Chrysler can't fix leak, what have you done? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 02-19-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Chrysler can't fix leak, what have you done?

Ok, many of you guys know the infamous JK soft top leaks I am talking about, there must be a hundered threads on them and I have read most of them.

My 08 JK has been back to the dealer 3 times and has had all the TSBs done, new header, header seal, door seals and surrounds and it still leaks. Chrysler is sending out a tech rep next week, but I've read where they aren't able to fix the leaks either.

So my question is... for those of you whos dealers have not been able to get your soft top to stop leaking...what was the final outcome? What did you dealership do? Buy your Jeep back, make you lemon law it, get you a '10 and up top, get you an aftermarket top, give up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-19-2011, 07:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Id push for a 2010+ top if you could. Have they not replaced the top yet?

Leaking water and not air I assume?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 06:18 AM
Rock God

In the 7 Jeeps(1 CJ, 2 YJs, 2 TJs & 2 JKs) I've owned, I've never had one where the softop didn't leak a little bit... that's an awful lot of canvas to have a 100% seal IMO.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Rock God

Where does it leak? Mine leaked at the windsheild, i put the red butt connectors in the latch and it pulled it tighter and sealed it up good.

Do you have half or full doors
The fix for half doors is to take a heat gun and heat the plastic parts that slide into the lower door and bend them 10mm at a time till the window seals. Thats what Chrysler had the dealer here do to mine. still leaks a little but its way better than it was.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Granite Guru

mine does not leak at all. Push for a new top.

2008 2 Door X
33x12.5R15 Duratracs on Soft 8's
2'' (3'' actual) Rusty's coil lift
Cobra 75 w/ Wilson 4' Flex
post #6 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru

Two words, LEMOM LAW. I had an 07 that they could'nt fix [ and admitted it to me ]. I got an attorney and ended up with an 09 which I've had no problems with. If you have any questions send me a message.

09 yellow JK with 2 inch lift 33's on Pro Comp wheels,Raingler straps
post #7 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 01:37 PM
Granite Guru

Both dealerships here in town would not cooperate with me at all in getting my top fixed or replaced under warranty. I ended up replacing the header myself, adding a long seal strip along the header, and tightening the corners where the top wraps around and it seemed to do the trick. It'll still leak over the door if it rains, but it doesn't actually get inside.

I say push for a new top as well.

'07 Wrangler "Rescue" | 4" Teraflex | 35x12.5x17 KM2's | Eagle Alloy 185's | Rubicon Sliders | 4.10's | JE-Reel DS | OR-FAB/RR Bumpers | Billet Shifters
post #8 of 11 Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Wheeler

I have a 2010 4dr and it doesnt leak at any of the seals (windshield or doors), however the water DOES accumulate in the mid section of the soft top when it rains hard and eventually leaks above the rear seats... very annoying!

2010 4dr stone white rubicon
2.5 teraflex BB, smittybuilt rock guards, safari straps
post #9 of 11 Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Wheeler

Give it another year JKgal. My freedom top leaks need to replace all the seal.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjeepr View Post
Where does it leak? Mine leaked at the windsheild, i put the red butt connectors in the latch and it pulled it tighter and sealed it up good.

Do you have half or full doors
The fix for half doors is to take a heat gun and heat the plastic parts that slide into the lower door and bend them 10mm at a time till the window seals. Thats what Chrysler had the dealer here do to mine. still leaks a little but its way better than it was.
Half doors. Thanks for the tip, that is the very first time on any board and a gazillion threads that I have seen this tip. I will try it.

Every door leaks. It end up dripping about in the middle of the door but It's difficult to tell where the leaks originate. Here is a video of one of the leaks YouTube - VIDEO Rear Driver door leak 2 12 11

Chrysler sent a tech out to the dealership and they are workingon it today. I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the replies.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

They replaced the header seal with a redesigned one from a 2011 model and adjusted all the doors. Have to wait and see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode