Chrysler Recalls Hood Latches - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Chrysler Recalls Hood Latches

Just read um, elsewhere, that those great guys at Chrysler have issued a recall for those wonderful Wrangler hood latches we've all complained about. YAHOO!! This just in............the recall only applies to 09s. WTF!!!!! I've only been complaining about this since I took delivery of my Jeep in early 07. Leave it to those a$$holes to minimize the problem. And Nardelli wonders why his company is on the verge of failure. I'll give him a hint. Poor quality and nonexistent customer service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Just read um, elsewhere, that those great guys at Chrysler have issued a recall for those wonderful Wrangler hood latches we've all complained about. YAHOO!! This just in............the recall only applies to 09s. WTF!!!!! I've only been complaining about this since I took delivery of my Jeep in early 07. Leave it to those a$$holes to minimize the problem. And Nardelli wonders why his company is on the verge of failure. I'll give him a hint. Poor quality and nonexistent customer service.
Do you have the TSB on this?

I'd like to see what the fix is
post #3 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 09:33 AM

If it's the exact same hood latch used on the '07 and '08, it has to cover all model years...cannot see how they could legally not cover the earlier years....but what the hey....more bad PR for Chrysler...I hope they all go bankrupt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 View Post
...I hope they all go bankrupt.
X2.
post #5 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
Do you have the TSB on this?

I'd like to see what the fix is
I don't have any specifics.............I'm just repeating what I heard elsewhere. Could be bull$hit for all I know. Like Dusty said, I can't see how they could do this for 09s only since (unless I'm mistaken) they all use the same latch.
post #6 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Rock God

IF THEY GO BANKRUPT.WHAT ABOUT ARE LIFETIME POWER TRAIN WARRANTY? I PUT ON THE DAYSTAR HOOD DOWNS.
post #7 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagsjeep View Post
IF THEY GO BANKRUPT.WHAT ABOUT ARE LIFETIME POWER TRAIN WARRANTY? I PUT ON THE DAYSTAR HOOD DOWNS.
Number one, it's not "if they go bankrupt", it's when. Number two, mine is an 07 and I don't have a lifetime warranty. Number three, they don't honor the warranty that I do have (thus the reason I hope they fail) and number four, I took the spring off and no longer have the hood lift problem, but it's the principal of the thing. They told me repeatedly that they couldn't duplicate the problem, then they told me it was normal, now they issue a recall......... Chrysler.

Last edited by skibum; 11-26-2008 at 11:03 AM.
post #8 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Rock God

As a newbie can you tell me about the problem with the hood latches...thanks

Ron - 2010 Wrangler JK Sport 4dr - Dark Charcoal
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post

The rubber band on the latches is just weak, so the hood will lift up a little bit when you are on the highway and it's windy or you pass a semi. It' snot like it flies up or anything, just bounces up an down. It does it more after you take off the factory air dam under the bumper. Putting Daystar's hood wranglers on it is cheap and easy. I think they are 25 bucks and take about 10 minutes to install.

Jason
post #10 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

Simple really............the rubber bands that hold the hood down are of insufficient strength to keep your hood from lifting up at speed, or in high winds (particularly crosswinds), or when being passed in the opposite direction by a large vehicle, or any combination of the above. Some do it worse than others. Mine initially did it so badly that the secondary latch (under the hood) actually dented the crossmember. I've heard of people whose hood bent.

NO BAILOUT FOR CHRYSLER........LET THE TERMINAL PATIENT DIE!

Last edited by skibum; 11-26-2008 at 11:36 AM.
post #11 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Hood bounce and lift at high speeds or with strong winds. It generally doesn't happen if you have a lot of rake (front sits lower).
post #12 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 11:20 AM
JKO Addict!

also... some people will remove the plastic air dam on the jeep, because its just cheap plastic. However, this causes more air turbalance and causes the hood to bounce even more. I had mine removed for a little bit and notice a drastic change in hood lift.

another fix that people have done is to ziptie the rubber bands to allow them to stretch less.
post #13 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Rock God

Once again I have learned something new

Won't be the last time !!!

I agree Chrysler is just another PITA big corporation but a lot of Americans feed their families because of them so I can't just say Chrysler.

Ron - 2010 Wrangler JK Sport 4dr - Dark Charcoal
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" Jimmy Buffet

post #14 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:

Once again I have learned something new

Won't be the last time !!!

I agree Chrysler is just another PITA big corporation but a lot of Americans feed their families because of them so I can't just say Chrysler.
Chrysler is too big to "just die". BUT, if we let them go into bankruptcy instead of bailing them out with taxpayer dollars, then their management would get flushed, the unions would be broken and MAYBE, just maybe they would emerge as a stronger, better company. Just my .02

post #15 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Granite Guru

I for one don't want to see Chrysler fail. They're a typical big company, but I seem glimmers every once in awhile that lead me to believe they are trying. And trust me, I'm not known for being an optimist.

This is a little off topic, but who I'd like to see fail is the bastard airlines. They can take their first bag fee (all but Southwest and Jet Blue do it now) and shove it where the sun don't shine!

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #16 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Agree totally on the airline thing. A lot of my friends are airline pilots (I'm an ex USAF pilot) and they tell horror stories about their management. Unfortunately, a lot of my family work for the big three (I'm originally from Michigan) and they tell stories that are worse. In my opinion, the Detroit business model has failed. They have continuously lost market share to Honda and Toyota while building dinosaurs that no one wants. What's worse is that the dinosaurs are poorly built and poorly supported. I'd love to see a GM, Ford or Chrysler that could compete on a world stage but it's not going to happen under the current business model and myopic management.

post #17 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Hood bounce and lift at high speeds or with strong winds. It generally doesn't happen if you have a lot of rake (front sits lower).
the vehicle sits stock that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
also... some people will remove the plastic air dam on the jeep, because its just cheap plastic. However, this causes more air turbalance and causes the hood to bounce even more. I had mine removed for a little bit and notice a drastic change in hood lift.

another fix that people have done is to ziptie the rubber bands to allow them to stretch less.
what amazes me is GROWN people think that if they change the characteristics of aerodynamics (lift and rake) and that change causes something like the hood to shake that it is a COMPANIES fault for that problem.

so should they replace my brake rotors and calipers since they don't stop my 35" SSRs as good as they stopped the stock tires? they need to change my gears and my front axle too.
post #18 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

For what it's worth, my stone stock 07 Unlimited (with the minivan tires, the air dam and the rake) did this like crazy. The hood lifted hard enough to damage the secondary latch and the crossmember. I even put video of it on youtube. Chrysler's response was 1) we can't duplicate your problem (until the service manager rode with me and it miraculously did it EVERY time a truck passed) then, 2) "that's normal" and finally, 3) recall for 09s. I say again......... Chrysler.

post #19 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTpusher View Post

what amazes me is GROWN people think that if they change the characteristics of aerodynamics (lift and rake) and that change causes something like the hood to shake that it is a COMPANIES fault for that problem.

so should they replace my brake rotors and calipers since they don't stop my 35" SSRs as good as they stopped the stock tires? they need to change my gears and my front axle too.
Hey now that's not really fair or accurate. I think they were pointing out that these things make it worse. It is still a real issue in stock form.

Our '08 (August 8,2008 delivery) was (and still is ) bone stock on our trip to New Mexico last fall. I had purchased one of the hood locks that go in the grill. Even with that in place, from Amarillo to Albuquerque I thought on several occasions that the wind was going to rip the hood completely off.

As soon as we got there I removed the hood spring and re-installed the lock using blue loctite on the screws as it had knocked them loose and pushed it over making it useless.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #20 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 02:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

whoa dude...back off man... you are sounding like a real a$$. My comment was from my experience with and without the plastic air damn. Calm down dude and have a beer
post #21 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:

To be fair, he has a point...I've noticed a few complaints that are more then likely a direct result of poorly thought out modifications and heavy abuse of the Jeep...in fact, the JK, more then any Jeep I've ever owned, is more susceptible to after the fact mods...statements like, "...my dealer sucks 'cause he won't warranty my dashboard elctronics after I did a little water fording...nothing on the dash, including my radio and my Gip won't work...my power windows won't work...Chrysler blows...." are common place on all these Jeep related forums, especially when it comes to the "high tech and high on gimmicks" JK...what some have left out is the part where the dealer finds several pounds of seaweed behind the dash, under the carpet, in the engine compartment....give the guy a break...
post #22 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum View Post
Number one, it's not "if they go bankrupt", it's when. Number two, mine is an 07 and I don't have a lifetime warranty. Number three, they don't honor the warranty that I do have (thus the reason I hope they fail) and number four, I took the spring off and no longer have the hood lift problem, but it's the principal of the thing. They told me repeatedly that they couldn't duplicate the problem, then they told me it was normal, now they issue a recall......... Chrysler.
I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN..I AM ONLY SAYING.IF NOT BACKING US UP ON THIS LITTLE THINGS, WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SOMETHING BIG TAKES A SH$T..I PAYED $30,000 FOR MY 08 RUBICON.HAD TO GO BUY STUIPED SH$T TO FIX THINGS WRIGHT..THERE THE
post #23 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

Its a poor design. Mine had the floppy hood on the way home from the stealership.

I didn't notice it get worse later on w/o the plastic air dam thing. It didn't get worse with rubber floor mats. It didn't get worse with QD's.

It did not get better removing the spring, although I know others who that worked for.

It did get better instantly when the Daystar hood wranglers went on though...as simply substituting a stronger elastic band solves the problem.

The OEM Hood Wranglers don't work, they're too weak.

Someone probably had a hood blow off on one of the '09's to get them to get off their asses and fix the problem.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #24 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Rock God

I have a 07 with 35's and leveled out the rake... I live in Colorado and have been on the highest passes here with amazing crosswinds and yeah it moves a bit when the wind hits it, but not like other people have had complaints.. Guess I got a good one!

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #25 of 89 Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

Mine has bounced a bit at Highway speed and when I pass a big-a$$ truck or two. Makes my butt pucker a bit but really doesn't bother me that much. It's kind of exciting wondering when the hood will fly up and I'll have to look out my side window to drive. My CJ use to do the same thing with it's metal hook hold down things. Guess I just got use to it, kinda like roof leaks. It's a Jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode