standard or auto? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 11-09-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

standard or auto?

Shopping this week and the 4door JK is on my list. Plan would be 2.5 Terraflex and 35s. Whats the best driveline stock combo as I don't want to mess with gearing etc while its on warranty.
Any issues with the standard tranny set up? Thinking the Rubicon with the standard and 4:10s might be the most fun?
It would be mainly a pavement pounder with some odd offroading but no hard core rock crawling or anything like I see many of you doing.

With a 3:73 Auto work ok with the 35s?

Any other options to be considered must haves? (if possible)
Any pro and con feedback on JK factory set ups and options would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 11-09-2008, 03:04 PM

manual with 4.10s and 35s is the way to go without reggearing
post #3 of 39 Old 11-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't do 3.73's with 35's and an auto. I don't even think I would do 3.73's with 35's and a standard, that is just too many RPMs....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 11-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Rock God

I did an auto with 4.10's and 35's and it wasnt great, not horrible but can imagine it with 3.73

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #5 of 39 Old 11-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Rock God

Depends on the terrain where you live. I think my Unlimited auto (w/4.10s) on 32s is a gutless pig. But I live in very hilly terrain. FWIW, I also think the 42RLE is a complete POS. I'm now on my third torque convertor (as are a few others I know) and Chrysler continues to insist that the tranny is fine. Wish I'd bought a six speed.
post #6 of 39 Old 11-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome to JKO....

07 Jeep Unlimited,Rescue Green,Hardtop,Auto,18" Pro Comp Wheels,Pro comp tires and 3" Black Diamond Lift
Red Rock Fab.Pre-runner winch bumper,Superwinch EPI9.0,KC lights
post #7 of 39 Old 11-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Rock God

For the most part it is simply going to be preference. Both transmissions will work fine.

I have always prefered a stick in my Jeeps, but bought an Auto this time because its a 4 door. Currently running 35s/4:10 and it is acceptable. Something about a 6 speed in a 4 door vehicle seemed odd to me. Plus I think reselling it later may go better with the auto.

post #8 of 39 Old 11-10-2008, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback

Hoping the test drives will be the deciding factor on whether I want one and which one. The auto with the fancy nav system is pretty much the same price as the Rubi with a stick. I agree on the resale but I'm not really concerned with that as it will hopefully be a keeper, I also agree that the stick on a 4x4 is a little weird but keep in mind there are a lot of 4 door sedans running them.
post #9 of 39 Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

To each his own. I prefer the manual as it gives the jeep a little more ground clearance, and you have a little more flexibility when in 4 low to start in whatever gear feels better. Sometimes 1st is just too low for the type of terrain or situation. I thought also that the auto has a sort of "delayed throttle input" as well, although not really sure about that. Again- To each his own, I guess.
post #10 of 39 Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Rock God

Welcome to the forum...

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 39 Old 11-10-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMAN View Post
Welcome to the forum...
Thanks, do you have a the standard or auto with your 2.5", 305 set up?
post #12 of 39 Old 11-12-2008, 06:56 PM

I bought the auto and yes I have noticed the throttle delay! WTF is up with that? I also notice a delay with starting, a second after the key is turned the jeep will start???? But I like the idea of not changing gears, it's not like a sports car with paddle shifters for a BIG fun factor.
post #13 of 39 Old 11-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Not sure about either delay (in the starting or in the acceleration/ engage). I read something a while back about the automatic...That some felt like you had to really "gas it" when on hills or certain kinds of terrain, to get the rpm's up and then it would kind of "launch" or rev causing the driver to have to immed apply the brakes. Not really sure about the truth to any of this or validity of the comments. I just know that a friend of mine has an auto and when wheeling this past wknd, I heard his engine rev up like he was fixing to run us all over. It was in a sort of off-camber section where I believe he needed some xtra torque to keep from sliding sideways, and I think he had a wheel or two off the ground. Not too sure about the exact conditions, but [man] I thought he was gonna launch that JK hard. It sounds like maybe a throttle return spring or something is needed. Maybe he just hit it too hard, or his foot slipped, but I don't think so.
post #14 of 39 Old 11-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I read something a while back about the automatic...That some felt like you had to really "gas it" when on hills or certain kinds of terrain, to get the rpm's up and then it would kind of "launch" or rev. Not really sure about the truth to any of this or validity of the comments.
Absolutely accurate.
post #15 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

I have an 85 CJ7 with a stick and 105:1 crawl ratio. Love it. Then I bought a Formula Toyota with an automatic. Love it even more for crawling. I expecially appreciate it going up very steep areas and crawling in very big rocks. When I bought my JK, I bought the auto. Love it.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota
post #16 of 39 Old 11-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

To me I prefer the NSG-370 to the 42RLE. But that is the only extent of my preference. As far as automatics go... I would take an auto TH350, TH400, TH700 R4, or TorqueFlite 999.
post #17 of 39 Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 AM
Granite Guru

I hate my auto with sub-33's and 3.73. The auto is wretched.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #18 of 39 Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

well

I bought an 08 Sahara Unlimited with 3:73s and an auto. Ordered a 3" Zone lift and 315/70/17s on Black HeloMax Rims and suspect 5:13s are in the near future.
post #19 of 39 Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
I read something a while back about the automatic...That some felt like you had to really "gas it" when on hills or certain kinds of terrain, to get the rpm's up and then it would kind of "launch" or rev causing the driver to have to immed apply the brakes. Not really sure about the truth to any of this or validity of the comments.
I've done some pretty steep hill climbs and never had any issues with the auto.

The only problem I've seen with the auto is when you get at a real steep angle on an incline the ATF sits too far back in the tranny pan and it will not pick up for a second or two. As more ATF gets pumped around it seems to cure itself.

For rocks an auto is hard to beat. For general off-road terrain it's personal choice.
post #20 of 39 Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Granite Guru

IMHO, Auto all the way have done both, auto makes obstacles especially climbing so much easier to negotiate.

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #21 of 39 Old 11-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Rock God

If you have very low tcase gears manual is fine, if you have a stock tcase, auto all the way.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
post #22 of 39 Old 11-20-2008, 02:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Auto with GEARS 5:13's

Never an issue, note never set off tranny alarm either.
post #23 of 39 Old 11-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
... never set off tranny alarm either.

What is that a 45 year old man in a dress blowing a rape whistle?

post #24 of 39 Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post throttle return spring

Quote:
Not sure about either delay (in the starting or in the acceleration/ engage). I read something a while back about the automatic...That some felt like you had to really "gas it" when on hills or certain kinds of terrain, to get the rpm's up and then it would kind of "launch" or rev causing the driver to have to immed apply the brakes. Not really sure about the truth to any of this or validity of the comments. I just know that a friend of mine has an auto and when wheeling this past wknd, I heard his engine rev up like he was fixing to run us all over. It was in a sort of off-camber section where I believe he needed some xtra torque to keep from sliding sideways, and I think he had a wheel or two off the ground. Not too sure about the exact conditions, but [man] I thought he was gonna launch that JK hard. It sounds like maybe a throttle return spring or something is needed. Maybe he just hit it too hard, or his foot slipped, but I don't think so.
Unlikely.... It is electronic or as it is sometimes called drive by wire..... No real cable or linkage from the peddle.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #25 of 39 Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Manual, I still have nightmares about a lions back scenario when I head down Moab Rim, or any trail where I'm pointed to a shear cliff. You won't have that happen with a stick.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode