Tire Pressures - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-11-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to Aint Skeered
Tire Pressures

OK Got a question ? what is the best tire pressures for Snow , Sand , Mud , Rock ? Or is there a happy mead em any info would be great Thanks ....

Steal Blue 08 JK Unlimited 4X4
BDS 4 SUSPENSION LIFT
Dual stabilizer kit
Nitto Terra Mud Grappler Tires 35X12.50X17
Helo HE791 17x9x4 Black Rims
Body Armor Front Bumper
With D rings and tow hooks
Smitty Built XRC 10000lb Winch
6 100 watt off road lights
2 55 watt driving lights
1 330 watt light bar
4 Rampage Grab handles
Front and rear strobe lights
And More............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

For the mud and snow I run my regular air pressure around 35 psi.I spend alot of time on the beach fishing and run anywhere from 15 psi t0 18 psi on the beach depending on conditions.Never did rocks so I can't help u with that.But I have heard some guys go as low as 12psi running rocks.

Black Jeep

Last edited by jkruss; 02-12-2011 at 05:46 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Guess its trial an era Thats not your jeep sunk in the sand is it ? I almost did that about 15 years ago with my new mits pickup got to close to the water and got stuck had to call a friend to get me out before the tide came in LOL

BDS 4 SUSPENSION LIFT
Dual stabilizer kit
Body Armor Front Bumper
2 55 watt driving lights
1 330 watt light bar
4 Rampage Grab handles
And More............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

No that wasn't me,I came across that poor guy last year.I actually ran into him again and he was diving a nice old Yj.Yeah with different tire ratings and size's you just have to experiment a little to find what your comfortable with.

Black Jeep

Last edited by jkruss; 02-12-2011 at 12:32 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Rocks w/o beadlocks I run 12-14. Mud is usually street pressure. Snow, on road, I go down to 15, it just seems to stick noticeably better. Sand you want low psi, but not so low you can get sand between the bead, I'd do 12

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

i haven't done rocks yet, but my buddy out in moab used 12-14 psi. i'm cruising around on the street and the snow for that matter at 28.5 psi. it's a nice smooth comfortable ride.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
post #7 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Tire size, construction, sidewall firmness and rim width all affect how a tire will react at different pressures. So the specific pressures that work best for me might be wrong for you. I have 35" BFG MT KM2 tires on 17x9" Soft-8 wheels, and run them normally at 35psi.

On snow I don't change my pressure at all. Maybe up north or out west where 24" snow falls come one after the other I might think different, but I want my tires to push down through the snow to make contact with the road surface below. I also have chains, and though I never needed to use them, I would certainly run full tire pressure with them mounted.

Ice is also usually manageable at normal tire pressure. But if there's a lot of black ice, I'll drop the pressure down lower, 20-25psi. Again, if I opted to run with chains, I'd stay at normal pressure.

With sand you want a soft sidewall and large footprint to float on top of the sand, but not so soft that you risk separating a bead. 15 psi is what I run on the beach and in the sand pits in the Pine Barrens, and it works well for me.

On rocks you also want a large footprint and soft sidewall, especially so the tire can conform to rocks to get maximum grip. But you have to be careful, not only about separating a bead but also getting cuts on the sidewall. Again, I normally run 15 psi, but will go down to 12 psi on particularly difficult obstacles if there's no sharp rocks to cut the sidewalls. Also, as you reduce tire pressure you also loose ground clearance, so this needs to be factored-in.

The little mud I do is usually short runs as part of a larger ride on rocks or sand. I don't change my tire pressure for these short mud obstacles. Someone who's more into mud might comment.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #8 of 10 Old 02-12-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

ok guys I think that will help mostly we all have to find what works for us Like bumpintheroad said what works for him might not work for me Thanks for the replys

BDS 4 SUSPENSION LIFT
Dual stabilizer kit
Body Armor Front Bumper
2 55 watt driving lights
1 330 watt light bar
4 Rampage Grab handles
And More............
post #9 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

HWY, I run 35psi. Off road I run 15psi but I have aired down as low as 10psi with no issues.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #10 of 10 Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Granite Guru

Tons of variables here, just like Bump said. Trial and error is the best way to find out what works for you and your particular set up.

Rocks I generally run 15 and have for years, BUT, now with these Toyos am back to having to experiment to see what works best. Don't have em dialed in yet. Figure I will be taking them lower as these things really don't grip for shit at 15.

Sand- trail running, 10-12. For balls to the wall sand drags or hill climbs, 5-6. An NO, I DON'T have problems popping beads without beadlocks.

Snow and ice, whatever it's at cuz it's too damn cold to air down.

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode