Rust/Drive shaft making noises - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rust/Drive shaft making noises

So i have a 2010 2dr jeep wrangler manual transmission... i took the top off the other day cause it finally warmed up in idaho. When i backed out of the driveway and pulled out of my subdivision i could here my driveshaft making noises everytime it rotated... but after five minutes it stopped... i only have 6000 miles on it and its only mods are 35" and a 4inch lift. is this normal? And my differential cover and drive shaft are covered in rust.. and can that cause me problems? thanks for the help!

United States Air Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Granite Guru

Get under it and see if the cv boots on the driveshafts are throwing grease. Sounds likevit is time for new ones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
A few mods here and there
post #3 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLankford44 View Post
So i have a 2010 2dr jeep wrangler manual transmission... i took the top off the other day cause it finally warmed up in idaho. When i backed out of the driveway and pulled out of my subdivision i could here my driveshaft making noises everytime it rotated... but after five minutes it stopped... i only have 6000 miles on it and its only mods are 35" and a 4inch lift. is this normal? And my differential cover and drive shaft are covered in rust.. and can that cause me problems? thanks for the help!
will your rear drivshaft could be going from the lift anything over 3in and they should be done since it just a matter of time....but since its a 2dr its usually the front first...as for rust we would need a pic since they all turn a brownish color within days...ive even seen ones on the lot that were brown..
most of the time its just mud/dirt discolor of the steel...give it a good wash/spray on the undercarriage and get some diff covers and ditch the factory junk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites

Last edited by nootherride; 02-15-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

well the guys at superlift knew about the problems with lifts on jks above 3 inches and said they set the angles on the lift to where i wouldnt have any problems... and the lift has only been on there for 2000 miles.. and yeah i want a new diff color and i guess the driveshaft isnt to bad.

United States Air Force
post #5 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgkjeep View Post
Get under it and see if the cv boots on the driveshafts are throwing grease. Sounds likevit is time for new ones.

x2 if theres grease there going...i netted about 3.25 and when i dissconnect
my front is going...but i have an auto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #6 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

so your suggestion is getting new cv boots and whatelse?

United States Air Force
post #7 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
well the guys at superlift knew about the problems with lifts on jks above 3 inches and said they set the angles on the lift to where i wouldnt have any problems... and the lift has only been on there for 2000 miles.. and yeah i want a new diff color and i guess the driveshaft isnt to bad.

Thats what id call "Tall talk" alot of kits say you wont have a problem but the truth is with all the twist weigh factors ect that come into play The stock shafts are fat pigs and take up to much space....check out je.reel shafts if you are in the market.

post #8 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Granite Guru

Realistically you need a new driveshaft that is the proper length for your application.

post #9 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
Granite Guru

Doesn't matter what the guys at sl said the angle at the transfer case is bad for them.

Not boots. New driveshaft. Tom Woods, Coast, JE Reel are good. I think Tatton is to.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
post #10 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

so how do you go about finding out the proper length for a new driveshaft? and would getting a new aftermarket driveshaft void my warranty? how much do aftermarket driveshafts run price wise?

United States Air Force
post #11 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
so how do you go about finding out the proper length for a new driveshaft? and would getting a new aftermarket driveshaft void my warranty? how much do aftermarket driveshafts run price wise?
You kissed the warranty goodbye with the lift (non mopar) and 35's
you need an exact measurment of the driveshaft length
apox 450-550 each id do both shafts tho

post #12 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

well the dealership sold me the jeep with 35s on it brand new. and i was forced to put a lift on it because the tires were rubbing really bad.. unfortuanatley i dont have a whole lot of money to spend.. how much would it cost to replace both drive shaft or is there another solution or temporary fix?

United States Air Force
post #13 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
well the dealership sold me the jeep with 35s on it brand new. and i was forced to put a lift on it because the tires were rubbing really bad.. unfortuanatley i dont have a whole lot of money to spend.. how much would it cost to replace both drive shaft or is there another solution or temporary fix?
im assuming you bought it used then? NEVER heard of a new one with 35's

both shaft between 800-1000

no temp fixes i know of....other than step down in lift and go flat fenders but that might cost you as much as shafts...so id go with new ones...trust me i was in this same pickle

post #14 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yeah they sold me a brand new 2010 with 0 miles on it with 35" mickey thompson bajas i guess they had them put on to help sale the vehicle.. and well i guess i know what taxes will be for.. lol how long do i have to replace them before something goes terribly wrong.. what actually could go wrong?

United States Air Force
post #15 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

and im wondering if they would pay for the upgrade because of the problem the bigger tires are causing

United States Air Force
post #16 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

and did the new knew driveshafts solve the problem permanently? sorry i ask to many questions..

United States Air Force
post #17 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Granite Guru

You bought a new, from the dealer JK with 35" tires, a lift, and stock drive shafts?

I would definitely do your research, take the documentation back to them and make them fix it.

post #18 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

i bought it with 35s and later i added the lift because the tires were rubbing bad... i asked about the dealership fixing the rubbing issue but they refused and said i was already buying the jeep for a low price(complete Bullshit) so i guess im screwed.

United States Air Force
post #19 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Rock God

Check out the vendor forum. We can get you a good deal on the Tatton Driveshafts. No need to measure, just give the rep the size lift you have and Tatton's has the measurements on what you need.

If you have "x" amount of lift and your driveshaft doesn't have enough travel it can cause all kinds of issues. Worst case is it goes while going down the highway and takes out either your transmission or transfer case.
post #20 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckbrew View Post
You bought a new, from the dealer JK with 35" tires, a lift, and stock drive shafts?

I would definitely do your research, take the documentation back to them and make them fix it.
x2 ouch i would of been crazy scepticle of 35's on a stock jk....bait

ya i might see what they say but you run the risk of them flagging it with chrysler over the lift....as for the 35's they might make you prove the tires are the factor....but due to the fact they sold it that way its hard to say if they will just make good on it or you would need to escalate the situation (ie lawyer) ahh man this is complicated as for time on the shafts thats hard to say mine went 1k after the lift some get 20k some dontget out of the driveway..in otherwords its hard to say...

post #21 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepaddons-chris View Post
Check out the vendor forum. We can get you a good deal on the Tatton Driveshafts. No need to measure, just give the rep the size lift you have and Tatton's has the measurements on what you need.

If you have "x" amount of lift and your driveshaft doesn't have enough travel it can cause all kinds of issues. Worst case is it goes while going down the highway and takes out either your transmission or transfer case.

yikes way to scare the guy mine went out at about 5 to 10 mph in a parking lot....

post #22 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Rock God

Mine is coming from personal experience after a lift and 8.8 swap on my YJ going down the road at 55 mph and it took out my transfer case. Doh!
post #23 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Granite Guru

I say no. Even if you have to bombard them with leters and e-mail.

Continue to contact the Chrysler resoluition center and let them know what you were sold, and how it's UNSAT.

post #24 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Warranty is long gone already. Tom Woods' site has details on how to measure.

2007 Rescue Green 2-door
post #25 of 46 Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM
JKO Addict!

might follow this....https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45926

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode