Been a while but need some insight - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Been a while but need some insight

Ok, have 08 Unlimited, 2.5 TF spring lift, auto, 3.73s. 62k on the odometer. Its black, cant stand black but i got a deal in late 07. So after running on the same bfgs for all 62k (nice) time for an update and retread. Money is not a big deal, but i also dont want to make it a small bank. Id like to keep the same gearing, run 35's and add a supercharger to it. Oh and the factory head unit wont accept cd's anymore so that needs a replacement. Its a DD and occasional jump into the woods jeep (washing machine). So im looking for recommendations, suggestions and where Im going to run into opportunities....Or would it just be better to sell off and start with a Rubi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM
JKO Addict!

I would at the very least go see what some dealers are willing to offer you on a trade in. I think Jeep has 0% financing right now for 2010 models so depending on what yours is worth, you might be able to work out a sweet deal.

In terms of tires, I chose Goodyear MTRs w/Kevlar because they perform very well and are relatively light.

I would strongly reconsider regearing regardless of SC especially considering you have an auto.

As for SC, I have an Avenger and absolutely love it. Best investment I have made.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Rock God

If you dont plan on building a monster, a new rubi is a nice starting platform. Lockers dana44s, 4 to1 low range t case, 410 diffs. A small lift you can run 35s and have a nice rig that will do anything you want. You get a new jeep, and except for lift and tires, your done. Kinda.unsub

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Supercharger = almost $5K

Re-gear = A hell of a lot cheaper...

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Love the new Rubi Idea and have thought about it plenty but my anti toleration for dealerships / the deal no deal bs comes up. Im somewhere in the middle as to regear vs. sc. Regear = no more hp where as sc does. Dont get me wrong I get the regear benefits but also spend too much time on the hwy at speed. What else besides the lift i already have do i need to get for the 35s to be nestled properly underneath
post #6 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Rock God

wheel spacers. from what i have read you won't need a fender trim unless you get into some serious flexing.

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

ALASHA, how many miles do you have on yours with the sc and whom might be a poc at avenger
post #8 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMPSON View Post
Love the new Rubi Idea and have thought about it plenty but my anti toleration for dealerships / the deal no deal bs comes up. Im somewhere in the middle as to regear vs. sc. Regear = no more hp where as sc does. Dont get me wrong I get the regear benefits but also spend too much time on the hwy at speed. What else besides the lift i already have do i need to get for the 35s to be nestled properly underneath
I'd do the re-gear and save the other 4K for other mods if I had it like that. How much of a benefit do you get with a supercharger? I'm just curious, I hear mixed reviews.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #9 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
ALASHA, how many miles do you have on yours with the sc and whom might be a poc at avenger
SAMPSON, I have roughly 9,000 miles on my JK with the SC and had ~12,000 miles on it when I did the install. Avenger is a vendor on here - His name is AvengerSC (https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34086).
post #10 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 04:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
How much of a benefit do you get with a supercharger? I'm just curious, I hear mixed reviews.
I got a 55% increase in HP and 56% increase in TQ as measured at the wheels:
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23204
post #11 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Granite Guru

If you can't stand black why don't you see if a dealer has the color you want. Just go in knowing thatyou don't have to buy. If they can't meet you terms proceed with the build up.

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
post #12 of 24 Old 11-29-2010, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks everyone for their input. Get a little jumpy when Im going to throw lots of change toward something. Ill keep you posted on what i do, hell i may get something with color and an sc. The lifting is the relatively easy part. Thanks for the input again, esp Alasha for his jeep creation....my wallet will feel this
post #13 of 24 Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
....my wallet will feel this
Just Empty Every Pocket
post #14 of 24 Old 12-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:

Nope $3995.95 (catch it on sale and snag it for $3770.00) for a additional 100 rear wheel HP...

RIPPTECH
post #15 of 24 Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Youve got my attention, keep talking Ripp. Need all in price and do you have a pdf of install instructions? Will the stock gears work? Whom do I need to contact with questions delving deeper. Are there units available or am I on wait list etc.....

Thanks,
Sampson
post #16 of 24 Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Regearing is in no sort of way in the same league as a supercharger. Adding power and multiplying torque at the wheel isn't the same. Rpm versus wheel speed. For instance, random numbers/exaggeration .that blower will make a 4.10 geared jeep "rev like" a 5.33 geared jeep. But the 5.33 geared jeep will have no actual speed on the road in comparison

Regearing is a band aid for a lack of power and keeps from overheating components like a clutch or trans when modified. Actually making power with a matched gear set is another story.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #17 of 24 Old 12-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Youve got my attention, keep talking Ripp. Need all in price and do you have a pdf of install instructions? Will the stock gears work? Whom do I need to contact with questions delving deeper. Are there units available or am I on wait list etc.....

Thanks,
Sampson
Sure - just call up or email [email protected] - there's a wait list becasue we're selling a bit faster than we can currently crank them out... In fact over the past 4 weeks we've sold 75 kits (out the door).

The GEN2 Stage 1 is a killer kit, a lot of guys jumped on the price this past holiday weekend. It delivers 195whp and 240ft/lbs of torque - It installs in about 5 hours... THATS IT...

Pre-tuned and ready to go...

Ross
post #18 of 24 Old 12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
JKO Addict!

really you need both the blower AND the gears...

i'm just sayin

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #19 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So the update for this thing. Keeping the jeep. Checking the local shops for regear to 4.88s, so far jaw dropping at 1800 inc parts and labor. New wheels and 35" MTRs coming. New Head unit / amp arrived, speaks and intall garb coming. Offroad Heros top to be ordered, he says he has em ready to ship but im prepared for the wait (its Dec in the Midwest). Ive got the time. When done Ill have some 17 inch procomps (painted blk) for sale. Diablo Predator en route as well. So next on the list I guess in control arms, traction bars and finally the SC. Any recommendations on the CAs or TBs.

Appreciate all the help and Ill get some before and after pics as I go...
post #20 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 05:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
So next on the list I guess in control arms, traction bars and finally the SC. Any recommendations on the CAs or TBs.

Sorry if I missed it but did you decide on which lift you are going with?
post #21 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

already have the 2 1/2 teraflex spring lift. I have 40k miles with this lift on and it hasnt been too bad....
post #22 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
So the update for this thing. Keeping the jeep. Checking the local shops for regear to 4.88s, so far jaw dropping at 1800 inc parts and labor. New wheels and 35" MTRs coming. New Head unit / amp arrived, speaks and intall garb coming. Offroad Heros top to be ordered, he says he has em ready to ship but im prepared for the wait (its Dec in the Midwest). Ive got the time. When done Ill have some 17 inch procomps (painted blk) for sale. Diablo Predator en route as well. So next on the list I guess in control arms, traction bars and finally the SC. Any recommendations on the CAs or TBs.

Traction bars? Not for a JK. Gears can be had cheaper. Way cheaper. Gears cost around $600. Add another 3 to 400 (high end)in labor per axle. That's still $400 cheaper than what was quoted to you. Also, many gear places will charge you far less if you pull the axles and drop them off for the install. I've had mine done on two different rigs for $150 each. More work for you, but if you are doing a lift and such anyway, it's not really a big deal.

Also, to beat the dead horse, you NEED gears. If you don't have a Rubi already, then you have lowest of 3.73 gears. With 35s, that is too high. It doesn't matter if you make an extra 100 horse with a SC, you still need to gear it right to match the tires. The highway driving is no big deal with lower gears because the larger tires raise your overall gearing. Get gears, then get a SC later when money allows.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #23 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

my goof Trac Bar front and rear
post #24 of 24 Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
my goof Trac Bar front and rear
My vote is for Rock Krawler:
Front:
http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=185

Rear:
http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=259
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode