Evap Can - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Evap Can

I am wondering if i should buy a kit to move the Evap Can or just buy a skid plate to protect it. Also does anyone know where the can is moved and is it easy to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Some guys have expressed concern of voiding warranty of related parts if relocating the evap canister, but it can be done fairly easily if needed. There are companies that make skids for it, but how well they protect it...dunno. I believe that Rockhard (and Benchmark Designs- a vendor on this forum) are making skids for the evap can as well. Maybe this info will help.

To relocate- You might consider Woods... www.JeepSWAG.com

Or for a DIY write-up...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171
post #3 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Granite Guru

Relocate it. Even if you skid it, you're still leaving something to get caught on things. I've heard of them getting ripped off, but I haven't heard of them taking a direct hit from below.

All of the kits I know about relocate it above the rear axle. There's plenty of room up there even on a stock JK.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Granite Guru

Options for relocate:
  • Woods -- mounted to bracket
  • Kilby -- relocated and skid
  • Die-Tech Offroad (new company) -- relocated and skid
  • DIY

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #5 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 06:16 AM
Rock God

Ok so.... how do folks rip off the evap canister? Seriously. I have wheeled the crap out of my stock 4 door, dented skids up, beat the rock rails but yet the evap is still untouched. I never had the issue with the last JK, small lift and 35's, and no one scratch on the evap yet beat the skids all up....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #6 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Rock God

You'll be better off by relocating it...

I've ripped mine off 2 times, then relocated it..

I went with the DIY kit.. spent about $10. and about 2 hrs labor.

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 11:57 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
Ok so.... how do folks rip off the evap canister? Seriously. I have wheeled the crap out of my stock 4 door, dented skids up, beat the rock rails but yet the evap is still untouched. I never had the issue with the last JK, small lift and 35's, and no one scratch on the evap yet beat the skids all up....
With the way it attaches, its actually pretty easy to knock it off. I've even seen it a couple times, haha. If you hit it from the front, it will slide the mounting bracket that it attaches to right off.

Jason
post #8 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 12:24 PM

If you rip off your evap cannister, there's a good chance you have a lot worse goin' on down below...that said, no need to spend a bunch of money, and waste time relocating the cannister...Skidrow has the answer...

Last edited by Dustoff '68; 01-15-2009 at 12:43 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 01:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
You're just not trying hard enough.

2007 JK Rubicon
post #10 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Rock God

I dont know. I wheeled all around Tellico this past weekend... took some dents on the rails, a nice dent in the gas tank skid, some dings on the oil pan skid, came close to high center once yet nothing on the Evap. The last JK I really wheeled and still had no damage on it. Truth be told I will still probably do a skid (thanks for the pic Dustoff) sooner or later.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #11 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Ok so.... how do folks rip off the evap canister?
You really have to get up on the perfect sized rock or stump to do it. I've wheeled around Katemcy and other rocky steambeds, and never touched mine...but that perfect "hit" will probably rip it right off. I guess the skid would work to protect it but I feel like a really hard hit especially with the weight of the Unlimited would do some damage as well. Maybe not.
post #12 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 03:21 PM

what happens if u just take it off?
post #13 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Not positive, but surely it would send a "bad code" and possibly cause warranty concerns. I would not completely remove it, unless someone has done it and deems it safe...Even then- I personally don't think I'd do it.
post #14 of 30 Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Granite Guru

Another aspect to consider when you relocate. Sure, you move the canister up out of the way, but now you've opened up a giant void under the Jeep that a stump or rock can get stuck in and jam up against your rear axle. A smooth undercarriage will keep this from happening.

Check out our website for details on our skid. Should be shipping in about 3-4 weeks.

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #15 of 30 Old 11-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Granite Guru

I vote relocate as well. I smashed the crap outta mine at the 'Con and broke the can, the valve, and wasted the seal. It was not that expensive (shockingly) from the dealer to replace. I think I was in it for around 50-60 bucks for all of it. I bought the Woods kit and am 100% happy with it. Very easy, took about an hour and it's well out of the way now. Leaves room for a muffler if I decide to go with it or (more likely) and air tank that can take a hit if I knock a rock under there.
I did drive it around for a couple weeks without when I smashed it and got a check engine light and FUEL CAP came up across the odometer. Nothing else that I noticed.

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.
post #16 of 30 Old 11-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Granite Guru

I think putting a skid on something that shouldn't even be there is silly. If you relocate it you will see how the can is held on; it's only three small tabs. If you damage it you go into limp home mod and lose power (depending on where you are that could be a problem).

I used the new RockHard relocation bracket and it was easy to do. JK's are heavy and adding the weight of a skid when there is a better method makes no sense - unless you're selling skids. Look at it this way - when you relocate it your rear axle is your skid.
post #17 of 30 Old 11-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you damage it you go into limp home mod and lose power
Mine didn't.

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.
post #18 of 30 Old 11-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Wheeler

Mine got ripped off yesterday on the JKs first trail ride.
I was with 6 others, some Modded, some not.
I was shocked to be stopped and told by the guy behind that I was draggin something.
I had followed 3 others thru a shallow hole (about 8 - 10 inches of water) that had 1/2 inch of ice on it.
I guess the ice pieces had wedged up and pushed the canister back and off the tabs.
Unfortunately the canister was cracked and one of the fittings for a hose had broken off.
I drove it another 3 hours, and then about 70 miles to get home, with no engine light or loss of power.
Guess the dealer won't be too interested in replacing the EVAP under warranty even though it was a really wimpy puddle that did the damage.
post #19 of 30 Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunes View Post
Mine got ripped off yesterday on the JKs first trail ride.
I was with 6 others, some Modded, some not.
I was shocked to be stopped and told by the guy behind that I was draggin something.
I had followed 3 others thru a shallow hole (about 8 - 10 inches of water) that had 1/2 inch of ice on it.
I guess the ice pieces had wedged up and pushed the canister back and off the tabs.
Unfortunately the canister was cracked and one of the fittings for a hose had broken off.
I drove it another 3 hours, and then about 70 miles to get home, with no engine light or loss of power.
Guess the dealer won't be too interested in replacing the EVAP under warranty even though it was a really wimpy puddle that did the damage.
Sorry to hear that, the good news is tat it isn't expensive. Both parts, the evap can and the white part with the fittings on it, are under 75 bucks.

Jason
post #20 of 30 Old 11-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Sorry to hear that, the good news is tat it isn't expensive. Both parts, the evap can and the white part with the fittings on it, are under 75 bucks.
Which begs the question, why spend Xhundred bucks to protect it
Spend less than 75 bucks and carry a spare
post #21 of 30 Old 11-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
Which begs the question, why spend Xhundred bucks to protect it
Spend less than 75 bucks and carry a spare
I think the Woods relocation kit is the way to go. It's about the same price as replacing it once, and you will never have to worry about it again. Jeep should have put it there in the first place.

Jason
post #22 of 30 Old 11-23-2008, 01:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i broke mine and the dealer fixed it for free, ive thne since moved it and put a muffler whereit used to be

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #23 of 30 Old 12-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
I think the Woods relocation kit is the way to go. It's about the same price as replacing it once, and you will never have to worry about it again. Jeep should have put it there in the first place.
I used Wood's relo kit. No problems at all and it's nice and safe tucked away from any harm.
post #24 of 30 Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 PM
JKO Addict!

You know its very easy to just move it without a "kit".

|
|
post #25 of 30 Old 12-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
i broke mine and the dealer fixed it for free, ive thne since moved it and put a muffler whereit used to be
I've seen this before, and I can't understand the logic. If something managed to get up high enough to tear off your evap can why put something in its palce that hangs lower, and more vunerable? I mean if the evap can which sits flush with the underbody needs to be moved or protected, whats the logic in moving it and replacing it with a muffler? My evap can has a little chunk missing form a rock strike or something. I hate to think what a my muffler would have looked like had it been there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode