Smittybilt X2O winch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Smittybilt X2O winch

Is anyone using the new Smittybilt X2O winch? Seems like they are trying to get into the sealed winch market. Price-wise it seems like a good buy...stainless hardware, synthetic line, sturdier components. How do they hold up/last? any problems?

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/152.htm

Appreciate all advice...

2010 Rubicon Unlimited - AEV hood w/ hoodlifts : Rugged Ridge front skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite & RICO DIY Rails: Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor PRO : Skyjacker Nitro's : Poly Performance rear LCA skids/shock relo : Injen power-flow CAI : aFe Machforce 3" CAT back : Diablosport Predator : SuperWinch EPi9.0S.
...suffering from a small Jeep addiction.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Granite Guru

its not out yet....

they haven't even priced it.

just like alot of stuff on smittys website

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
6 speed / 5" Lift / 37" KM2s / Method Race wheels /
Fox Shocks / Slanted hardtop / Smittybilt Stinger /
Body armor Swing away / 4:88 gears / AFE intake /
Custom Magnaflow/Hypertech/Viper tbody.Much more...
post #3 of 20 Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

first problem is its a 10k winch with only 8k line. the next problem is the same one i ran into on my xrc comp 10 the hook is rated to 4k it does have a 5-1 safety factor but the stamped working load limit is 2 tons. i replaced the hook and had the synthetic line pull tested at a local rigging shop. you get what you pay for with these i have one it has not failed me but i do think about it everytime i unspool the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
This is one reason I have a strict policy of not eating anything out of another dudes butt. Flick it with my tongue? Sure. Run my tongue around the rim? Depends. Dart my tongue in for a brief second? Maybe. Eat something out of it? No fuckin' way!
If you want to know whats on it check my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by knyland View Post
first problem is its a 10k winch with only 8k line. the next problem is the same one i ran into on my xrc comp 10 the hook is rated to 4k it does have a 5-1 safety factor but the stamped working load limit is 2 tons. i replaced the hook and had the synthetic line pull tested at a local rigging shop. you get what you pay for with these i have one it has not failed me but i do think about it everytime i unspool the line.
Thanks for the info...I have been researching winches and it seems like the old reliables are still the same...warn, ramsey, superwinch. a buddy recommended a Bulldog, but they seem like chinese too.

2010 Rubicon Unlimited - AEV hood w/ hoodlifts : Rugged Ridge front skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite & RICO DIY Rails: Rock Krawler 3.5 X Factor PRO : Skyjacker Nitro's : Poly Performance rear LCA skids/shock relo : Injen power-flow CAI : aFe Machforce 3" CAT back : Diablosport Predator : SuperWinch EPi9.0S.
post #5 of 20 Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRuby View Post
Thanks for the info...I have been researching winches and it seems like the old reliables are still the same...warn, ramsey, superwinch. a buddy recommended a Bulldog, but they seem like chinese too.
I had a Bulldog winch on my TJ and it was an absolute piece of shit. Motor ate it on the second pull and much of the exterior started rusting less than a month after I bought it. Swapped it for another one and the replacement did the exact same thing.

And say what you will about cheap Chinese crap, but Smittybilt actually makes a good, inexpensive winch.

'07 Wrangler "Rescue" | 4" Teraflex | 35x12.5x17 KM2's | Eagle Alloy 185's | Rubicon Sliders | 4.10's | JE-Reel DS | OR-FAB/RR Bumpers | Billet Shifters

Last edited by Spank; 02-18-2011 at 06:23 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 02-18-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank View Post
I had a Bulldog winch on my TJ and it was an absolute piece of shit. Motor ate it on the second pull and much of the exterior started rusting less than a month after I bought it. Swapped it for another one and the replacement did the exact same thing.

And say what you will about cheap Chinese crap, but Smittybilt actually makes a good, inexpensive winch.
I am not convinced about the Bulldog either...thats why I mentioned it (my reference to chinese stuff). I actually am interested in the Smittybilts, just trying to learn more about them and why I posted this thread. Just looking for opinions... I can get a new Warn M8000 for $540 delivered, but I realy would like to find a reasonable priced and reliable winch w syhthetic.

post #7 of 20 Old 02-19-2011, 06:59 AM
Granite Guru

they are trying to get the x2o's out by the end of March. they have tested well in all catagories. you have to remember however they are a less expensive winch. you cannot compare them to a warn winch but i have the xrc 10 on mine and have never had any issues. there are hundreds of threads about the smittys and other chinese made winches. for the average user they are a good deal for the quality. plus the warranty on its great. the only ones i ever see come back are from abuse or lack of knowledge of how to use a winch. some people think you can just keep pulling with out letting the winch cool and some try to hang their jeeps from trees. if you use it correctly it will should never let you down.
post #8 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRuby View Post
I am not convinced about the Bulldog either...thats why I mentioned it (my reference to chinese stuff). I actually am interested in the Smittybilts, just trying to learn more about them and why I posted this thread. Just looking for opinions... I can get a new Warn M8000 for $540 delivered, but I realy would like to find a reasonable priced and reliable winch w syhthetic.
You can get an M8000 delivered for less than that actually. I wonder who from? Oh yeah, us!

The X2O that they showed out at Sema was a nice looking product. I did hear of the stories that they had about a group of XRC with synth lines going out with smaller hooks, then another set with the rating stamped wrong. From my understanding, those issues were resolved. There are a couple of guys in my club running the XRC and the hooks are the same size as on my milemarker.

There's also the option of buying a less expensive steel rope winch and upgrading to synth later on down the road. For quality rope at a reasonable price, you can't be Amsteel Blue.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddons-chris View Post
You can get an M8000 delivered for less than that actually. I wonder who from? Oh yeah, us!

The X2O that they showed out at Sema was a nice looking product. I did hear of the stories that they had about a group of XRC with synth lines going out with smaller hooks, then another set with the rating stamped wrong. From my understanding, those issues were resolved. There are a couple of guys in my club running the XRC and the hooks are the same size as on my milemarker.

There's also the option of buying a less expensive steel rope winch and upgrading to synth later on down the road. For quality rope at a reasonable price, you can't be Amsteel Blue.
Great guy^^^^

Bought my Superwinch EPI9.0S for 550 shipped I think, AMAZING deal

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #10 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Thanks Grizz, appreciated!

Unfortunately, we can't offer that deal anymore. Can't get the EPi9.0S at all actually. I got an email from Superwinch last week telling us that they stopped production on them and that their stock was completely gone as well. They're being replaced by the Talon Series line, which should be available sometime within the next month or two, but the Talon Series is going to be a higher priced group of winches than the EP series. I was surprised when I read that because the EPi9.0S was a good seller and I probably got more inquiries about that winch than anything else outside the Warn brand.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
...and some try to hang their jeeps from trees...
But I saw it in a movie!!!

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #12 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks Grizz, appreciated!

Unfortunately, we can't offer that deal anymore. Can't get the EPi9.0S at all actually. I got an email from Superwinch last week telling us that they stopped production on them and that their stock was completely gone as well. They're being replaced by the Talon Series line, which should be available sometime within the next month or two, but the Talon Series is going to be a higher priced group of winches than the EP series. I was surprised when I read that because the EPi9.0S was a good seller and I probably got more inquiries about that winch than anything else outside the Warn brand.
Really? That's nuts. I know a lot of people around here run the EPI. So they are just no longer making it period?

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #13 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 10:06 AM
Granite Guru

The release date for the x20 is supposed to be april 1st and the price for a 10k one is right under 700 if memory recalls correct was like 649
post #14 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

They had the X20 on the Smittybilt 2 door sitting out at KoH. I checked it out and it looks good! I wouldn't say anything bad about the Smittybilt winches either.

Don't forget Tabor which is Warn's budget line. For the money I like the Smittybilt.

Marcus

post #15 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

How long ago was this?

I am strongly leaning towards the Bulldog Alpha which comes with a lifetime warranty.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
How long ago was this?

I am strongly leaning towards the Bulldog Alpha which comes with a lifetime warranty.
I sold my TJ 3 years ago and I think I had put the winch on about a year before that, so around 4? A lifetime warranty certainly isn't a bad deal, but I hope they've improved their products since then.

'07 Wrangler "Rescue" | 4" Teraflex | 35x12.5x17 KM2's | Eagle Alloy 185's | Rubicon Sliders | 4.10's | JE-Reel DS | OR-FAB/RR Bumpers | Billet Shifters
post #17 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I sold my TJ 3 years ago and I think I had put the winch on about a year before that, so around 4? A lifetime warranty certainly isn't a bad deal, but I hope they've improved their products since then.
Yeah if they are willing to offer the warranty, I think they have improved on quality since then...
post #18 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Granite Guru

smittybilt also has a good warranty on their winches 1 yr electrical and lifetime mechanical only catch is mechanical warranty it has to be broke broke not just half broke
post #19 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
Really? That's nuts. I know a lot of people around here run the EPI. So they are just no longer making it period?
Just flat out stopped production period. Surprised the shlick out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblustang90 View Post
The release date for the x20 is supposed to be april 1st and the price for a 10k one is right under 700 if memory recalls correct was like 649
That's the tentative date and they'll be going for around $649 most places. I'm sure we'll be running a special price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
They had the X20 on the Smittybilt 2 door sitting out at KoH. I checked it out and it looks good! I wouldn't say anything bad about the Smittybilt winches either.

Don't forget Tabor which is Warn's budget line. For the money I like the Smittybilt.

Marcus
I totally agree.
post #20 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:

Thanks for the info......I just ordered a EPi9.0S, it must be one of the last ones in inventory. I have read nothing but good things about the EPi winches. That is a bummer if they have stopped making them though. I saw the Talon in the latest Quadratec cat...nice looking winch too but almost $1,100 w synth. Talon seems like an upgrade to the EPi with more refined components.

I decided not to go with the X2O...too many inconsistantcies in the product descriptions. 10K winch with 8k line? Don't know if that was a misprint on smittybilts part? Apart from that...it seems like they are putting together a rock'in winch. Just don't know if I want to spend my hard earned clams on being the winch guinia pig. I spent aprox the same for the EPi for what the X2O will be selling for. + the blue amsteel line on the EPi will go nicely with my deep water blue rubi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode