sway bar disconnect bypass ? ?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

sway bar disconnect bypass ? ??

Im looking for the sway bar disconnect bypass modification.
Has anyone done this or seen a write up on it?
Im stareing @ the wiring diagram and it seems as if it will be similiar to doing the lockers and making a switched ground... can anyone verify this procedure?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I haven't looked and don't know the answer but I can offer this.

I busted up one of my sway bar arms on a trail and just disconnected it then zip tied the one side up. I effectively had a permanently disconnected sway bar.

Is there a reason to permanently disconnect the sway bar? I kind of like mine.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It needs to still work (engage/disengage) but the way they are set from the factory is that they only disconnect in low range...... by bypassing you could disconnect in high or low...... similiar to doing the locker mod..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty1007 View Post
It needs to still work (engage/disengage) but the way they are set from the factory is that they only disconnect in low range...... by bypassing you could disconnect in high or low...... similiar to doing the locker mod..
But why would you? I know when I'm rock crawling and need it I'm in low range and if I'm fireroading or other faster activities I want it working.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbeddow View Post
But why would you? I know when I'm rock crawling and need it I'm in low range and if I'm fireroading or other faster activities I want it working.
It depends on what you are doing, what springs and shocks you are running etc. In the dezert I always liked it uncoupled, in the dunes I used to leave mine connected.

there are lots of variables to be considered.

Shaffers OffRoad Rocks!

Other Companies that have treated me right!
Poly Performance
Rubicon Express
Trailready
Novak Adapters
Mastercraft
Centerforce
Dynatrac
and KC Hilites
post #6 of 11 Old 10-23-2007, 06:44 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Quote:
Ah ok, For some reason I thought you were looking for a permanent disconnect. So basically you need to find out whatever voltage or ground is coming from the t-case and going to the sway bar sensor. Then not use that wire but instead provide your own with the proper voltage or ground condition that allows the relay in the sway bar disconnect to disconnect.

Where are you looking at the wiring diagram? What manual and what page? Can you post a scan of it? I too have the fleet service manuals so I could take a look.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
The sway bar will disconnect in either 4 high or 4 low.

I don't think you can do some kind of bypass to simply connect/disconnect the sway bar with a switch like you can with the lockers. You can do this to the lockers because there are relays that provide power to the lockers in locked mode and you can just override these relays. The logic controlling the sway bar is contained in the sway bar motor assembly and it communicates with the ECU using the CAN-BUS system.

You could do the transfer case position override with a simple switch to make the ECU think the transfer case is in 4 low. This allows both the sway bar and the lockers to work all the time and turns off ESP.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Gib
Rock God

I don't remember if it was on jeepforum or jeepsunlimited, but a guy bought a new swaybar from the dealership and wired it to work with his TJ. He had all the wiring figured out in that thread.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Granite Guru

Try this - http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/JKLockerHacks.php - they say this will let the lockers and the disconnect work in 2 and 4Hi.

WHEN in DOUBT, GAS-IT !

EARTH FIRST! We'll JEEP the other planets later!
post #10 of 11 Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks, I was looking @ doing some kind of switch for a temp. bypass. A 3- pole switch with the proper resistance possibly would do for now so as not to affect the factory settings.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
I busted up one of my sway bar arms on a trail and just disconnected it then zip tied the one side up. I effectively had a permanently disconnected sway bar.
I did the same thing, horseshoed the passenger side link. Managed to bash/bend it straight on the bumper of an old Montero
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode