Gas Prices vs Road Trip Fun in the Jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Gas Prices vs Road Trip Fun in the Jeep

So I am already thinking about summer vacation with regards to my 08 JK. I usually fly out to Tucson AZ for a week to see my dad and sister but this year I am itching to drive it. This is the problem, Nashville TN to Tucson AZ = 2 days of 12 hr driving. I want to take the scenic path through New Mexico. So is it worth the money spent in gas/hotel versus a plane ticket? At 2.35 PPG, sounds tempting but that price will be triple by the beginning of June 2009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Just one guy's opinion but, I really feel that life should be enjoyed as much as we possibly can. If you have the extra time, why not try to plan a trip. I know that with screaming kids in the back seat that it may not prove to be as relaxing, however if you are solo, the journey may prove very invigorating and even rewarding. I like the aspect of planning a trip and then maing it happen. Even if the route or conditions change, it will likely be very fun...Even the challenges of a road trip can be it's own reward. Think about some scenic or camping opportunities along the way. I would never trade any road trips that I have ever taken for a quick, mundane flight on a plane. I personally have had my "ultimate road trip" mapped out for several years now...from Texas through Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, to Canada and back. This trip is supposed to take one month (up to two- depending on the time spent at each stop and any side trips)...and although I doubt it will ever happen, it was great fun to plan and to dream about. Depending on how much time you want to allow to spend with the family, and how much time you have overall...I say "GO FOR IT!" Life is too short not to enjoy yourself when you can. Good luck.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned

Gas is going to be $7.05/gallon in June? Holy Moly. Take your vacation NOW!!!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 04:58 AM
Granite Guru

We drive from FL to WV twice a year. 11-13 hours each way. We could fly it for $300 this year, but we are still gonna drive. We would just rather take our time and stop where we want. We take the wifes car with the built in DVD so my son is in heaven, but I'd take the JK! It may be getting DVD screens soon anyway.

07 JK Unlimited X - 24s, Soft, Auto, 4:10's, Saraha 18's. OME Springs and Shocks, JKS Front and Rear Adj. Bars, JKS Disco's, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Mopar Trail Guide.

01 WJ Limited -- Gone to make room for JK Unlimited!

01 TJ for me and my son-----BYE BYE TJ see you on the trails someday....

.__0_0_0_0
[l_,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)
post #5 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Rock God

I say drive. Stub got it right for me, explore the county some and see the sights. I too am planning a road trip to the Rubicon Trail in CA with a detour in Yellowstone up in Wyoming along the way from Atlanta, GA. It is set for summer 2010 currently and man I canít wait. Some people have said why not fly out and rent a jeep or get a company to ship my Jeep and my answer is why? I have never been further west than New Orleans and I got a lot of country to see along the way. I will probably do some research and find some campgrounds along the way with a shower that way I can avoid some nights of paying hotel cost and pay a cheap camp site fee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #6 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Granite Guru

I drive from Beaumont to Tuscon twice a year, christmas and summer. Summer we usually take a few days and have a mini vacation going to amusement parks in either San Antonio or Dallas. One year we went to Carlsbad Caverns, WORTH the drive alone!

I just got the Jeep this year and we usually take the 7 seater SUV (their are 5 of us traveling) but I'd like to take the Jeep because there are so many trails out there.

I say if you have the time, do it! This country really has alot to offer even in places you'd think never do

-One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Rock God

i'd rather fly than spend that much time in a vehicle....even if it is a jeep.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 PM
Granite Guru

Drive it!
We went from north Georgia to Mt Rushmore to Glacier to Banff to Jasper to Glacier to Yellowstone to Rockie Mountain National Park (and then home) back in July.
7300 miles in 17 days. Only $1500 in gas....
But the memories are priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr63wj1-jTw

Safety fast,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Get to know
post #9 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnaught6 View Post
i'd rather fly than spend that much time in a vehicle....even if it is a jeep.
With that thunk you have I am not surprised.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #10 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Drive it!
We went from north Georgia to Mt Rushmore to Glacier to Banff to Jasper to Glacier to Yellowstone to Rockie Mountain National Park (and then home) back in July.

That's really cool- Part of my planned "Ultimate Road Trip" goes through all of those places (except N. Georgia)...up to Jasper/ Banff and then back down into the states. That must have been one awesome vacation!
post #11 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Rock God

I spent better than $4.50 per gallon (US) to spend eight days in Nova Scotia this summer. Pricey? Yes. But it was the most fun the wife and I have had in years. I say, go for it. The bills fade but the memories last forever.
post #12 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 05:30 PM
14ers

Even if it costs more the road trip is worth it. Ask my 3 teenagers - the best vacas are the roadtrips. Usually 2 weeks of as many dirt roads as possible. NO FREEWAYS !! Let them choose places to check out. Make it a family effort. Be flexible.

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #13 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Granite Guru

i have actually made close to that drive in a jeep...from davis monthan afb to little rock afb...close enough to where you are headed. its actually not a bad drive....its alot of the same stuff but its nice.
post #14 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Heck i drove 3200 miles 2 weeks ago in 1 weeks time. Great exciting fun..

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #15 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah, I am going to tell him when I fly out for Christmas. Never really thought about the camping option so tons of money saved there. How about the drive through NM, anyone have any good ideas for scenic routes?
post #16 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Drive it!

Man, I really like the last song on your vid. Sounds like....ahhh, cant remember his name but he did "Convoy" back in the 70s. Great vid by the way, looks like you guys had fun.
post #17 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
With that thunk you have I am not surprised.
if i could get rid of the damn thunk, then it would be a hell of a lot nicer trip!
post #18 of 23 Old 11-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Assuming you would be taking I-40 into Albuquerque NM...
You could then pick up I-25 south into Socorro NM.
From there take 60 west through (very scenic) Magdalena Mts/ Gallinus Mts/ Datil Mts- through (more scenic) Cibola Nat. Forest.
Then you could take St. Rt. 12 for a very beautiful drive through the Mangas Mts and through the Apache Sitgreaves Nat. Forest.
Then pick up HW 180 into Silver City NM.
Take 90 south/ west to Lordsburg NM.
There you would pick up I-10 and take it straight on into Tucson.

You could also (instead of taking SR 12)...stay on 60 into Edgar AZ (another scenic drive).
There you could either pick up HW 191 south all the way to I-10 (then head west into Tucson).
...Or you could stay on 60 and go through the Fort Apache Indian Reservation all the way to Florence Junction AZ...(also very scenic).
There you would pick up HW 79 straight into Tucson.

*If you do any of that - Please be sure to try and camp and be prepared to take lots of pictures. Just let me know if you need some names of camping spots/ State Parks/ National Parks. Glad to help.
post #19 of 23 Old 11-04-2008, 09:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great advice guys My wifes brother lives in Corrales, NM. We flew out to visit in '04 then took a 2100 mile ten day tour of NM and AZ in the rental car.

My oldest step son and daughter-in-law moved out there two years ago and spent a while in bro's house before finding a place to buy. They are somewhere south of Albuquerque now. We haven't been out to see them in the new house yet, but we drove out last October to visit while they were still in Corrales.

There was some advantage to flying there on the first trip since we got plenty of driving in once we got there. But like others said, the memories of a road trip more than make up for any difference in cost if you have the time. AND when you get there, the Jeep will be right there with you

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Assuming you would be taking I-40 into Albuquerque NM...
You could then pick up I-25 south into Socorro NM.
From there take 60 west through (very scenic) Magdalena Mts/ Gallinus Mts/ Datil Mts- through (more scenic) Cibola Nat. Forest.
Then you could take St. Rt. 12 for a very beautiful drive through the Mangas Mts and through the Apache Sitgreaves Nat. Forest.
Then pick up HW 180 into Silver City NM.
Take 90 south/ west to Lordsburg NM.
There you would pick up I-10 and take it straight on into Tucson.

You could also (instead of taking SR 12)...stay on 60 into Edgar AZ (another scenic drive).
There you could either pick up HW 191 south all the way to I-10 (then head west into Tucson).
...Or you could stay on 60 and go through the Fort Apache Indian Reservation all the way to Florence Junction AZ...(also very scenic).
There you would pick up HW 79 straight into Tucson.

*If you do any of that - Please be sure to try and camp and be prepared to take lots of pictures. Just let me know if you need some names of camping spots/ State Parks/ National Parks. Glad to help.
Great ideas. I am leaning towards option 1 but may want to travel towards Roswell hitting up the Extraterrestrial Hwy. Figure I will do half camping and the other in cheap motels unless my girlfriend wants more comfort, something she will have to pay for..ha ha ha.
post #21 of 23 Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoejd View Post
i have actually made close to that drive in a jeep...from davis monthan afb to little rock afb...close enough to where you are headed. its actually not a bad drive....its alot of the same stuff but its nice.
Hey Tama...I play drums too. Just enough room to stack the cases in the back.
post #22 of 23 Old 11-06-2008, 05:20 AM
JKO Addict!

its funny that is is brought up... Me and about 4 other buds are trying to plan on renting an RV to take from here to Buffalo to see a race (Watkins Glen) in August. This was just brought up this week.

If you have the time, drive it.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-06-2008, 07:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This past summer the family and I took a week long excursion around Pennsylvania. It was worth it regardless of the gas prices. Nice days without the Freedom Panels and we could stop and go at our leisure visiting various sites along the route.

Have fun out there.

MikeP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode