Air Compressors - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Air Compressors

Looking for some direction on buying an air compressor. Don't have a ton of $$ to spend...prolly less than $200. Gonna go electric and something small as I don't have a ton of room.
Looking for something for basic compressor work...filling tires and some light tool work mostly.
Since I've never bought or owned one was wondering what sort of spec's I should be looking for.

Here's a couple from The Depot I was looking at:
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

Thanks much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would get one that has the biggest tank. Also depending on what type of air tools your going to be using. Try to match up the cfm of the tools to what the compressor can handle. Having the larger tank also helps.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Wheeler

What kind of tools do you plan on using? that is going to be the most important part of choosing a compressor. If you are just airing up tires, anything will be fine, but if you want to use an air chissle or impact gun, you will need something more substantial.

I'd say check out craigslist. I got a 20 gallon compressor on there for $100 and it does almost everything I want. I can run a gun and chissle in short bursts (a couple minutes) before it needs to recharge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks much...I really appreciate your input.
Guess I need to first figure out what it is I'm really gonna be using it for in order to decide.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've been impressed with Smittybilt's dually air compressor, approx $160 from 4wd.com (http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=14194) plenty of enough ummph for inflating 35" tires.

Pls VOTE for kid's Lego Jeep JK @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35s on 7105 17x9, 2.5" TF coil lift, AEV snorkel, Warrior steel Fenders, Lightforce spots, Rigid 12" Lightbar in hood scoop, Skids & side Armor, Katzkin Leather, Ravelco, Duster, Trunk Lockbox & Cargo Tray. >> FRONT Olympic Rock + Stinger + Ares winch plate + Warn 9.5. >> REAR Expedition One carrier + 53" Hi-Lift.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-15-2011, 01:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwest View Post
I've been impressed with Smittybilt's dually air compressor, approx $160 from 4wd.com (http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=14194) plenty of enough ummph for inflating 35" tires.
That's a rebadged Q Industries Q-89G compressor. Not a bad compressor at all, especially for the price (we sell them for around $121). However, it's not got enough output to run air tools. Easy enough to turn into an on board air package as well.

Ditto x2 on Spartan's suggestion on a used compressor off CL for your garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode