doors getting stuck - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

doors getting stuck

Ok so here is a question for those who run with the doors off. First I love running with the doors off and top down. Nothing beats it, well almost nothing. But I am having a problem that the doors are getting stuck in the hinges. No matter how hard I shake back and forth or how much I lift up, I always end up having to wedge a flathead and a small hammer to seperate the upper and lower hinge. Anyone got any ideas to make it easier? I have used lith grease, axle grease, PB blaster, WD40, liquid wrench and all the same. its starting to get very annoying. Please help me remove my doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Rock God

make sure you are pulling perfectly straight up, if im off side to side any it wont budge.
post #3 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 AM
Granite Guru

Also - make sure the door is at a 90 degree angle to the body - then straight up...

2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod Lift : Bilstein 5100's Front & Back : Rock Krawler Discos : 35X12.5X17 Goodyear MTR/K's : 2" Rock Krawler Stackable Bumpstops F/R : ProComp 7089's 17x9 4.75BS : Poison Spyder Evap Skid : Poison Spyder Brawler Lite : Spiderwebshade - Trailmesh : Recon 10,500lb Winch : Olympic Rock Sliders : Hella Black Magic Lights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

i've run into this LOTS of times, especially after winter or on older rigs (07/08's) that have never had the doors off

usually i put on a leather glove, and fold up some cardboard for under my hand. then i do the "back of the hand on the thigh" technique.

you basically sit in the door jam of the jeep. brace your leg under the door (this doesn't work with very lifted jeeps). put your hand palm up just above your knee on your thigh, holding the folded carboard. you're going to be lifting up on the bottom of the door as close to the curve that's under the hinges as possible.

the weight of your body sitting in the door jam holds the jeep down, then you lift up with your foot (using your calf muscle) and wiggle the door quickly back and forth. i mean QUICKLY only a few degrees. it's a BITCH and takes forever, but it's the only way i've found that works.

once the door is out hit the door pins with sand paper (i used a sanding belt and went to town on mine) and then follow up with some anti-sieze.

it sucks, it took me an hour and a half to get both my doors off the 2 door. once you go at them with the sand paper they'll always slip right off and on though.

good luck!

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #5 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 07:33 AM
Granite Guru

I have an 07 and mine are hell to get off even after anti sieze etc. Its a pain in the ass to do especially if your alone but I have a 3' piece of 2x4 that I wedge under the door and on top of the sliders/steps then very gently push up on the 2x4 and they pop right out. If you dont have someone holding the door for you while doing this then take it slow cuz they will pop out and be on the ground before you get a chance to catch them. Ask how I know But I can have my doors off in about 5 minutes
post #6 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 07:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^good ideas 2k2. So far I've been able to grab mine and lift using a similar wiggle technique. The winters obviously are not as hard on them here.

I read where one guy used a 2x4 as a lever with the end in the door jam. Just stood outside with a rag between the bottom of the door and the 2x and gently lift up kind basically like your thigh deal.

EDIT> Oh haha there you are jonas, never mind.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 02-16-2011 at 07:38 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 07:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbejonas View Post
I have an 07 and mine are hell to get off even after anti sieze etc. Its a pain in the ass to do especially if your alone but I have a 3' piece of 2x4 that I wedge under the door and on top of the sliders/steps then very gently push up on the 2x4 and they pop right out. If you dont have someone holding the door for you while doing this then take it slow cuz they will pop out and be on the ground before you get a chance to catch them. Ask how I know But I can have my doors off in about 5 minutes
you need to sand down the pins then. i don't mean lightly either lol. i went crazy on mine and they slide right on and off now. HUGE improvement. no wiggling required at all.

post #8 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I was thinking of the sanding part. Mine is a 08 lifted with 35's, so the doors aren't exactly low. the 2x4 is also another good idea. I have to hit the hinges with paint anyway.
post #9 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

Careful not to bend the the pins or hinges. They are made out of pot metal very delicate. A little white lithium grease before putting the doors back in usually keeps them from sticking. Just make sure you put the limit strap or you will get the side mirror tattooed into your hood
post #10 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjk View Post
I was thinking of the sanding part. Mine is a 08 lifted with 35's, so the doors aren't exactly low. the 2x4 is also another good idea. I have to hit the hinges with paint anyway.
i wouldn't paint the pins after you sand them. They're pot metal and they're bare anyway. i'd just hit em with antisieze after you sand em.

i used a 150 grit sanding belt and it was real quick and easy. Just hooked it behind the pin and went back and forth.

post #11 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

There's a thread here somewhere... seems graphite works well with the composite bushings.

Dumb question Ryan, you use the blackish or copper impregnated? I have both.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
There's a thread here somewhere... seems graphite works well with the composite bushings.
It really does- and the graphite "coats" the bushings without attracting dirt, dust, sand......unlike liquid lubricants can.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #13 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 12:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinJBurt

I have a thread on it! But you or someone is going to have to get it from my threads because I'm on my phone right now. It will show you what to do when your doors are really stuck! It's called Rear doors are stuck. I can't figure out how to do it with my phone. Sorry.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Always forward never straight sometimes upside-down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
I love the cock so much that even my avatar is just a pile of hot meat.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 12:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJBurt View Post
I have a thread on it! But you or someone is going to have to get it from my threads because I'm on my phone right now. It will show you what to do when your doors are really stuck! It's called Rear doors are stuck. I can't figure out how to do it with my phone. Sorry.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34341

Quote:
post #15 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks gk!

Quote:
post #16 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Rock God

Just stop using them

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #17 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Banned

Wait, are these half doors? If so, send em to me, I have a never fail fix for them...

post #18 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^^What... put them on your rig? ^^
Lol

Quote:
post #19 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

By the way a really easy way to take them off is to roll down the window, open the door about 90 degrees, and while standing on the "outside" of the door, stick one arm through the window and grab the inside handle. Place the other hand under the side view mirror. Push straight up. This gives you the perfect leverage and also makes it easy to carry.

2DR '07 Rubicon 6 Spd, Jeep Green

Taller, heavier, slower, dirtier ... BETTER
post #20 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Use a highlift jack with a piece of rubber on it.

Doors come off easy.

Rest In Peace Guinness. You will never be forgotten. My brother and my best friend
post #21 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

I give my pins a good sanding every once and a while. But they are allways a pain to get off the first time each year. But I took them off this week end they won't go back on untill next winter

Steel Blue 07 2dr
"Its the A.M bitches, its time for donuts!"
Jersey
Crew
post #22 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

I also use a 2x4 (or 2x2) very gently with some cardboard or a rag underneath (whatever's laying around) the first time in the spring. I use some grease on the pins and they're usually pretty easy to get off the rest of the summer.
post #23 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I wasn't saying to paint the pin, but my hinges are rusted severly. and my using a flathead screwdriver with a hammer to pry the pin out has not helped.

I wish I had half doors. I know about the rolling the window down and lifting, but when the bottum of the window is equal with your chest (yes I am short) its hard to get leverage.
post #24 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The first time I took mine off I had this problem. I use some white lithium grease on the pins and have not had any issues since. I use the gel kind in a tube from NAPA.

09 BLACK Sahara 4 Door - Auto, G2 4.88s
TF 2.5" Coil Lift w/shocks, TF Frnt Adj Trac, TF FLCA, JKS Discos, JKS Rear Adj Trac, LOD Full Rear GEN2,
A.C.E. Rock Rails, Viper TB: Check the Garage for more.
post #25 of 27 Old 02-16-2011, 06:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Use a highlift jack with a piece of rubber on it.

Doors come off easy.
How thick is the piece of rubber you use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoridinTX View Post
The first time I took mine off I had this problem. I use some white lithium grease on the pins and have not had any issues since. I use the gel kind in a tube from NAPA.
Thanks for sharing, I have been using this garage door lubercant that I can't find anymore. I'm going to give this stuff a try.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode