Might be buying my JK!! Need help negotiating $$! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Might be buying my JK!! Need help negotiating $$!

Hello everyone,

So I've been looking and looking for the right JK for me to buy, and I'm finally itching to pull the trigger. I almost bought a Rubi that was loaded for $29k but it had almost 100k miles on it so I backed out.

Now with a bit more money saved for a down payment, I've come across a 2010 Sport in Dark Charcoal. It's almost brand new with only 4k miles on it. Dealer was asking $29995 and I told him I was looking for something around $25k. He said he could sell it outright for $26,885.

The Jeep is bone stock, near brand new, and I love dark charcoal and can't seem to find it anywhere. Is $27k still too high? What price do you think I could get him down to?

Soon to be JK Owner
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Rock God

depends on what you want.. but i wouldnt pay 27 k for a 2010.. with 4k miles... you can get a new base 4 door auto for around 26 k
post #3 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 AM
Rock God

What does the 2010 Sport have? When you mean bone stock should we assume it has no aftermarket upgrades? What about factory options...Auto trans, hard top, dual tops, 17" wheels with 32" tires, trailer hitch? side impact airbags, MyGig stereo, power locks/windows, etc? If it is has all that stuff, even with 4k miles it may be a fair deal.

My JK with only: auto trans, just the hard top and the trailer hitch, 16" steel wheels with all-season tires I got brand new with 0 miles for just under $23k plus the tax. Which is pretty good for NY, best I got from all other dealers was $26-28k for same vehicle.

Also, check the skids/axels for any missing paint, will tell you if it was wheeled.

Good luck and enjoy the process of buying the JK!

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

First some rules on negotiating:

NEVER let the dealer know how much you are actually willing to pay. It gives them all the bargaining power. If you are forced to come up with a number, always start significantly lower than what you are actually willing to pay. That will give you room to play with during the negotiation.

You have to be patient when searching for a vehicle. If you walk in there and are anxious to buy a vehicle, chances are a good salesman will pick up on it and you will not be negotiating with a clear mind since emotions get involved.

Get some leverage. You need to come in there fully prepared with as much information as you can get. When I bought my JK, I let the dealer know that I was in "talks" with a competing dealership for almost a month. You also need to know blue book and NADA values when you go in there so you have some sort of basis for your arguement for a lower price.

Just some tips...
post #5 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 08:49 AM
ADDICTION II build begins....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post

NEVER let the dealer know how much you are actually willing to pay. It gives them all the bargaining power. If you are forced to come up with a number, always start significantly lower than what you are actually willing to pay. That will give you room to play with during the negotiation.

You have to be patient when searching for a vehicle. If you walk in there and are anxious to buy a vehicle, chances are a good salesman will pick up on it and you will not be negotiating with a clear mind since emotions get involved.

Get some leverage. You need to come in there fully prepared with as much information as you can get. When I bought my JK, I let the dealer know that I was in "talks" with a competing dealership for almost a month. You also need to know blue book and NADA values when you go in there so you have some sort of basis for your arguement for a lower price.

Just some tips...
x2...go online to Nada or Kelly Blue Book and do a comparison between stock sport and rubi so you have a price idea of what they go for new and used.

If you find a used Rubi within 2-3 years old for with LOW miles (under 20,000) for mid-low $20s then I would say that is a good deal...picked up my '07 Rubi unlimited with 3" lift and 35s in '09 for $24,500 with 20,000 miles.

I wouldn't give anything over $26-27,000 for a SPORT unless it was Brand New and Fully Loaded.

U.S. Army
post #6 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Heck, I've got a low mileage '08 Rubi 4dr that's moderately equipped I'm willing to part with for a reasonable price. It's been used, but not abused.

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #7 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Rock God

Quote:

Just some tips...
x3...great advise!

I first went through the Costco sponsored dealership, they gave me a a great price but when I called them back to agree to the purchase price and locate a JK I got absolutely no response from them. After a week of trying to get the original salesman and no one else having the time to work with me I went to another dealer. I told them I will not pay a penny more than $1k less than the Costco price. After a couple days and with some "manager authorization" they agreed to it. That price did not include the hitch or extra $ for the paint color on the actual JK they located for me but they gave those 2 items to me at 50% off list. I was happy with the deal and the sales person was happy to sell me a JK.

The worst thing is buyers remorse...as long as you are happy with the deal, that is all that matters but do your homework and you'll be ok.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #8 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys for all your replies...here's a link to the dealership's site and Jeep if it helps

http://www.nevadaautomall.net/used/J...9c616fd98f.htm

What do you think MY asking price should be?

Kelley Blue Book is stating a suggested retail price of $29k+

Soon to be JK Owner

Last edited by Seal; 02-10-2011 at 09:38 AM.
post #9 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Time to do some math:

NADA Retail Value: 27,675
KBB Retail Value: 26,730

NADA Trade in Value: 24,175
KBB Trade in Value: 22,675

First off let them know that the title is for a right hand drive and the picture is not a right hand drive.

Second, you can assume they got the JK in for a lot less than those trade in values because the majority of people dont do their homework as much as they should.

Next, come up wiht a list of things that you dont like about the JK. You will use this as bargaining power to show that you are "settling" for this JK because in the end its close enough. Go do some leg work and find somewhat comparable JKs in the area with better prices to show the salesman.

I would probably open up at 21,500
post #10 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Granite Guru

I am trying to work a deal right now with a local dealer on trading my 08 Rubi w/12k miles on a leftover 10 Rubi and they think the leftover is a piece of gold. I dont understand what part of "leftover" they dont understand. Ive walked out once on them and they called me but they did not move the numbers enough to bother even calling me. We will see.
Hang tough and stick to your guns. Like previosly mentioned-keep emotions in check. These JK's are not that scarce.

1. '10 Rubicon Unlimited
  2. Rock Krawler 3.5 Mid Arm Flex/Bilstein 5100's
  3. Rough Country SS
    4.GDY Duratrac 315/70/17

post #11 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Rock God

I just bought an 2011 Unlimited Sport, 2 tops, 24S package, with everything except nav for 26K flat.

Certain dealers are offering $1,500 loyalty, and $500 military discounts on the Wranglers

PS: Feburary is the best time to buy, start beating on the dealers now, and wait till the end of the month (huge discounts)

Last edited by ssnimrod; 02-10-2011 at 09:47 AM.
post #12 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Bought my 08 JK Rubicon unlimited auto loaded with everything except navi and engine block heater brand new for 28K.
post #13 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

NEVER let the dealer know how much you are actually willing to pay. It gives them all the bargaining power.
Eh. I stated what I would pay. They declined. I told them to call if they change their mind and I was off to Arizona to buy a different one. Hour later I bought my new rubicon for 21. That is what I wanted.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #14 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

This is all great information, and is giving me more confidence.

I'm assuming Right Hand Drive means that the steering wheel is on the right side of the vehicle? How will letting them know that the vehicle is not RHD despite the title saying it is help?

Did I screw up pretty bad by saying I was looking for something in the 25k range? or do you think I can still go in and offer the lower $21.5?

Keep in mind, so far I have only inquired about this vehicle through email with the dealership because they live about 30min away and the streets are still iced

Soon to be JK Owner
post #15 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Eh. I stated what I would pay. They declined. I told them to call if they change their mind and I was off to Arizona to buy a different one. Hour later I bought my new rubicon for 21. That is what I wanted.
It was 8K off of sticker.

Could I have done better? probably a little but I was happy with the price.
post #16 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 09:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seal View Post
This is all great information, and is giving me more confidence.

I'm assuming Right Hand Drive means that the steering wheel is on the right side of the vehicle? How will letting them know that the vehicle is not RHD despite the title saying it is help?

Did I screw up pretty bad by saying I was looking for something in the 25k range? or do you think I can still go in and offer the lower $21.5?

Keep in mind, so far I have only inquired about this vehicle through email with the dealership because they live about 30min away and the streets are still iced
Telling them about the RHD issue just shows you are competent and paying attention.

You probably did by telling them about 25K. You could tell them that the wife cut the budget or not tell them you are the same person they have been interacting with online.
post #17 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 AM
JKO Addict!

I'd go in as a new person. Tell them what you will pay, want leaves room for negotiating. Hopefully you have your own financing. That helps and tells them you will just take your money elsewhere if need be.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #18 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Rock God

Garage
My Advice...

This is what you should do. Wait until a few days before the end of the fiscal year, ~March 28. Find a large volume Jeep dealer that has the new JK that you want and start showing some interest, but DO NOT talk $. Then on March 31 about 15 minutes before they close go in and start talking money but DO NOT commit. Tell them that you want to sleep on it and start to leave. This will drive them nuts and most likely the sales manager will get involved at this point because they have fiscal year numbers to meet and you are there last hope Now you can pretty much name your price on a NEW JK and probably talk them into throwing an extended warranty and other goodies into the deal.

There is no way I would pay $25k for a used, stock JK. You can get a brand new one like you have described for ~$27 with a new warranty and better financing interest rates.

Now if you just cannot wait until the end of March, at least wait until the end of this month. The have monthly numbers to meet as well.

Just remember not to fall in love with a certain Jeep. They make hundreds of these things everyday. BE PATIENT!

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #19 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 11:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

at the end of the day you have to remember that the salesman is making a living off of you purchasing a vehicle from him. so in retrospect, he should be willing to do whatever he can to bust his balls to try and sell you what YOU want, not what you're willing to settle with. with that in mind, you should arm yourself with as much info about what you want, about jeeps, and about aftermarket prices as you can. when ii was getting my jeep serviced about 6 months back, a salesman was pushing me real hard because i was looking at a used 09 model just for shits and giggles. he came up to me spitting his game, and i just sat there and humored him. but when i started asking him questions about different model prices, whats the difference between a sahara and a rubicon ( i know the difference i was playing dumb) and a sport, he really didn't have any answers for me. especially when i was asking about stock gears and if i get dual tops or not. when he finally came back with some prices it was super high! he came back with like a 29k price tag for a used 09 model. i shot back, why would i pay for something that high if i really don't want it, and i could pay 26k for a brand new 2010 model with what i want? he was dubmfounded and kinda tucked his tail inbetween his legs and left me alone. the point is, you know what you want in a jeep and what you don't want. theres nothing worse than settling for something and just wishing that you would've waited and got what you want. SO GET WHAT YOU WANT! even if you have to wait a little longer. good luck bud!

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
post #20 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks. I'm definitely in no hurry to get one. I've waited this long, and the longer I wait the more I can save for a down payment. It's really a win/win so if I can't get the price down to what I want then I'll bail.

Soon to be JK Owner
post #21 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
This is what you should do. Wait until a few days before the end of the fiscal year, ~March 28. Find a large volume Jeep dealer that has the new JK that you want and start showing some interest, but DO NOT talk $. Then on March 31 about 15 minutes before they close go in and start talking money but DO NOT commit. Tell them that you want to sleep on it and start to leave. This will drive them nuts and most likely the sales manager will get involved at this point because they have fiscal year numbers to meet and you are there last hope Now you can pretty much name your price on a NEW JK and probably talk them into throwing an extended warranty and other goodies into the deal.

There is no way I would pay $25k for a used, stock JK. You can get a brand new one like you have described for ~$27 with a new warranty and better financing interest rates.

Now if you just cannot wait until the end of March, at least wait until the end of this month. The have monthly numbers to meet as well.

Just remember not to fall in love with a certain Jeep. They make hundreds of these things everyday. BE PATIENT!
^^^^^ I work in a dealership and I agree %100 ^^^^^^

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #22 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

$27k - $29k should get you a Rubi 4-door with under 20k miles, in-dash nav, etc. At least it did me.

2011 5.3L GM LC9 Aluminum LS V8 Conversion w/ Custom Dyno Tune
Aluminum Genright Bumpers Front & Rear - Aluminum Nemesis Rockers
PR44/RCV/Reid Front - Superior Rear - ORF Front / Poly Rear Cage - ORF Tire Carrier
RK 3.5" Springs - Fox 2.0 Adjustable Shocks - JKS Arms & Trackbars - Poly Steering
post #23 of 30 Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 PM
JKO Addict!

heck i'll sell you mine for $28k with coilovers, gears,lockers, hard top,trek top ,factory soft top, sitting on 37s

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #24 of 30 Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I found another dark charcoal...pretty much exact same vehicle asking price is $27,995. They said we would be at $27,044 out the door (not including sales tax though). I haven't stated my price yet. I just now sent an email saying I could buy a new one for that price and am in no hurry to jump on anything.

Also found a 2009 Black Rubicon...$28,595 with less than 25k miles on it. Sent them an email and no reply yet. We'll see...

Soon to be JK Owner
post #25 of 30 Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 AM
Granite Guru

Everyone on here is correct. Don't settle for anything you don't need or that you can't afford. Don't pay too much. I got my 09 2dr brand spanking new Sahara FULLY loaded for a total of 26,900. I went in to 4 different places and saw what they were offering me and used it against them. I have perfect credit so that worked in my favor. Even if you don't have great credit, you should never have to settle for what they are asking.

Pretty soon the economy will be great again and we will lose all negotiation power, regardless of what old timers on this forum tell you. One day the dealership will have full power once again but right now they are at our mercy. If one place tries to screw you, just go to another one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode