Anyone Break a Sector Shaft? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Anyone Break a Sector Shaft?

Thank God I was not traveling on the highway. I was actually pulling out of a parking spot on asphalt with the tires aired down and the wheel cranked. Think the dealer will cover it under warranty

peter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 12:07 PM
JKO Addict!

That is completely frikin ridiculous, I guess we all need to look for signs of cracking before something bad happens to one of us. I'm glad you were not on the highway. How many miles do you have on your Jeep?

|
|
post #3 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Really depends on how "modified jeep friendly" your dealership is. If that's the same jeep as shown in your avatar pic- then maybe not. Looks like you're running 35's?...37's? They may try to blame the failure on the lift & tires. If one dealer doesn't fix it under warranty, that doesn't necessarily mean that another dealership won't either. They all have different definitions of coverage. Good luck- let us know what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I think they usually try to void stuff they don't want to work on. At least that is my opinion. I would think they would make decent money on repairing that in comparioson to the effort involved. They might...

There is a dealership in Golden off Colfax. Go Jeep/Chrysler. I forget the service managers name, he has a heavy accent. He has treated me good. May want to check with them.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Really depends on how "modified jeep friendly" your dealership is. If that's the same jeep as shown in your avatar pic- then maybe not. Looks like you're running 35's?...37's? They may try to blame the failure on the lift & tires. If one dealer doesn't fix it under warranty, that doesn't necessarily mean that another dealership won't either. They all have different definitions of coverage. Good luck- let us know what happens.
07 JKU Rubicon, approximately 5,000 miles, 35" tires, Rancho LA kit, other stuff. Purchased in August of 07. I will show it to my dealer. They are usually pretty good about these things. I might replace it with a PSC box though. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in Mopar right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
There is a dealership in Golden off Colfax. Go Jeep/Chrysler. I forget the service managers name, he has a heavy accent. He has treated me good. May want to check with them.
Thanks for the lead on the dealership. Too bad you guys are on the wrong side of the mountains (I'm on the western slope)

peter

Last edited by stewp97; 11-30-2008 at 12:33 PM.
post #6 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 PM

That's pretty scary. I know Off Road Evolution makes a sector shaft brace, might be worth looking into...
post #7 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewp97 View Post
I might replace it with a PSC box though.
Do you have to upgrade the PS pump or will the stock pump have enough flow rate for the PSC box?
post #8 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_engle View Post
Do you have to upgrade the PS pump or will the stock pump have enough flow rate for the PSC box?
I believe that you can use the stock pump- but the box is over $700 and I've heard that it is not much better than the original Mopar/ Delphi box. It may just be a re-manufactured Mopar box.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
Thanks for the lead on the dealership. Too bad you guys are on the wrong side of the mountains (I'm on the western slope)

peter
Oh, I thought you were over here somewhere...
post #10 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

Quote:
Thank God I was not traveling on the highway. I was actually pulling out of a parking spot on asphalt with the tires aired down and the wheel cranked. Think the dealer will cover it under warranty

peter
Hmmm...the forensic signature of the failure, if the pics are representative, shows that the shaft was bent, not twisted, to break it.

That means the operating angle was too severe, and the normal twisting motion of the part was not in a matched axis plane.

This means that under stress, instead of the input to out put line looking like this:

[--------------------------]

It might have looked more like this:

[-------------------
........................-----------------]

etc.

Have you tried looking at the two ends, to see where they migrated to, to get a clue as to why the input and out put ends were not lined up?

It may only be out of line at certain steering angles for example, etc.

Finding out now will help to prevent this from happening AGAIN.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #11 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Wheeler

I agree that it looks like a bent shaft rather than a torsional failure. Additionally, it was cracked for some time before it failed. The rust that developed in the crack is evidence to that.
post #12 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 07:10 PM
JKowners Vendor

Is that a stock pitman arm or a drop one?

801-713-3314
post #13 of 27 Old 11-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
It looks like a drop to me? If it is, it has me worried. I actually just bought a stock pitman arm to put back on mine as soon as I get a high steer kit.

Jason
post #14 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 05:17 AM
Granite Guru

Looks like a F/T pitman arm
post #15 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 07:50 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILYSI Dave View Post
I agree that it looks like a bent shaft rather than a torsional failure. Additionally, it was cracked for some time before it failed. The rust that developed in the crack is evidence to that.
X2 I don't see anyway that turning the wheels in a car park would cause that, but you never know.

I've broken input shafts on other vehicles, and it's always been a cause for concern when wheeling. I just picked up another steering box on ebay and will be converting it to hydro assist with a Red Neck Ram.
post #16 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I just picked up another steering box on ebay and will be converting it to hydro assist with a Red Neck Ram.
Details?

Jason
post #17 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Granite Guru

Talking

I'm fairly certain for obvious reasons that the final straw for this camel might have occurred in the parking lot, but that the rest of the straws were probably in place well before that, and, most likely, loaded on when the steering was under load during an impact that shifted the axis, creating the original stress...this was probably exacerbated over time by repeated stresses, until it was worked back and forth enough times to finally break all the way.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #18 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 10:29 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Details?
Pretty much a DIY kit, but pretty easy to install. West Texas Offroad will be modifying and adding the hydraulic fittings to the new box and I'll install it.

If you want more info contact Matt at West Texas Offroad -1-877-833-7464 or [email protected]

I'll do a write up once I get it done, should be about two weeks or so.

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.co...osteering.html
post #19 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
JKowners Vendor

See this just proves my point, Alec is always making fun of me for mall crawling but some scary stuff can happen!

Just kidding good luck, glad you were not on the highway!

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #20 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
I'm fairly certain for obvious reasons that the final straw for this camel might have occurred in the parking lot, but that the rest of the straws were probably in place well before that, and, most likely, loaded on when the steering was under load during an impact that shifted the axis, creating the original stress...this was probably exacerbated over time by repeated stresses, until it was worked back and forth enough times to finally break all the way.
In a nutshell, I think you are right

I had knocked the steering off center last winter. We had thought it was just the adjustment. Now I think it might have twisted the splines. I think this weekend I might have twisted the splines back, snapping it. I have not had a chance to really look at it now that I have gotten back. Yes, it does have a drop pitman arm.

I have ordered the PSC kit. They use brand new Delphi boxes, then go through them and blueprint, making sure they are perfect. They also add a heavy duty sector support end cap, as well as other stuff. If anything, using the ram will reduce the load on the sector shaft.

FWIW, another JK I was wheeling with had problems with his box after I left. He lost power steering in one direction. The spool valve in the box stuck and never corrected itself.

peter

post #21 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
drop.

Were you on Steelbender Friday afternoon?

peter

post #22 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 11:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
In a nutshell, I think you are right

I had knocked the steering off center last winter. We had thought it was just the adjustment. Now I think it might have twisted the splines. I think this weekend I might have twisted the splines back, snapping it. I have not had a chance to really look at it now that I have gotten back. Yes, it does have a drop pitman arm.

I have ordered the PSC kit. They use brand new Delphi boxes, then go through them and blueprint, making sure they are perfect. They also add a heavy duty sector support end cap, as well as other stuff. If anything, using the ram will reduce the load on the sector shaft.

FWIW, another JK I was wheeling with had problems with his box after I left. He lost power steering in one direction. The spool valve in the box stuck and never corrected itself.
peter
This happens to me a lot it does correct its self shortly but it sucks cause its always when I am in a bad spot

|
|
post #23 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 11:39 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
This happens to me a lot it does correct its self shortly but it sucks cause its always when I am in a bad spot
I've had it happen quite a few times too and it always corrects itself as well.
post #24 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
I was told he went wheeling the entire next day and it never did fix itself. Sure makes for a long day!

peter

post #25 of 27 Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
If anything, using the ram will reduce the load on the sector shaft.
Most definitely, the ram will do all the heavy lifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode