Water make 3.8 go boom - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Water make 3.8 go boom

Well I was having some fun out here at Prarie City after the first big rain we got here, and grenaded my engine Went through a little puddle at a moderate speed (yeah it was pretty big and I may have been going a little too fast) and the Jeep died as I exited the puddle, with Jeep blood leaking from a hole in the block.

Had it towed to the dealership and have been quoted 5600 to replace the engine. So Im selling my bike to raise some of the money but anyway, what do you all think I should do?

Thats a whole lot of cash to pay for a little trip throgh a puddle. Is there anyone that does Hemi conversions for that much or any other suggestions?

I just cant stand thinking about having to pay that much money and not upgrade.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 11-06-2008, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Oh and just to add, I already paid off the Jeep and so I dont have full coverage to make an insurance claim and the dealer says nothing is under warranty because water was the cause.

post #3 of 35 Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Rock God

wait you paid the jeep off, and took it off full insruance coverage??

is that right???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Wheeler

Call Burnsville Offroad. I was told when they pull out the old engines they are worth almost nothing and that they have of pile of them down there. I bet you could buy one from them for almost the cost of shipping and then just pay for the install or do it yourself.

Medsker
post #5 of 35 Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Rock God

You might be able to find a used stock engine from one of the conversion companies. If i remember right, they were giving them away this time last year.

----------------
Now playing: Courtney Love - Dirty Girls
via FoxyTunes
post #6 of 35 Old 11-06-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Cool I will look into those and yes jeepik, I didnt "full coverage" the Jeep because atm Im unemployed and cant really afford to untill I get a job. . . . . yeah its biting me.

post #7 of 35 Old 11-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Garage

Hemi off ebay.

Snorkel.
post #8 of 35 Old 11-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
Hemi off ebay.

Snorkel.
ebay item 200271432296
crated 5.7 hemi bin $3650

aev's conversion kit costs more

----------------
Now playing: KMFDM - Don't Blow Your Top (Adrian Sherwood Mix)
via FoxyTunes
post #9 of 35 Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by medsker View Post
Call Burnsville Offroad. I was told when they pull out the old engines they are worth almost nothing and that they have of pile of them down there. I bet you could buy one from them for almost the cost of shipping and then just pay for the install or do it yourself.

Medsker
I recently had to replace my engine as well. I called Burnsville. I was amazed how cheap he was selling them for. Like said before, basically giving them away.

I eneded up having mine replaced by my insurance.

Good luck!
post #10 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Go HEMI!!! My girls's full size truck on 35's (ungeared) has the Hemi....that thing moves. Anybody know the weight difference of the stock motor vs the v8? I know adding a winch sunk down my front end pretty good, also, may have to look into some stronger drive shafts to take on the extra power. Just some ideas. Oh, one other idea lol, I'd check on snorkle prices to

Good hearing of you since the Afghanistan daze..... Hard to believe it's another winter already.

Last edited by stonewhitejeep; 11-11-2008 at 04:05 PM.
post #11 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewhitejeep View Post
Go HEMI!!! My girls's full size truck on 35's (ungeared) has the Hemi....that thing moves. Anybody know the weigh differance of the stock motor vs the v8? I know adding a winch sunk down my front end pretty good, also may have to look into some stronger drive shafts to take on the extra power. Just some ideas. Oh, one other idea lol, I'd check on snorkle prices to
If i'm not mistaken, the hemi airbox hooks up different from stock, so any snorkel you pair up with it would have to be a custom jobby.
post #12 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 PM
JKowners Vendor

If you had a job, I'd say Hemi. Since you say you don't, a used replacement is a much better option. We have a couple in the shop at Teraflex Plus in Salt Lake from doing Hemi conversions (one ingested water like yours, at least one other is in good shape) and I'm sure Burnsville has a lot more that that--we're just closer to you, so shipping might be easier between Utah and Sac.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Granite Guru

Check your PM's

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.
post #14 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

Just for the record/calibration assistance for newbies...

Did you have a CAI (K&N, etc...?) on your intake, or did it do this with the stock air box?

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #15 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 PM

Is the JK engine THAT delicate...I thought it was supposed to be offroad capable...water fording, or did I imagine that in the advertising????
post #16 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 View Post
Is the JK engine THAT delicate...I thought it was supposed to be offroad capable...water fording, or did I imagine that in the advertising????
LOL

Hence the stock air box vs CAI question.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #17 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 View Post
I don't think it's strictly a 3.8 thing, no engine likes ingesting water. This does seem to be becoming a bit common though, so I'm wondering if the intake somehow scoops water in--even though it's nice and high. (or like TEEJ said, it's the CAI systems)

FWIW, the JK in the shop right now getting a Hemi had a stock airbox when he hydrolocked his 3.8.

801-713-3314
post #18 of 35 Old 11-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

Went on a night ride w/ ~10 JKs and a TJ. Stock JKs and a very stock TJ made it through water/mud holes that a lifted JK did not make it through (hydrolocked). He had a CAI.

Subjective data - but I think that's why TEEJ asked.

post #19 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post
Went on a night ride w/ ~10 JKs and a TJ. Stock JKs and a very stock TJ made it through water/mud holes that a lifted JK did not make it through (hydrolocked). He had a CAI.

How fast did the lifted guy go through? I'm imagining the stocker guys carefully waded through, and the big/bad/indestructible lifted guy charged through at 40MPH......

801-713-3314
post #20 of 35 Old 11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
I don't think it's strictly a 3.8 thing, no engine likes ingesting water. This does seem to be becoming a bit common though, so I'm wondering if the intake somehow scoops water in--even though it's nice and high. (or like TEEJ said, it's the CAI systems)

FWIW, the JK in the shop right now getting a Hemi had a stock airbox when he hydrolocked his 3.8.

I think you are right. I have been in water many times and understand speed and depth and to not get water in the intake. When I killed my engine, I was in water that reached the top of my 35's. I was not going fast. There was a guy that watched me kill it and he agreed that it was strange that I ingested water at the speed I was going. After staring at it for a while I came to the conclusion that the fan must have taken an unlucky splash. If you look, there is so much open space between the fan an the engine, you can see how it could spray some water upwards to the hood. If you look at the shape of the hood, it is a perfect curve right down to...yep, you guessed it. That stupid little intake on the airbox. If you look, you can easily see how water would follow the curve of the hood right into it. I think that is what happened to me. I think that is the reason so many Jeeps are having this issue. Possibly that combined with so many first time Jeep owners as well. I think I will put some large diameter hose into the side of the airbox that tucks away somewhere or even just one of those water sock deals for CAI's over the end of it.

Oh well, lesson learned. My words are, steer clear of water in the JK. I was driving slow in 3 feet of water and had to buy a new engine. It could happen to you as well
post #21 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 AM
Wheeler

Since the fan is electric, why not just put a kill switch on the dash- with a big red light to remind you to turn it back on after your out...
post #22 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM
LSM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnuvore View Post

I completed a couple of water crossing with a completely stock Rubi and had the water splashing over the hood. I admit, I had horseshoes in special places, but I was slow through the water and had no issues. Not that I really want to push my luck again.

ME
08 Rubicon Unlimited / জীপ্ Green / 6 Speed..
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
post #23 of 35 Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
How fast did the lifted guy go through? I'm imagining the stocker guys carefully waded through, and the big/bad/indestructible lifted guy charged through at 40MPH......
I dunno. He was about 3 or 4 Jeeps behind me (I was lead) when he did it. But he couldnt have gone too fast, we were pretty bunched up on a narrow WMA swamp road. His CAI was soaking wet. Pulled his plugs and 2 of the 6 had H20 sitting in it.

Lesson learend for him I suppose.

We were having a good time until then. We actually found some sort of Kia Sportage I think it was stuck out in that god awful swamp w/ his 2wd truck buddy trying to push him out via his front bumper. We winched them out and they tried to follow us instead of going back!

I think they finally turned back and I am positive they got stuck again.

post #24 of 35 Old 11-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Granite Guru

Talking

Yeah - I asked because it seems that everyone with a CAI is more vulnerable to getting the filter splashed, and, once that happens, the water is delivered right into the engine. I've seen TOO MANY hydrolocks with CAI's, and spent countless hours drying cone filters on engine blocks/manifolds, etc...to get people back out of the boonies.

I DO enjoy the giant gush of water that shoots up from the spark plug holes after pulling the plugs and hand cranking the engine though.

I have a dash cut-out installed on my other rig just to prevent water crossing fan blade splash, and I ALSO have a snorkel, AND have also Si'd the entire electrical system, etc.

The "splash shields" some CAI come with are all but worthless it seems...as they are designed to take cold air/water from the bow direction anyway.

I haven't done much water in the JK, as its my wife's DD, and when we off road it, its on rocks mostly....but the curve of the hood/laminar flow effect decribed seems very likely, and would explain many of the hydrolocks described.

Perhaps a baffle on the underside of the hood, to break the laminar flow/prevent this flow from heading straight into the intake would be a good idea at a minimum.

I'll take a look at it and see what makes sense.

- TEEJ

post #25 of 35 Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
Perhaps a baffle on the underside of the hood, to break the laminar flow/prevent this flow from heading straight into the intake would be a good idea at a minimum.

I'll take a look at it and see what makes sense.

I was thinking the same thing, kinda,

I was first thinking some sort of shield that attatched either to the hood or airbox that shut off that path when the hood was closed.

Then I started thinking maybe I will just install some sort of hose that attched over that intake horn and tuck the other end away someplace that shouldn't take a direct hit. POssibly even cover the end of that hose with one of those water resistent socks that are made for CAI's.

I am at work right now but, any ideas of a good dry place to tuck the other end of the hose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode