Why I am leaving my jeep stock! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Why I am leaving my jeep stock!

I had big plans to put a lift, new tires etc. On my new 2010 rubicon but seeing as it is my daily driver and the fact that it already had to go in for service numerous times, twice for leaking transmissions lines (now leaking again) transfer case cable clip busted twice. It has a rattle that sounds like marbles in can at high rpm's that nobody can diagnose it's not a heat shield, fuel grade, catalytic converter or manifold but only does it after it's warmed up it sounds like grinding metal or a bad ball bearing only at high rpm's mostly passing gear or revved not under load otherwise there is no noise. It sounds like it is coming from behind the glove box or transmission (automatic) and it is loud and obnoxious and seems like something bad is on the way! Also it burns oil about 1/2 quart every 3k of course the dealer said that they all make that noise when revved so I took a new one out with him. Guess what no noise!!! And of course he retorts with it's not broken in. Come the [email protected]$& on!!!

I don't trust it and I am not investing money in something that sounds like it's going to break!
I love the jeep but I hate the quality!

WTF???? This thing only has 7,000 miles on it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Rock God

Garage

Take to a different dealer and see what they say.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #3 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 11:22 AM
JKO Addict!

That sucks. Keep complaining to Chrysler, keep taking it back, lemon law it, they'll buy it back.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM
Rock God

Theres problems a brewing

Are you taking it to the same dealer you bought it from?

Did you buy it used?

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #5 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Try a different dealer and DEFINITELY contact the Chrysler Call Center & register a complaint. The more you document these issues the better it will be for you later.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
Theres problems a brewing

Are you taking it to the same dealer you bought it from?

Did you buy it used?
Bought it brand new
Been going to same dealer
Took it to another, same response!

Supposedly these motors (per 2 techs) are not designed to rev at high rpm's and they all do it!
So I guess I shouldn't be using passing gear at all! Because that's when the noise occurs!

I have been under it banging on everything and can't seem to find anything loose. I revved it up in the driveway a couple times in park and it made the noise slightly at about 3200 rpm's but I would not go higher than that not under load. It stopped after a couple of times went for a short drive and it sounded good got about 1/2 mile tried hitting passing gear again and it's back!
Could it be the tranny or something in the cooling system it is loudest behind the glove box down low? I know it's not the heat shield on the cross over I checked that very well! Another thing is that it doesn't seem to correlate with the rpm's like it doesn't sound like it is spinning at 4500 rpm's maybe it's like a spark knock I don't know anymore! Just very frustrated!

Last edited by PmedicJ; 02-10-2011 at 11:53 AM.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Coonasian

Garage

Maybe at these high RPMs, it is allowing some other component to vibrate at a resonant frequency and making this noise. That could be very difficult to pinpoint and aggravating as hell. I don't have suggestions beyond what the others have mentioned, especially the part about keeping very accurate and complete records for later verification. Good luck and I hope it is nothing! My new Rubi does not do that but only has 2000 miles.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PmedicJ View Post
Supposedly these motors (per 2 techs) are not designed to rev at high rpm's and they all do it!
This is bullcrap. The 4.0 inline, sure, but the 3.8...they are just spewing dealer garbage.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #9 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well I just went out and looked again tried the heat shields again no luck. I did take it for another ride and noticed that when I hit passing gear the engine revved up sounded good but it took a second or two and the noise began until it up shifted so I don't think it is the motor itself but it's still driving me nuts!

It definately sounds like a moving part not a vibration the best I can describe it is a ball bearing that is not greased and missing a couple balls, lol is there anything like that behind the engine or the front of the tranny that would do this at high rpm's in park or hitting passing gear

Also when in passing gear it changes pitch it gets louder and quieter then louder and so forth and changes tones?

Last edited by PmedicJ; 02-10-2011 at 01:11 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

i have the exact same noice problem from your discription been dealing with it for 20k intermittent ya its anoyying but short of tearing my whole jeep apart i dont know if ill ever find it...on the other hand i plan replacing what i can and hopefully ill get it at some point...im trying one thing i heard that the rattle might be from a metal tab near the rear bumper...even tho it sounds further up in th cab....but i also run no carpet or drainplugs and i still cant hear where its comeing from..

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #11 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 PM
JKO Addict!

It's under warranty.... Run the shit out of it.

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

post #12 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockgator View Post
It's under warranty.... Run the shit out of it.
X2, don't get too involved in trying to diagnose it yourself, otherwise they might find a reason to blame it on something you messed up in the process. Keep it dead stock and let it be Chrysler's problem, stay polite and persistent, just be the thorn in their side until they take care of it. As was mentioned, call Chrysler directly, that often gets the dealer to be more cooperative. Every time they try to fix something and fail, it makes your case a little bit stronger. Hang on to all the work orders. The road to getting it Lemon Law'd (if it comes to that) can be long and frustrating but it's worth it, for your own satisfaction and to hold Chrylser accountable for the garbage they produce.

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide
post #13 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dickyB Send a message via Skype™ to dickyB

I swore I wasnt going to modify my rubicon when I bought it after all the problems I had with my lifted excursion. I think about 3 months later I had 35" tires on it. Keep going back and documenting the issues until that jeep is lemon lawed. once youve got a jeep that wasnt made on a friday afternoon and you feel more comfortable then let the mod's begin. there's no way to avoid them so the best thing you can do is just make sure you have a solid platform to start with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I like driving my jeep around while wearing a suit....it says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.
post #14 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Man, sorry that you are having problems. I haven't had any of the issues and love driving a modified rig. But when you mod one, you have to stay on top of maintaining things.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #15 of 19 Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

30,000 miles and no rattle here.....they are feeding you a line of it. What you should do is have some use a video camera with audio recording ability so you can have the noise captured at the driving speed....then take it back and let them know you have video with the noise to submit to Chrysler Customer Service along with their service departments response to the noise....see where it goes from there.

Then if you have to Lemon law it or they make you take them to court because something is wrong with it, you have a video with audio to prove it!

Good luck!

U.S. Army
post #16 of 19 Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickyB View Post
...once youve got a jeep that wasnt made on a friday afternoon...
When shopping for anything Chrysler, I think the new goal is to get one that was made before lunch...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45531

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide
post #17 of 19 Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Wheeler

I would take it to a transmission shop & have mechanic ride along, with the leaks it could be torque converter or some part in tranny that dealer doesn't want to pay to fix under warranty

'08 D. Yellow 2 dr 6 spd Rubi Hdtp. "The Mistress"
RR winch bumper w/ hoop
12,500 lb winch
Deadweight rear seat removed
post #18 of 19 Old 02-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

All you have to do is wait for the warranty to expire, then take it back to the dealer. I'm confident they will then be able to tell you exactly what the problem is, and how much it will cost to be fixed.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #19 of 19 Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have a post I started a while back about this noise by thought I remedied it as a heat shield but it is back. According to several other people they have the same leak at the tranny cooling lines and others with the same noise.

[URL="https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38660"[/URL]

I agree with all of your comments. I am just going to keep going back and documenting. Drive it till it breaks or warranty is up and probably trade it in when the new pentastar and tranny comes out if I can't remedy this situation.

Last edited by PmedicJ; 02-11-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode