Half-door assembly - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Half-door assembly

About to assemble a set of mopar half-doors

Just wondering if anyone has any helpful tricks that they may have picked up while assembling their half-doors, or anything else I should know before I get started.

Also, regarding the painting of the doors: Are half-doors typically painted before or after assembly? I feel like this is a stupid question, but I just have no idea. If I end up not being able to afford to get these painted right away, will I damage the doors by running them unpainted?

2010 Natural Green Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Granite Guru

Do not assemble the doors and run them unpainted it will be a hassle when you decided to get them painted and potentially cost more depending on prep. I asked the same question when I had mine done and the bodyshop wanted them not messed with.
I had mine painted and assembled last year for $700 and the best and correct way is to bring them to a body shop and have them spray where the hinges go front and back and then bring your jeep in and have them align the doors and then finish painting everything that way your hinges will be coated front and back to avoid the corrosion issues with the hinges and your doors will be in perfect alignment and it will be a no hassle switch from full to half doors.
Also if you have or want keyless entry to work you need to buy the full door latches and wiring harness. the only thing that comes with the kit is the wiring for dome light and radio shutoff. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited by PmedicJ; 02-16-2011 at 12:05 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 PM
JKO Addict!

I've had mine for over a year now, and there still not painted, my jeeps black, so it doesn't look bad.

JKUS Sort of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Do NOT assemble these doors. They are incredibly dangerous in their unpainted form. Instead, you must immediately send them to the HALF DOOR DISPOSAL UNIT located at my house

post #5 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmedicJ View Post
Do not assemble the doors and run them unpainted it will be a hassle when you decided to get them painted and potentially cost more depending on prep. I asked the same question when I had mine done and the bodyshop wanted them not messed with.
I had mine painted and assembled last year for $700 and the best and correct way is to bring them to a body shop and have them spray where the hinges go front and back and then bring your jeep in and have them align the doors and then finish painting everything that way your hinges will be coated front and back to avoid the corrosion issues with the hinges and your doors will be in perfect alignment and it will be a no hassle switch from full to half doors.
Also if you have or want keyless entry to work you need to buy the full door latches and wiring harness. the only thing that comes with the kit is the wiring for dome light and radio shutoff. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Awesome; thanks very much for the insight. So far I have been quoted $650-700 just to paint the door shells (no assembly)... Is that fair pricing?
So the electrical harness that came with my half-door kit will NOT allow me to use the remote door locks, correct?
Also, did you have the door locks matched to your keys or do you just rely on the remote or manual operation to lock/unlock? Thanks again

post #6 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Do NOT assemble these doors. They are incredibly dangerous in their unpainted form. Instead, you must immediately send them to the HALF DOOR DISPOSAL UNIT located at my house
Good thing you caught me, Dan; I was about to get after it.

I will comply with EPA regulations and get these to the HDDU immediately. Thank you for the heads-up, Dan

Last edited by Hound1; 02-16-2011 at 12:57 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound1 View Post
Good thing you caught me, Dan; I was about to get after it.

I will comply with EPA regulations and get these to the HDDU immediately. Thank you for the heads-up, Dan
A disaster has been averted, and a town has been saved.
Thank God.

Stupid poverty not letting me afford stupid new factory half doors... mumble grumble rassa frassa such and so

post #8 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 PM
JKO Addict!

x however many on the don't assemble before paint.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Granite Guru

I bought my doors through the dealer and they pinned out the locks for my keys, It's not that hard to do but can be a pain. I figured since I spent so much on the whole kit they could pin them out.
You are correct, in order to have the keyless entry you need to order the full door latches and wiring harness. I replaced mine a couple of weeks after I had them and realized I could not make the keyless entry work with the supplied locks and harness, Piece of cake to install it bolts and plugs right in to the half doors.
thats not a bad price for painting, the assembly is not that bad but it would be better if you could squeeze the assembly out of them.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Granite Guru

You guys should post some before and after pics. Would like to see you're work in progress on the half-doors.

07 JKU Rescue Green with 3.5" RK Mid-Arm Flex w/ Bilstein 5100s, 5.13's, Eaton E-Locker, 35" MT Baja ATZ, 17" DC Torque wheels, Monstalined tub, Home-made front bumper with Smittybilt XRC-8 winch, Wild Boar rack w/ IPF 968 lights, K&N Intake, Gibson Exhaust.
Future Mods: 2wd-4wd conversion = completed!
post #11 of 15 Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I will definitely take some pictures when I get around to getting the doors painted and assembled. Thanks for all the feeback, guys

post #12 of 15 Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Wheeler

I had my half doors sprayed with bedliner. Was a fraction of the cost of paint, and I don't have to worry about scratches on the trail (or from mailboxes).

'08 Wrangler X
Jeep Green
U Package
3" Full Traction Premium Plus
35" KM2's
16x8 Black Steel Wheels
Rock Hard front stubby
Rock Slide Engineering rear w/tire carrier
Smittybilt XRC8000 winch
1 watt LED strobe kit
other odds and ends...
post #13 of 15 Old 02-17-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Postal View Post
I had my half doors sprayed with bedliner. Was a fraction of the cost of paint, and I don't have to worry about scratches on the trail (or from mailboxes).
I had considered going that route, but didn't think it would be that substantial of a savings. Did you go professional (i.e. Linex, Rhino Lining) or did you do it yourself?

post #14 of 15 Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Wheeler

Had it done professionally. I paid about $50 per door, but they gave me a discount because they had just sprayed a trailer for me.

'08 Wrangler X
Jeep Green
U Package
3" Full Traction Premium Plus
35" KM2's
16x8 Black Steel Wheels
Rock Hard front stubby
Rock Slide Engineering rear w/tire carrier
Smittybilt XRC8000 winch
1 watt LED strobe kit
other odds and ends...
post #15 of 15 Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin' Postal View Post
Had it done professionally. I paid about $50 per door, but they gave me a discount because they had just sprayed a trailer for me.
Wow that is a lot cheaper than the quotes I have received so far for color matching the doors... this is a very interesting option, thanks for chiming in

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode