Sway bar disconect? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sway bar disconect?

I have a 08' 2 door x. have the oppertunity to get a electronic disconnect from a 09' Rubi, it this an esay switch. I understand I'll need switches etc!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 AM
JKO Addict!

You will need the harness, the sway bar, the switches, to install everything and then have the dealer flash your computer. Very few people go this route unless they are simply replacing a failed smartbar, it is generally more expensive than going with an aftermarket system (that is arguably better).

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-17-2011, 11:42 AM
JKO Addict!

I'd look for a mechanical disconnect before that. If you search my previous started threads I looked at my options for one. (not a link disconnect, a turn the knob disconnect)

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would opt for a Currie setup before going to a Rubi setup IMHO.

Rock Krawler, Poison Spyder, Rigid Industries, Currie and more.

OR CALL 813.361.0869

post #5 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 02:14 PM

that smartbar on the rubi is junk.. im turning mine in to a cable operated
post #6 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsoffroad View Post
I would opt for a Currie setup before going to a Rubi setup IMHO.
^^^^^^^^^ this.

Get a Currie, call it a day. IMHO.

I did and have not regretted it one moment.....

post #7 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Granite Guru

I have never heard a good thing about the stock system that comes on Rubis. Its one of those options that would have been better left off the build sheet form the factory and added at owners request. I understand the need to keep up with some other manufactures but a real wheeler can get out and pull pins and tie it up. If you go in water it gets wet and if you go on rocks it gets hit. Good idea but not practical when you think about it. I think I know (1) JK rubi guy that still uses his factory one.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

If u decide to go this route I saw a bunch of the wirin harness's in scratch and dent at 4wd in columbiana pm bustabizz that's his home store

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #9 of 23 Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hemo

There i no question that a Currie is a good move but there is also another excellent product and that is the SwayLOC. It is the original dual rate anti-swaybar for Wrangler’s. The SwayLOC anti-sway bar system improves balance and control, and it does that while providing full articulation during off-road use. The best thing is that it delivers near OEM on-road ride quality and you don't have to mess with disconnect links. You can get it with an air operated remote controlled latching mechanism or the new “Flip-a-Lever” simple manually controlled latch. I have the electronic sway bar on my Rubi and the first time it goes awry I will be adding the SwayLOC. I do have the Currie Aluminum unit in the rear of my JK.

2008 Rubi Unltd • RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers • PolyPerf HD Ball Joints • Reid Hi Steer Knuckles • RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm • Rebel F & R Coil Overs • sPod Mini • Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing • Xenon Flat Flares • ORO Onboard Air • BD Dual Battery • 5.13 Gears • 35" BFG KM2s • Warn VR12000 Winch • Safari Straps Everything • Tuffy Security Drawer •

Last edited by Hemo; 05-11-2011 at 07:16 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemo View Post
There i no question that a Currie is a good move but there is also another excellent product and that is the SwayLOC. It is the original dual rate anti-swaybar for Wrangler’s. The SwayLOC anti-sway bar system improves balance and control, and it does that while providing full articulation during off-road use. The best thing is that it delivers near OEM on-road ride quality and you don't have to mess with disconnect links. You can get it with an air operated remote controlled latching mechanism or the new “Flip-a-Lever” simple manually controlled latch. I have the electronic sway bar on my Rubi and the first time it goes awry I will be adding the SwayLOC. I do have the Currie Aluminum unit in the rear of my JK.

Sorry I Totally disagree. Ive had the Pneumatic SwayLoc for 1.5yrs, it has failed me on many occasions, i have spent countless hours fixing maintaining and modifying it to work properly but it still plays up. Last week was the last straw when a swaybar link mount bent on me!
I know of a few guys in Aus (4 of us), we all bought ORO SwayLoc, i held onto mine the longest, the other blokes have all ditched there’s.
I just ordered a Rubi E-Disco, if it plays up i’ll put the bypass switch in like Venom has done.
Something we have to put up with in Australia is Roadworthy cars (in USA you guys get away with a lot with modifying your Jeeps, we are jealous!) for Legalities and Insurance etc, the ORO inst road legal, the Mopar Bar is, thats the main reason im getting it.

Last edited by OZJEEP; 05-23-2011 at 12:22 AM.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Rock God

Just something to keep in mind, if ya get really flexy with the e disco you can still thrash a link. My personal opinion... Just use a regular old manual disconnect link, zip tie it to the swaybar and ya don't have to worry about it.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #12 of 23 Old 05-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have the oro manually sway loc, didn't wanna mess with the air actuated one figured it would fail
Ive had no isues with it and it's awesome on and offroad
My rubi edisco shit the bed

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #13 of 23 Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 PM
JKO Addict!

As stated earlier, I wouldnt want to install a rubi e-disco unless I was replacing a broken one.

Now, I picked up my Rubi in Nov 08 as an 09 model, I wheel hard and often and my edisco is still working. I had one issue with it once on the Rubicon trail near the springs. It was a simple fix and I have had no other issues. I for one think they are plenty reliable, then again I put the obstacles under my tires not my bumper. I am also still running the stock axle shafts and lockers on 37"s with no failures. Pick a good line, and take it easy on the skinny pedal and you will be fine.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM
JKO Addict!

They fill up with water and crap out, went back to a one piece bar with discos, got the old one on the bench, make me an offer.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #15 of 23 Old 05-23-2011, 04:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Most of the Rubi owners in my club have done away with the system, its more trouble than its worth it you wheel hard, and disappoints you at the worst time.

I highly recommend the Poly discos. They are cheap, easy to install, nothing to break or malfunction, give you full potential flex, lets you keep your factory handling on the street, and do not rub big tires like other manual disco kits do.

I am not a fan of the Antirocks. Just from personal experience, I get much better trail and street performance on my 2 rigs with the factory sway bar and manual discos. The extra 3" of flex were more important to me on the trail, and the factory sway bar keeps the jeep tight in turns on the street.

And it takes less than a minute to manually disco, I'm not that lazy
post #16 of 23 Old 05-23-2011, 04:50 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Yeah.... unhappy Currie and Rubi disco motor owner. The motor is too prone to breakage on the treadmill and like DD said.... three or four inches of lost travel sucks.

I will be drilling out my anti rocks and putting a pin when the nut used to go. I'll disconnect on most trails.
post #17 of 23 Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
Just something to keep in mind, if ya get really flexy with the e disco you can still thrash a link. My personal opinion... Just use a regular old manual disconnect link, zip tie it to the swaybar and ya don't have to worry about it.
I can attest to that.

From Saturday.

Marc

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

post #18 of 23 Old 05-24-2011, 03:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Dam Egg that didnt last long, trying that lift out a little hard.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #19 of 23 Old 05-24-2011, 11:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwhite93 View Post
I can attest to that.

From Saturday.

That's exactly what I was referring to thanx for posting that up. I was on tapatalk and couldn't link to the other thread easily, what can I say I'm lazy.

2008 Detonator 2Dr. 6 Sp.
Olympic double tube sliders I Rugged Ridge front XHD I Smittybilt XRC 8 I Ef's pod I Chopped flares I Rock krawler 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100s I 35" Dick Cepek Crushers

Jersey

Crew
post #20 of 23 Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

man Marc - you tweaked it!

I like the idea of the push button disconnect but based on my experience it will eventually die on you if you do water crossings. I think for moderate dry wheeling it would be fine.

I went with Currie as a replacement.
post #21 of 23 Old 05-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Wheeler

We all have our different experiences with equipment, i just wanted to give the Rubi Disco a try as most people don’t have a problem with them.
We shall see.

ps, I hate reconnecting links after wheeling in the mud as its a messy job, so yep i like the convenience of push button control, Guess Im Lazy
post #22 of 23 Old 05-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

I bent a link with my smartbar disconnected also. Quick disconnects were on my list for rougher trails to avoid that, but after I took the link off, I kept unseating the coilspring. So my list has grown: drill and add disconnect pins, and add limit straps.
The e disco is awesome for average trails, poly has a 10 dollar bolt to spin it up out of harms way.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-27-2011, 06:43 AM
JKO Addict!

I added a Poly disconnect set to my Rubi's setup. I only use the push button for time when it's not convenient or possible to unhook the links. Every club member seems to have trashed his Rubi's electric disconnect, so I'm assuming mine will be toast in due time. Local stealers want $800+ to replace the POS, so a nice Tera or other manual bar is well worth looking into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode