Gas line easment Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Gas line easment Question

Today I was out in rural PA and saw a major gas pipe line (at least 100 ft wide) there was no gate so I drove down it (in first gear!!!!). This dude rides up in a four wheeler and starts yelling at me and takes a pic of my license plate. He says it's posted and I could get fined $300. It's up a road I have lived on most of my life, so I say OK.....Sorry, I guess I'll have to pay it.

My question is, isn't a gas line a public easment. We ride snowmobiles on them in the winter all the time. I was totally cool with the guy and if i'm wrong then oh well. Let me know if you know, not what you think.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Rock God

From the powerline dealings here in the south we have found the easement is usually with a private land. Like my grandparents have a farm, own the land but the power company has an easement to run power lines through a section of it. Doesn't make this area public because of the easement, just gives the power company the right to come and go.

Best bet when out wheeling, if you don't know the owner, its not an ORV park or county/city road, or you do not have written permission to be there then steer clear of it. Better safe than sorry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #3 of 5 Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Granite Guru

Those easements are with the property owner only. The property owner still owns the land, and can post it, the utility has just purchased the right to place their facilities there.

07 JK Unlimited X - 24s, Soft, Auto, 4:10's, Saraha 18's. OME Springs and Shocks, JKS Front and Rear Adj. Bars, JKS Disco's, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Mopar Trail Guide.

01 WJ Limited -- Gone to make room for JK Unlimited!

01 TJ for me and my son-----BYE BYE TJ see you on the trails someday....

.__0_0_0_0
[l_,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Rock God

I have a gasline easement through my property. It simply gives the gas company control over that part of the land.... they don't own it, I still do. But they can remove any trees, dig, spray or whatever without consent. It's trespassing on private property if you venture there.

I also have a power easement that includes water and phone, it's virtually the same.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

thanks

thanks, I was really appologetic with the guy. So I guess if I get fined, I pay, I'm in the wrong. Just somewhere I have grown up and was curious, but absolutly wrong. Oh well, live and learn. People have done worse things I guess. At least I didn't get out of first gear. Got a good pic though....LOL

Last edited by hitbombs; 11-13-2008 at 06:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode