Half Door JKs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 02-18-2011, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Half Door JKs

I am starting my search for a JK unlimited and I really like the half doors, but have only found one so far. Is this very rare setup, or is it just hard to find in Michigan? Also, were Rubicons available with half doors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-18-2011, 06:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The availability has been out there, most fo the folks buying the JK are for all the creature comforts so not many people want the half doors. If i was driving my jeep everyday id stay with the full doors as well but mine sits at home 99% of the time.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
The availability has been out there, most fo the folks buying the JK are for all the creature comforts so not many people want the half doors. If i was driving my jeep everyday id stay with the full doors as well but mine sits at home 99% of the time.
That's exactly how I feel. I have had a few TJ and they always had half doors. This JK will be a toy and won't be a daily driver.

The hard part is I found a nice 08 X with 43,000 miles with half doors for $20,995 and Rubi with full doors and power everything (which I could care less about) and a hardtop for $23,900 with 59,000 miles on it. I am trying to decide if the Rubi is worth the extra money, especially since it doesn't have the top door setup I want. I know I get the extras with the Rubi, but I really don't need a 4:1 tcase but the lockers and front d44 would be nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned

If you're just gonna replace everything that makes it a Rubi like the tires, suspension, gears, etc, then it makes more sense to get the X and build it your way. If your plan was to kinda keep it stock, then go with the Rubi.

Considering that half doors will run you no less than 2K (Unpainted) for a 4 Door, you should just get the damned half doors and sell em to me if you don't like em.

post #5 of 28 Old 02-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Wheeler

1/2 dr JK Ultd 4drs are kinda rare. I personally have seen only 3 others than mine, and that includes a good amount of time I've spent offroading in places like Moab. Full door's are definitly more luxo and with power windows convenient, but personally (and of course it is all personal taste) I just think a jeep is a 1/2 door thing. Sure, the road noise is louder and it's somewhat annoying to unzip the plastic windows vs. push a button (but the cuties at the drive in coffee kiosks LOVE it when i uhh......unzip!). Maybe if I had small kids doing the family thing and the JK was an intensive daily driver, then sure, full doors are probably a better choice. But when it's good weather and the top and windows are off.......there is just nothing like it, I wouldn't trade it for any other Jeep experience. As far as Rubi's go, when I purchased mine back in the summer of '08, the dealers found only 2 on lots west of the Mississippi river at that time, and fortunate for me it was the yellow one i wanted. But it was in Austin, TX and I was in Seattle. No prob, I got on the plane the next day, flew there and drove it back (thru Moab even). I got lucky I think as it probably is a factory order thing. Good luck finding one and hope u join the jk 1/2 dr ultd sub-sub culture. Happy trails!

[URL=""]

post #6 of 28 Old 02-19-2011, 10:56 AM
Rock God

Wish I had half doors. But they would absolutely suck here in the winter. Since mine's a daily driver, wasn't really an option. Considering I just leave the doors off anyhow when I'm wheeling, guess it's not that big of a deal. I vote NO DOORS.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 2dr Rubicon with a part from everyone...
post #7 of 28 Old 02-19-2011, 10:58 AM
JKO Addict!

+1 more that wishes for half doors, but I wouldn't give up my fulls.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-19-2011, 11:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I traded my fulls..... zero regrets.

I love throwing the uppers in the back and then throwing them back on when the weather turns to shit.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Rock God

they need to come out with glass slider uppers for half doors for the winter.. that would be sweet ! besttop was supose to make some .. but i dont think they ever came out ...
post #10 of 28 Old 02-19-2011, 04:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
they need to come out with glass slider uppers for half doors for the winter.. that would be sweet ! besttop was supose to make some .. but i dont think they ever came out ...

Agreed! I would pick up a set of those harsh Texas winters

It would be a nice option!
post #11 of 28 Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Rock God

Rugged Ridge now makes half doors

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=62199

Wrangler Mountain Edition

Rock Krawler • Synergy • JKS • LoD • Goodyear
post #12 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 AM
JPK
Rock God

My wife's JKU Rubicon has half doors, I ordered it from the dealer that way. My brother's X has half doors too.

Both of those JKU's are second vehicles thankfully, since the zip windows are a pita when it rains or throughout the winter. But its livable since they are both second vehicles for their drivers and see the most use in the summer.

My own JKU Rubicon, also my second vehicle, has both. It came with both tops and hard doors and I ordered half doors and windows. Despite the extra expense, this is truly the way to go if the Jeep gets driven alot. I never thought I'd warm to the hard doors or electric windows, but jeez, was I wrong.

So, my Jeep wears the hard top and hard doors through the winter, when it sees a lot of use for hunting trips - and my guns are relatively secure in the Jeep too. As spring comes on the hard top gets switched out for the soft top and then as it gets warmer and nicer, rains less frequently, late spring the hard doors come off and the half doors go on. (We get a lot of spring rain with very nice days interspersed, and so the soft top but hard doors through the rainiest season.)

In the late fall its a switch back to hard top and hard doors for hunting season. I get by during the earliest part of hunting season with a security deck in back, but longer guns won't fit unless broken down, which is easy enough to do with doubles shotguns or rifles, pump or auto shotguns, but impossible with bolt rifles or blackpowder.

I still have an LJ, which is now awaiting my daughter's 16th b-day, and did pretty much the same seasonal rotation using Element doors with steel skins painted to match, but the soft windows sucked so much that I went without them through the late spring into early fall, be damned the rain.

If you have to choose one, I'd have to say go hard top and hard doors. BTW, I like the Freedom top removable front panels and use them fairly frequently.

Hope this helps in your deliberations.

JPK

Last edited by JPK; 02-21-2011 at 07:17 AM.
post #13 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I ended up buying a 07 JKU Rubicon this weekend. It has fulll doors and a hard top, I never thought I would enjoy that setup, espeically with the storm we got last night. I plan to buy a oft top of some type this spring and may some full soft doors if I can get over the cost of them.
post #14 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20JK10 View Post
Rugged Ridge now makes half doors

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=62199
Is that 884.99 price for a JKU or JK? There's a big ol' difference there. These are looking like the front runner at the moment, since that's a smokin deal on half doors - even if they are plastic.

post #15 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Granite Guru

How bad do the Mopar half doors and uppers leak?
post #16 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejk09 View Post
How bad do the Mopar half doors and uppers leak?
i had some and mine didnt leak at all..
post #17 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Is that 884.99 price for a JKU or JK? There's a big ol' difference there. These are looking like the front runner at the moment, since that's a smokin deal on half doors - even if they are plastic.

DAMN! You got me all excited there for a moment. I like the concept of the RR half doors (for the right price) too. Just when to RR's site. That product #11509.01 is for the front doors only, #11509.02 is for the rear. I'm guessing about double the price for us JKU'ers. Too much skin for me...

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #18 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I traded my fulls..... zero regrets.

I love throwing the uppers in the back and then throwing them back on when the weather turns to shit.
Any leaking?
post #19 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
DAMN! You got me all excited there for a moment. I like the concept of the RR half doors (for the right price) too. Just when to RR's site. That product #11509.01 is for the front doors only, #11509.02 is for the rear. I'm guessing about double the price for us JKU'ers. Too much skin for me...
Yup...They list the front and rear doors for the same price. The prices for the front uppers and rear uppers are the same too:
http://www.4wd.com/jeep-parts.aspx?plID=10871
post #20 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Wheeler

My 07 rubi unlimited also has the half doors and I love them. They seal up pretty well and do not leak in driving rain storms, but do leak a little in the front sometimes when sitting in the rain. It is great to just take off the top half of the doors and rear window and take a drive. It's a jeep and I would not want hard doors/top. (also not my daily driver)
post #21 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

JEEBUS!!!

2385.96 for all four doors and uppers from rugged ridge.

Even MOPAR doesn't charge that much, and their doors are metal!

post #22 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Wheeler

Where are you seeing the price for the MOPAR doors at? I've been looking into half doors for my 07 rubi unlimited and I might as well spend the money now while I'm getting all this deployment money.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnit View Post
Where are you seeing the price for the MOPAR doors at? I've been looking into half doors for my 07 rubi unlimited and I might as well spend the money now while I'm getting all this deployment money.
Can't take credit for actually finding this link, Someone else on another JKO thread (can't remember which thread) posted it and got me excited enough to bookmark. $2186.15

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/jeep...bpkjk4drb.html

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #24 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
Can't take credit for actually finding this link, Someone else on another JKO thread (can't remember which thread) posted it and got me excited enough to bookmark. $2186.15

http://www.moparsupercenter.com/jeep...bpkjk4drb.html
That's without the windows so have to addd those in if you require them.

Btw noticed that Quadratec is now also offering the "split" half door windows that are on Export vehicles. Wonder why those where different from the NA versions?
post #25 of 28 Old 02-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
+1 more that wishes for half doors, but I wouldn't give up my fulls.
X2. I would rather have full and buy after market if I lived in MI. I am from WI and would not want to deal with the plastic windows in the winter. They are OK but when they are frozen and you can't scrap them you will wish you had full doors. Just my .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode