My continuing saga with Jeep service. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

My continuing saga with Jeep service.

This is a venting post, so be warned. I will also say, I love my Jeep for a lot of reasons, and if I did not, it would have been sold off a long time ago.

This is all in reference to my 2008 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited.

I have had a minor problem that I figured I would deal with next time I HAD to go to a dealer for a recall or something. I am an aircraft mechanic (A&P) and have also worked in automotive, got really good tools, and a place to work, so I do not take the Jeep in for services and repair, I do it myself. The times I did take it in to the dealer because it was under warranty, they usually screw it up, more on that later.
The problem I had been having is that when I put the key in, all the dash lights flash before I even turn the key. Sometimes it will not start after that until I pull the key and lock and unlock the doors. A few weeks ago I parked the Jeep in my carport in 4 LOW. I had been moving my trailer around in the snow, and 4 LOW is the only way I can back it into it's space on my snow and ice covered gravel driveway. The next morning I went out to the Jeep, unlocked it and decided to stick the key in the ignition so I didn't lose it while I unloaded stuff from the back and went and got some more coffee for the road, and my dog. NOTE: I did not turn the key, I just stuck it in the ignition.
About 1.5 seconds (it seems) after I stuck the key in, the starter engaged and the Jeep jumped forward and through the back wall of my carport. once it went through the carport, there is a 25 foot cliff down to the neighbors yard. My foot was hung up on the seat and I was drug through the wall. A witness said it seemed to stop for a second and then continued to slide down the cliff and into a POS Chevy S10 and a few trees.
I was lucky and came out of it with a sore body and sprained ankle. The Jeep has about 10K in damage that is covered by my insurance.
Jeep sent out an engineer to meet me at the dealer. He was from a 3rd party firm contracted by Jeep. He says he found nothing wrong even though the problem still happens. I am not after Jeep to pay for the repairs to the carport, my ankle, or the damage on the Jeep, my insurance company can go after them if they want, that what I pay them for. All I want is the problem that caused this to happen in the first place resolved. Not only did they send me a letter saying they wont fix it, the dealer won't touch it because it went through the Jeep investigation and claim department. So, now I am screwed even if I wanted to pay to get it fixed. Yes, I work on my own stuff, but there is very little I can do to troubleshoot and repair an ECU issue on a modern car without having dealer only diagnostics and parts. I worked for Ducati motorcycles and have seen, and fixed issues with ECU's doing weird stuff many times, and if you are not a dealer, you can not do it.

This is not the first messed up thing with this Jeep either. Here is a list of what I have dealt with since October 2008 and 42K miles:

Top leaked all over dash. Water in top froze, expanded, cracked top. Took 3 dealer visits over 4 weeks in the middle of winter to get it fixed.

Started popping out of gear. Was accused by dealer of installing a body lift. Pointed out it was bone stock. Took them 2 days to decide if it was indeed stock, at which time they butchered my inner shift boot stating "you need to modify the shift boot on lifted Jeeps" Still popped out of gear, and still wasn't lifted.
Finally got them to replace transmission at 6000 miles. Instead they "rebuilt it" Went to visit the Jeep and saw transmission apart in a pile of dirt. I rebuild engines a lot, like 10 or 15 a year, thats not how it is done.
Picked up Jeep, was hard to shift to first, harder into 2nd, wouldn't go into 3rd at all. Turned around and went back to dealer but in the 15 minutes I was gone, they had went home. Sales department wouldn't loan me a vehicle, so I walked home 5 miles in the snow.
Found out they knew they didn't rebuild the trans right, and had ordered a new one to be shipped overnight. I have no idea why they called me and told me to come pick my Jeep up.
7500 miles, noticed a very loud clacking from clutch when in neutral, clutch out, went away with clutch in. My thought was throwout or pilot bearing. It took several phone calls to Jeep to get the dealer to look into it. Turns out the buggered to clutch putting it back in when they did the trans.
When I got the Jeep back I looked under it and found they had left out most of the bolt on the bell housing. This was so awesome to find a day before leaving for a 6000 mile road trip into the boonies. Put off the trip for 2 days while I checked it over and got some local miles on it.
30K miles, went to change transfer case and transmission oil. Found that they cross threaded all the cross member bolts, and rounded the heads of a couple of them. Got to love those 1/2 impact wrenches, I wonder if that how they put spark plugs in too?

I have also had bad ball joints, and exploded steering stabilizer, 2 leaking shocks, a bad battery, and a bad water pump.

Yep, a quality product. My friends and family think my wife and I a idiots for keeping this Jeep. Even my father inlaw who still has his 1989 Cherokee with every option including lockers, factory grill guard, and leather, with 180K miles on it, but it looks like it just rolled out of a show room, thinks we're are nuts for keeping it. I bought this Rubicon with the intention of keeping it forever like my father inlaw did with his.
I take it on forest roads and I am not afraid to use it like it was meant to be used, but I polish out the brush scratches, I wash the mud off the bottom, and I maintain the hell out of it. I sold 3 other vehicles, including a bike I really liked to put more than 50% down on it. I now almost have it paid off, but am not happy that I may own a total POS outright.

All I want Jeep to do is fix my ECU, possibly replace the ignition switch (it has like 3/8" of play in the lock cylinder) and stand by the lifetime warranty I got when I bought the damn thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM
JKO Addict!

it's time to call a lawyer man

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
X2 L-E-M-O-N

Holy chit, man; what a horror story... Hope things turn around for you

2010 Natural Green Rubicon
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Wow. You have far more patience than I do. I would have had a photo of my trans pieces laying in the dirt and the rounded off bolts at an attorney's office the next day!

post #5 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Coonasian

Garage

Yep, I'd consult an attorney. It would really be good to document all of this crap you can with pictures. I hate dealers. Sad to say, it is VERY hard to drop your Jeep off and TRUST them. I hope you get it sorted and are finally happy with your JK again.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound1 View Post
X2 L-E-M-O-N

Holy chit, man; what a horror story... Hope things turn around for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Wow. You have far more patience than I do. I would have had a photo of my trans pieces laying in the dirt and the rounded off bolts at an attorney's office the next day!
Called a couple lawyers. I could have done lemon law but I would have lost way more than I would have gained. If you own more than half of your vehicle, you will lose about 25% of its value, plus lawyer fees in a lemon law case.
I called a lawyer when it jumped off the cliff, got the typical response, if no one died, or was injured beyond repair, going against Chrysler would cost way way way more than the case is worth. For a retainer of $10K they would look into it, but no promises. Lawyers suck ass, generally. I sure there are good ones, but I have yet to come across one. My only hope is to be a thorn is Jeeps side and hope they fix the problem before someone not familiar with my Jeep drives it and accidentally kills a family of 5 walking home from church all carrying puppies and new born babies.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Granite Guru

I would go park my jeep pointed at their show room and tell the service guy hey sit in here put the key in and out and see what happens. let it launch into their showroom
post #8 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 02:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yank the Chrysler electrics out and transplant an LS3 in there.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblustang90 View Post
I would go park my jeep pointed at their show room and tell the service guy hey sit in here put the key in and out and see what happens. let it launch into their showroom
Thats the best idea I have heard yet. Except I would probably get sued for driving a broken Jeep to their service department.

Once I had a between real jobs job at a crappy all brands auto repair place. I got a repair order to work on a light blue Honda civic with a leaking brake line. No license number on the RO, had they key clipped in the clip board. So I go out to the lot, drive in the Honda, and see that it has a seeping brake line, no problem, I replace it. Just as I am done, a lady comes up and asks what the hell I am doing with her car. I tell her, and she says she was shopping at the mall (like 50 yards away in a different lot) and did not bring her car to us. The service writer showed her the old brake line and we were like "sorry, you got a brake flush and new line for free, so don't complain.
So, I out to another Honda, parked way out in a different lot, and the key fits it too. So I pump on the brake and it is spongy buy works, I start it up and it want to idle at 2000 RPM. So I throw it it drive and go towards the bay I was working out of and the brake pedal, which I am using to hold back the 2000 RPM idle of the car, goes to the floor. I go for the key, and it falls out onto the floor with the engine still on. By now I am going 30, at least it felt that way. I go for than shifter and it wont budge. At this time I slaw into the open drivers door of the car I mistakenly fixed earlier and tear it off, then I swerve across 4 lanes of traffic and into a concrete divider which flips the car onto it's roof. I get out just as the thing burst into flame and then explodes. I am not making this up. Seriously. It was the most f'd up thing to ever happen to me at work. I quit that day, but the owner called me the next morning and said the rest of the crew, including the service manager had quit right after I did, and would I come in and hire a new crew and manage the past for a month until the real job I was waiting on was ready for me to start.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 03:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
I am not making this up. Seriously.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-14-2011, 03:51 PM
Granite Guru

Now that you have it documented that you are having electrical problems I personally would set the friggin thing on fire and collect the insurance! I wouldn't think twice not worthy of anymore of your time, money, frustration or efforts period!!!

As Red Green would say "fix it or feel better" and it sure would make me feel better to have that POS out of my life for good, hell I'm about 1/4 of the way there myself with mine.

Last edited by PmedicJ; 02-14-2011 at 03:55 PM.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

Wasn't that clutch thing common on TJ's? Mine made that noise for 115K miles...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Granite Guru

Just more in the continuing saga of Jeep not standing up to their name. Frankly, I have had enough too based on personal experience and what I have seen happening on the forums.

I think it is time for us to all deal with this issue en-masse. Letters to Chrysler, reporting every single problem (especially the common ones) to the NHTSA website, and getting the word out on forums, Jeep's Facebook page, etc...

I had an issue with a broken axle housing a few months ago. Wrote a letter to Jeep detailing the issue, it's frequency in 4 door JKs, and how some people were covered by warranty and some not. Specifically a member of another JK forum and those associated with that forum seem to get a bit more support from Chrysler. If Chrysler is not going to stand behind the Jeep name, they need to move away from the trail rated logo and quit showing the vehicles in off road scenarios.

In the OP's case, he doesn't even have a reliable highway vehicle. The popping out of gear issue has been going on since 2007. Fuel overflow issue, etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Granite Guru

I'm also frustrated that I mailed them the letter over a month ago (registered mail) and they won't even respond to that or my e-mails to Chrysler.

post #15 of 15 Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJK View Post
Thats the best idea I have heard yet. Except I would probably get sued for driving a broken Jeep to their service department.

Once I had a between real jobs job at a crappy all brands auto repair place. I got a repair order to work on a light blue Honda civic with a leaking brake line. No license number on the RO, had they key clipped in the clip board. So I go out to the lot, drive in the Honda, and see that it has a seeping brake line, no problem, I replace it. Just as I am done, a lady comes up and asks what the hell I am doing with her car. I tell her, and she says she was shopping at the mall (like 50 yards away in a different lot) and did not bring her car to us. The service writer showed her the old brake line and we were like "sorry, you got a brake flush and new line for free, so don't complain.
So, I out to another Honda, parked way out in a different lot, and the key fits it too. So I pump on the brake and it is spongy buy works, I start it up and it want to idle at 2000 RPM. So I throw it it drive and go towards the bay I was working out of and the brake pedal, which I am using to hold back the 2000 RPM idle of the car, goes to the floor. I go for the key, and it falls out onto the floor with the engine still on. By now I am going 30, at least it felt that way. I go for than shifter and it wont budge. At this time I slaw into the open drivers door of the car I mistakenly fixed earlier and tear it off, then I swerve across 4 lanes of traffic and into a concrete divider which flips the car onto it's roof. I get out just as the thing burst into flame and then explodes. I am not making this up. Seriously. It was the most f'd up thing to ever happen to me at work. I quit that day, but the owner called me the next morning and said the rest of the crew, including the service manager had quit right after I did, and would I come in and hire a new crew and manage the past for a month until the real job I was waiting on was ready for me to start.
That's a great story man!!

-Jeff
KG6VPY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode