Buying advice options for a Jk - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Buying advice options for a Jk

Not sure if this is the proper place to post this but I did not see any Potential Buyers area...

I'm very interested in buying an 07-08 JK 4 x 4, either an X or Sahara.

I had an 90' Wrangler for 6 years and I loved it but once the kids came that was a done deal.

I've read some posts on this forum and others about what to expect from a "Jeep." Most importantly that this is not going to be a Lexus luxury ride vehicle. I've had a Jeep before, Triumph TR 6, etc. so I am very clear from an expectation standpoint.

Now on to my specific questions.

1. From my research it appears the biggest stock engine is a 3.8L with 205 HP. There is no other stock engine options?

2. I have a 18.5' fiberglass bass boat and trailer, single axle, etc. I think it weighs total 1200 lbs. GVW on the JK is 5800 lbs, I believe total towing capacity is 7800 lbs. Am I cutting myself short with this vehicle?

3. Are there any top loading canoe or kayak options with a soft top installed?

4. How do you get half doors, soft top and hard top? Is it easier and cheaper to buy aftermarket stuff (canvas based)?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 07:16 AM

If you want Towing to be a deciding factor then you need the 4:10 gears.
So you either need to find a 2007 with the Towing Pkg. or a new Rubicon.
I have a 2007 Sahara with towing pkg and I tow an Haulmark 5' x 8' enclosed trailer full of Carpentry tools daily about 2000 lbs. Don't even know the trailer is behind me.
post #3 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Wheeler

I can't speak for the half doors, mine has the full doors.

The Soft Top / Hard Top combo is cheaper than purchasing an aftermarket Hard Top.

This was from my Window sticker:
Dual Top Group $ 1,585
Freedom Top(TM) 3-Piece Modular Hard
Rear Window Wiper/Washer
Rear Window Defroster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 08:44 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post Towing

I have an 08 Rubicon. I towed a 6x12 U-Haul Trailer from Corona to Death Valley Seems like it was around 170 miles or there abouts. It was loaded with lumber steel and bags of cement for a project to rebuild a failing bridge on a trail there. We took no pictures as the job was not permitted... and we did not want photo evidence of what we were doing.... Also along were 2 old Military M 100 Trailers. We used those to haul the materials from the start of the trail to the job site. Both of the M100's suffered damage on the trail. I ended up bringing both of those back on the U-Haul trailer. The Jeep had no problems hauling the trailer in either direction with the loads. I was very impressed with just how well it did haul the load. I think you have no worries!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the responses guys.

ok, so does the TTP come with 4:10 rear gearing?

I assume the stock gearing is not adequate for my needs...or if I do get an X and it has the trailer towing package I am all set?

What sites/catalogues are best for after market stuff?
post #6 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 09:37 AM

The 2008 and up Trailer towing Pkg. only comes with 3:73 gears.2007 had 4:10 in the TTP and is now only available in the Rubicon - If I'm not mistaken.
post #7 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

I did buy my 2008 2 door "X" model with the "S" package. It came stock with 3.73 gears

I talk to a lot of people that WISH they had gotten half doors, just remember I live in sunny Florida so that may not be your best option. If you do want them, make sure it is on the vehicle when you buy it.

My only regret is not knowing the Jeep deal, and not buying a Rubicon for the Locker aspect alone. I know I can add lockers, but I would like to have had them stock. (you can see from my sig...I am going all out)

The last thought... make sure you know how and where YOU will use it. This will give you the best guide to what components you should get from the factory.

Happy Thanksgiving ! Enjoy

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Alec W

I have half doors in Colorado, have no regrets and love them. One thing to bear in mind, half doors are very noisy when compared with full doors (even when they are on). With my ORH soft-top at 80 MPH it’s difficult to hear the passengers. Being able to take out and toss them in the back when it’s nice out absolutely makes up for any lost comfort.

You can’t get a hard top with half doors although I don’t see any reason why one wouldn’t fit. I may try it next time I see my firend with a hardtop.

Rubicon all the way and if you are financing it won’t add that much to the payment.
post #9 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Stay away from all things power, like in windows...MyGyp is a waste of money...Wrangler X with S Package, and lockers would be nice, but that e-disco is a POS...that's my take.

Oh, and half doors are the way to go...now, if B!tchtop can come up with the upper glass door halves, I'd be 100% satisfied.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-27-2008, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ok, these responses lead to further questions.

I know very little about rear end ratio's...any explain?

I sense the half doors even as an option from new do not have tops either canvas or plexiglass?
post #11 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 05:41 AM
Granite Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
ok, these responses lead to further questions.

I know very little about rear end ratio's...any explain?

I sense the half doors even as an option from new do not have tops either canvas or plexiglass?
The ratios (Rear end for the rear axle, front end for the front axle, etc...) are a way to describe the leverage the differential has.

If you ever rode a 10 speed bike for example, you might remember that in 10th, you could go the fastest, but, found it very hard to go up hills.

In 1st, you could easily go up hills, but might pedal like mad, and still be going pretty slow.

In 10th, you had a numerically LOW RATIO, which, to confuse you, means you had a higher gear ratio.

For every revolution of the pedals, you'd get a certain number of revolutions of the tires....THAT'S the ratio you're looking for.

On the Jeep, a numerically higher gear ratio, such as 4.10 vs 3.73, is more like a LOWER gear on your 10 speed bike vs a HIGHER gear on your 10 speed bike.

So, with the 4.10 differential, you pedal faster to go the same speed, or have more engine RPM to go the same speed, than with the 3.73 differential.

That means the 4.10 has better leverage, and can pull "harder", but, requires higher rpm, as your ratio involves more pedaling and less speed.

The 3.73 ratio can't pull as hard as with the 4.10 ratio...but, gets better gas mileage, as it can pull with lower rpms at the same speed.

There is also a 3.21 ratio (The STOCK Ratio). This is the ratio you get if you DON'T get the trailer towing package, or at least click the little $50 box for 3.73's as an option. (Rubi's come with the 4.10 no matter what you do...)

2007 JK's used 4.10 instead of 3.73 as the trailer towing and Rubi gearing....after that, ONLY the Rubi's had 4.10's.

Some early JK's also came with a Dana 35 (D35) rear axle as standard, a MUCH weaker axle than the Dana 44 (D44) which later became the std.

(Something to watch out for if considering a 2007/early 2008...and which Jeep might slip into the line later as well if you're not careful...)

So - 4.10's pull harder than 3.73's, which pull harder than 3.21's....and, generally the harder they pull, the worse the gas mileage....as more rpm's are required for any given speed.

Hope that helps a bit!

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #12 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Like said above...you need to know how you intend to use the Jeep and how you intend to build it (if at all).

If your intent is to install a lift and larger tires (i.e. 35's or larger) you will need to upgrade your gears anyway.

So if that is your plan, you can buy the cheaper option X with the 3.73's and re-gear to 4:88's or whatever to handle your larger tires....

If you are planning on doing little to the Jeep or having to wait a while for larger tires, go for the 4:10 gears.

Point is to determine what your plans are for the Jeep and plan ahead to make sure you get what you want, but to also save youurself some money...

Might want to ask your dealer if they will finance mods...some will use a local shop to do that and you can finance it and it should be warrantied...if so, one thing to consider is putting in lockable storage (i.e. tuffy drawer or such) up front, that way you can finance it and you have a secure place for your valuables.
post #13 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ah, I see.

Well my intent is an easy question to answer.

Pulling my bass boat, light trails in VT and drives with the kids.

Actually, the drives with the kids is want started this.

I have a two seater convertible that I took my kids out all summer (in CT) and they absolutely loved it, problem is I could only take one out a time. After this happened I started thinking of a vehicle I could buy to suit my day to day needs (basic trans, pulling my boat, etc.) and something that had a convertible top, 4 door and back seats for the kids to take out. I had a Jeep for years before so I know I love the Jeep thing.

In my search, the JK is the perfect fit, I just need to fine tune the options.

Ideally I'm looking to buy off lease but am considering new.

I really want three tops...hard top and doors, soft top and half metal doors.

Other then that I want the trailer towing package...I don't think I need much else.
post #14 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

TEEJ:

Thanks for the explanation, very helpful.
post #15 of 29 Old 11-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

Quote:
TEEJ:

Thanks for the explanation, very helpful.
Your welcome sir.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #16 of 29 Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Wheeler

Now the hard choice.... What color will you get?
post #17 of 29 Old 11-29-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post

Black of course.
post #18 of 29 Old 11-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt View Post
Hey Britt,

I have the same jeep, color etc that you have. Every time I go to fill up the jeep i get compliments on the color and configuration of the Sahara 2dr. Love the black....
post #19 of 29 Old 11-29-2008, 09:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfj aka tambil View Post
I did buy my 2008 2 door "X" model with the "S" package. It came stock with 3.73 gears

I talk to a lot of people that WISH they had gotten half doors, just remember I live in sunny Florida so that may not be your best option. If you do want them, make sure it is on the vehicle when you buy it.

My only regret is not knowing the Jeep deal, and not buying a Rubicon for the Locker aspect alone. I know I can add lockers, but I would like to have had them stock. (you can see from my sig...I am going all out)

The last thought... make sure you know how and where YOU will use it. This will give you the best guide to what components you should get from the factory.

Happy Thanksgiving ! Enjoy
And his Jeep is bada$$ with those half doors!! Good luck with your purchase!
post #20 of 29 Old 11-29-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What color is an interesting ?

I'm fairly easy with color...I like the Silver, burgundy, dark blue or black...

I'm more concerned about finding all the options I want especially if I'm buying used.
post #21 of 29 Old 11-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

If you plan to go off road, especially in tight trail conditions- The silver will hide scratches better than the other colors. (Why they discontinued "khaki", I'll never know. That was the best color to hide scratches and dirt.) If you might resale the vehicle down the road- the silver will still look good and appeal to more potential buyers than most other colors. Silver is also easier to touch-up the "dings".
post #22 of 29 Old 11-30-2008, 08:39 PM
JKowners Vendor

how come no one has directed the op to me?

please see my sig!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #23 of 29 Old 11-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

428street- The JK for sale in this thread really is worth taking a look at if you are close. I know that from a lot of time on this forum, that he is a very trustworthy person, has likely never abused that Jeep, and has done some very worthwhile mods. The price is very fair for what has been done to it. If you bought a Jeep like this- then you could save the parts and installation money. You could test drive it and know exactly if you like it. A lot of people buy a stock vehicle and spend a ton of money on modifying it several times over to wind up with something they like. Just some things to consider.
post #24 of 29 Old 12-01-2008, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Guys, thanks for the offer. I am close to buying but not ready to pull the trigger. Also, I am half way across the country in the Northeast...it would be a hell of a drive to see it.

Again, I appreciate the offer.
post #25 of 29 Old 12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Guys, thanks for the offer. I am close to buying but not ready to pull the trigger. Also, I am half way across the country in the Northeast...it would be a hell of a drive to see it.

Again, I appreciate the offer.
where are you located at?

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode