8 Speed Transmission - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

8 Speed Transmission

Well Chrysler just confirmed that the 12' JK will have the Penestar V6 but haven't released the HP/TQ numbers. Also looks like the future JK's will have the new ZF 8 speed transmission

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...s-for-v6-first

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

Also, Expect to see a diesel in the not too distant future. The Fiat Empire just purchased half of VM Motori which is the company that makes the new 3.0L V6 diesel for the 11' Grand Cherokee's. First they have to figure out all of the emissions crap.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...e-in-vm-motori

Last edited by wranglerblackout08; 02-11-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

8 speed trans? i dont even use all the 6 i have. it's usually 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th or 6th.

2009 2dr, surf blue
lift, 35's, and other stuff.

"Tigers love pepper. They hate cinnamon"
post #3 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Would sure help with efficiency

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfbluedevil
8 speed trans? i dont even use all the 6 i have. it's usually 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th or 6th.
That's probably the reaction people had when they got all crazy and went from 3 to 4 speeds too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Would sure help with efficiency
That's the goal.
post #5 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Slow and Low

1st through 4th gear would be "ultra" low crawler ratios. And there would be a bypass switch to take you straight to 4-8 for highway use.

Wait... I'm daydreaming at work.
post #6 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

That tranny info was an interesting read. Thanks for posting.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #7 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Liquor

i think Jeep will wait for the diesel when a new wrangler model is released. they will work on getting emmisions set until then. which can be 4-5 years from now. there will be stricter emmission laws by then.

Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #8 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
1st through 4th gear would be "ultra" low crawler ratios. And there would be a bypass switch to take you straight to 4-8 for highway use.
Wait... I'm daydreaming at work.
Chevy did something like this in the mid 80's. My uncle has a 1984 Corvette with the manual... shift 1st thru 4th, hit a switch on the console, then shift 5th thru 7th. They did away with it after 1985 or 1986 when they went to the 6-speed.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #9 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

looks like my "2nd car" will be a diesel Jeep.

Info:

|
post #10 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Granite Guru

face it the wangler we all love is gonna be gone, I went and looked at the interior in the 2012 the other day and yes it's worse then the photos holly liberty!!!
I'm just waiting for the IFS I'm sure it's coming, hell I wouldn't be able to stand my JK stock or modded if I had to drive it as a daily driver.

Last edited by rexicon; 02-11-2011 at 03:44 PM.
post #11 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexicon View Post
face it the wangler we all love is gonna be gone, I went and looked at the interior in the 2012 the other day and yes it's worse then the photos holly liberty!!!
I'm just waiting for the IFS I'm sure it's coming, hell I wouldn't be able to stand my JK stock or modded if I had to drive it as a daily driver.
Jesus christ. Here we go again. Take a look at your damn JK buddy. It's already a damn mini van. I know you think you're hardcore with your JK, but your not. You have a JK.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #12 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Jesus christ. Here we go again. Take a look at your damn JK buddy. It's already a damn mini van. I know you think you're hardcore with your JK, but your not. You have a JK.
People said that about my YJ.

Info:

|
post #13 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
People said that about my YJ.
They've said it about every damn jeep that has ever came out after the original flattie is '46. Best part is, most of the people always saying this are first time jeep owners that think their jeep is hardcore and if anyone ever tells them different it's blasphemy.

post #14 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 05:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG426 View Post
Chevy did something like this in the mid 80's. My uncle has a 1984 Corvette with the manual... shift 1st thru 4th, hit a switch on the console, then shift 5th thru 7th. They did away with it after 1985 or 1986 when they went to the 6-speed.
You're talking about the Nash 4+3, which was a bit of a nightmare, especially if it needed work done. It was actually a manual 4spd with an OD for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #15 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man View Post
You're talking about the Nash 4+3, which was a bit of a nightmare, especially if it needed work done. It was actually a manual 4spd with an OD for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
yup...thats the one. His vette has only 11k miles on it, probably why he hasn't had any problems with it. The thing is like brand new condition, red w/ black interior...classic '80s Corvette

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #16 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
What part the interior is hindering the capability of the Wrangler off-road? If anything, the new interior is more reminiscent of the TJ.

Creature comforts and design changes are what sell vehicles. If Chrysler was still selling the same Wrangler you could buy 20 years ago, they'd be out of business. If Chrysler focused solely on the hardcore wheelers and not soccer moms and yuppie dads, they'd be out of business.

There's no arguing that Chrysler has made some incredibly stupid decisions when it comes to the Wrangler. The 3.8L engine is a joke, I want to strangle the dipshit who thought plastic ball joints were a good idea, and the laughable tranny are just a few items in a litany of what-the-fuck moments. However, despite these flaws, when it comes to capability directly off the lot, the Wrangler keeps getting better and better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler is holding back on things such as a diesel or Hemi as optional features as a last resort means to keep Jeep above water if things seriously go to shit. Furthermore, no other auto manufacturer has been able to really compete with the Wrangler as an off road vehicle. Hummer tried and failed miserably. Toyota gave it a shot, too. When someone else can best Jeep with a vehicle you can take right off the lot and up a mountain, you might actually see them start to step up to the plate and start making more intelligent strides.

'07 Wrangler "Rescue" | 4" Teraflex | 35x12.5x17 KM2's | Eagle Alloy 185's | Rubicon Sliders | 4.10's | JE-Reel DS | OR-FAB/RR Bumpers | Billet Shifters

Last edited by Spank; 02-11-2011 at 07:11 PM.
post #17 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG426 View Post
Four plus three trans. You had 3 overdrives

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #18 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

<--- Sick and tired of reading online and in magazines about these guys who are all butt hurt because of the leather and heated seats and luxury. People keep saying that a Jeep should only be available in a manual trans, manual windows, no CD player, etc. I think that is completely ignorant and ridiculous. Those people obviously have an extremely narrowminded viewpoint.

Look: we still get the lockers, swaybar discos, solid axles, 4:1 case, etc, etc .... So it's not hurting it's capabilities. What it does is give people who are driving them everyday the ability to feel like they still have a "nice" vehicle. Afterall, they are 35K new. You WANT to spend 35K on something that isn't "nice" at all? I have a Scout I'll sell you for that much, then. It has no doors, no ac, no heat, no top, no NOTHIN. Seems to me like that is the kind of thing these self-righteous "Jeepers" need.

AKA: "American" on PBB
post #19 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
wow just cause I have a jk doesn't mean I haven't had other jeeps and yes your right my jk has no attention at being hardcore

and it's pretty damn funny how one little comment can cause such a bunch of upset... LOL....

Last edited by rexicon; 02-11-2011 at 07:54 PM.
post #20 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
wow just cause I have a jk doesn't mean I haven't had other jeeps, or talk about my other 4x4's seeing as this is a JK site
Your statement does mean that either you haven't realized how cush the JK is, or you are extremely hypocritical though.

I suppose this makes you a hypocrit.

post #21 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Your statement does mean that either you haven't realized how cush the JK is, or you are extremely hypocritical though.

I suppose this makes you a hypocrit.
guess I've been called worse

no, I' m not gonna start calling you names grow up

Last edited by rexicon; 02-11-2011 at 08:05 PM.
post #22 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

The 8 speed will likely not end up in a Jeep Wrangler. The 8 speed will sit behind the V6 & v8 powered vehicles Grand Cherokee,Durango,300 and Charger.

New Interior 2011

No doubt a sales success, very nice and wow its not cheap and crappy like Jeep owners are used too. Its really grown on me a ton.

3.6 Pentastar

Will be available to order 06/15/2010 based on typical Wrangler ordering cycle same the last 8 years I have been selling them. It will be 283 HP 260 ft tq based on my sources. The 5 speed auto will sit behind the Pentastar.

Diesel Jeep

Its being considered likley a 2.8 4 banger not a V6....we can only dream

IFS

Its going to happen some day, not in the next 15 years hopefully

Current 3.8 & 4 speed auto

Really theres nothing wrong with the combo, its reliable and fuel efficient.....Would I buy one? Not sure I still own a LJ. The 4 speed is reliable with 37's and 103K miles mine still works fine!

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #23 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Do you mean the 2011's?

the double center console is handy

center console has power outlets and cord slots to run all the crap we hook up

the dash doesn't scratch as easy and is a bit more weather resistant

they actually used metal on the dash accents which looks better than the painted shit they tried to pull

the center console is higher so you can actually use it as an arm rest with out spending money on a neoprean topper.

and they shaped the area where a persons knees are slightly better to give a little bit more leg room

I mean I could care less either way but I think they only improved things with the exception of the doors though they have built in arm rest for comfort they are a little bit harder to remove compared to my 07

post #24 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 09:05 PM
JKO Addict!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #25 of 31 Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Slow and Low

My 1978 CJ5 had a speedo that didn't work.
My 2007 JK is about to have a speedo that won't work. Kinda like my CJ.
My JK's axles are from the 70's and 80's. Cuz I like old bomber axles.
My engine didn't have enough power, so I supercharged it.
My wheelbase was too short, so I lengthened it.
My tires were too small, so I got bigger ones.
I will not have ABS, Power options, or any fancy stuff. Cuz I hate that shit.

My point is that you can't change what the manufacturer is going to do with the next generations to come. So if you don't like it, quit bitching and make it your own.
Or just don't buy one...

Last edited by Co4Lo; 02-11-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode