 2,405
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcc687 View Post
I'm running 33 nittos stock and I cut my front fenders. No problems now. But I still rub in the rear at max flew I almost tear my fender off. Its already come off once. I either need to buy rear flares or lift my jeep. But overall its very doable and not that annoying to deal with.
Just put a leveling kit on and you won't rub at all.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
HOOLIGAN is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JKRubicon90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scranton, PA
Age: 29
Posts: 384
Feedback: 0 reviews

Looks like ill be getting a lift kit first then lol who has reliable 4" lift kits for a decent price ?

links would be helpful

THANKS !
Dan
JKRubicon90 is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nc_fjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,972
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
Looks like ill be getting a lift kit first then lol who has reliable 4" lift kits for a decent price ?

links would be helpful

THANKS !
Dan
Look at Rock Krawler Suspension first. They're the best in my opinion. Look at their setups and then search you options.

If you want to search the forum, go to Google and type in your search word followed by site:jkowners.com (i.e. rock krawer site:jkowners.com). Better than the forum search option.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
nc_fjizzle is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nc_fjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,972
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

And welcome, BTW

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
nc_fjizzle is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JKRubicon90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scranton, PA
Age: 29
Posts: 384
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
And welcome, BTW
THANKS !

Now i just did a little research on which i should choose SA or LA people i was just reading some reviews on different forums and guys are saying thier is a differnce and thier isnt a different wether its ride quality or flexing
JKRubicon90 is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Rock God
 
dtcc687's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Woodbury Heights, nj
Age: 31
Posts: 1,405
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Someone is giving me a lift anyway so I won't rub soon

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..
Crew
dtcc687 is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 07:02 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nc_fjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,972
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
THANKS !

Now i just did a little research on which i should choose SA or LA people i was just reading some reviews on different forums and guys are saying thier is a differnce and thier isnt a different wether its ride quality or flexing
If it's a DD I'd say go with a Mid Arm system. Depends on what you wanna do with it? What size tires you wanna run? Hard wheeling? Occasional wheeling? The more info the easier it is for people to point you in the right direction. There's guys running 37's on 2.5 inches of lift.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad

Last edited by nc_fjizzle; 02-20-2011 at 10:23 PM.
nc_fjizzle is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JKRubicon90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scranton, PA
Age: 29
Posts: 384
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
If it's a DD I'd say go with a Mid Arm system. Depends on what you wanna do with it? What size tires you wanna run? Hard wheeling? Occasional wheeling? The more info the easier it is for people to point you in the right direction. There's guys running 40's on 2.5 inches of lift.
Def going with 33s, undecided on the lift though im just doing occasional wheeling nothing way to extreme, i was looking at the rough country 4" xseries lift bc its kinda in the range i wanna spend nothing over 2k, now ive read you need both front and rear driveshafts? like i said im a noob just learning as i go
JKRubicon90 is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:09 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nootherride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CHICO,CA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,135
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
Def going with 33s, undecided on the lift though im just doing occasional wheeling nothing way to extreme, i was looking at the rough country 4" xseries lift bc its kinda in the range i wanna spend nothing over 2k, now ive read you need both front and rear driveshafts? like i said im a noob just learning as i go
4 inch and 33's will look crazy....flat fenders and a 2inch plus would be awsome...keep in mind you will need to adress the rear driveline in a 4dr over 3.5...also the RC shocks suck big time fyi....my .02


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
nootherride is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!
 
leman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Guntersville
Age: 29
Posts: 2,907
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

if 33"s is as big as you wanna go then all you will need is a leveling kit or a 2" lift kit.

im running rustys 2" kit and cut fenders with 35"s http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=JKKITS



dont worry about being a newb we were all there. just grab your favorite beverage and start reading.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads

Last edited by leman; 02-20-2011 at 08:13 PM.
leman is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nc_fjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,972
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

With more than 3" of lift your driveshafts will take a beating. If you want 33's there's no need to go with a 4" lift. I'd recommend the Rock Krawler Stock Mod system...2.5" of lift and you can clear up to 35's with flat fenders. I'm running that system with 35's...you can see a pic if you click my username.

Here's the kit I'm taking about:
http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=338

Get up with Marcus at RiverCity Offroad he's a vendor here and a great guy...won't steer you wrong.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
nc_fjizzle is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nc_fjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,972
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

^^ Damn you guys are fast.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
nc_fjizzle is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
JKRubicon90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scranton, PA
Age: 29
Posts: 384
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
if 33"s is as big as you wanna go then all you will need is a leveling kit or a 2" lift kit.

im running rustys 2" kit and cut fenders with 35"s http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=JKKITS



dont worry about being a newb we were all there. just grab your favorite beverage and start reading.
i have same exactly jeep as you and thats what i want it to look like, now how is your flex, good? and also the ride quality on and off the road ?

THANKS
Dan
JKRubicon90 is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Rock God
 
Wrangling Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 961
Feedback: 0 reviews

Why an 18" wheel for 33's? You would save a ton of dough going with a 15” wheel and tire package. And not only would it be a lot cheaper, but it would serve you much better off road in my opinion…

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan-
Wrangling Steel is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:22 PM
JKO Addict!
 
leman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Guntersville
Age: 29
Posts: 2,907
Garage
Feedback: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRubicon90 View Post
i have same exactly jeep as you and thats what i want it to look like, now how is your flex, good? and also the ride quality on and off the road ?

THANKS
Dan
flex is pretty good for a 2" kit





and i feel like it rides better than stock on road and way better off road. i like speed too.

YouTube - Choccolocco Mountain Veteran's Day

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
leman is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:23 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nootherride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CHICO,CA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,135
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangling Steel View Post
Why an 18" wheel for 33's? You would save a ton of dough going with a 15” wheel and tire package. And not only would it be a lot cheaper, but it would serve you much better off road in my opinion…
x2


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
nootherride is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Rock God
 
Wrangling Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 961
Feedback: 0 reviews

I also forgot to mention the tire selection is great in a 33x15 configuration… 15" wheels and tires for less than the cost of just the 18" tires = more money for other mods; and trust me, when you say this is all you're going to do to your Jeep, you're fooling yourself...

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan-
Wrangling Steel is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:30 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Joneszj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PHILADELPHIA
Posts: 2,805
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

If you do change your mind and go with a 4" lift possibly running 35s, i recommend Superlift. It comes with a lot of parts other companies leave out and you can always add aftermarket control arms to complete the lift, like I did. If you are set on a 4 inch lift its going to take a lot more money to do it the right the way and if you are only going 33s, stick with the 2" lifts like those above recommend.

Really I just wanted to chime in to let you know that Superlift makes a better product than rough country, IMO. And now the Superlift lifts come with Bilstein 5100s which is pretty awesome...wish mine had come with those shocks.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Joneszj is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 08:37 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nc_fjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,972
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
If you do change your mind and go with a 4" lift possibly running 35s, i recommend Superlift. It comes with a lot of parts other companies leave out and you can always add aftermarket control arms to complete the lift, like I did. If you are set on a 4 inch lift its going to take a lot more money to do it the right the way and if you are only going 33s, stick with the 2" lifts like those above recommend.

Really I just wanted to chime in to let you know that Superlift makes a better product than rough country, IMO. And now the Superlift lifts come with Bilstein 5100s which is pretty awesome...wish mine had come with those shocks.
Superlift makes good stuff...but if he's going 33's now the Stock Mod will give room to grow all the way to 37's. Decisions decisions.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
nc_fjizzle is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 02-20-2011, 09:30 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nootherride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CHICO,CA
Age: 35
Posts: 2,135
Feedback: 0 reviews

Rock Krawler is A+ stuff from everything ive looked at/tested im going to a 3.5 and 35's or 37's next


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
nootherride is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome