Power Steering took a crap in my 2010 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-27-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Power Steering took a crap in my 2010

I was out wheeling this morning with a buddy of mine. We just hit the trail and came to a clearing. I was showing off for my son and turning some donuts, (just a couple) then when we quit and went on our way I didn't have any power steering!! There are no leaks and the fluid level is good. The belt is fine. That only leaves the pump. Has anybody else had issues with this or something similar... I called the stealership and they said to bring it in first thing Monday. He said they didn't care about my 35's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-27-2010, 01:15 PM
Granite Guru

yep mine took a dump instead of dealing with stealership i just dropped 1800 and got a psc ram assist with cooler and never looked back extremly satisfied with my purchase.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 PM
JKO Addict!

I had to have mine changed out too.

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 11-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

I've had 4 on my 09. Yes, 4. MY lifetime bumper to bumper was voided because of this crap..
post #5 of 20 Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

they replaced mine under warranty, and () said it had nothing to do with the lift or tires. gotta love a good maintenance dept that understands. these things are supposed to be taken to places other than parking lot at bass pro shops and the factory steering gearbox is not capable of holding up to even stock tires. the guy in charge of the shop there said that completely stock gearboxes break all the time.

2009 2dr, surf blue
lift, 35's, and other stuff.

"Tigers love pepper. They hate cinnamon"
post #6 of 20 Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's good and bad to hear that this isn't an isolated problem. It sounds like my dealership is cool with mods as long as they are not the cause of the failure. Would a PSC hydro assist help prevent failure on the new pump? I understand the mechanics behind it, but would it take that much strain off the pump?
post #7 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 06:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

My 07's steering pump broke about 3 years ago and was replaced under warantee. The dealer told me the impeller separated from the shaft and he had replaced a few before I brought mine in. Jeep (corporate) must know of this problem.

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #8 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchw123456 View Post
I've had 4 on my 09. Yes, 4. MY lifetime bumper to bumper was voided because of this crap..
They legally can't do that... they are only legally allowed to deny a warranty issue if they can reasonably ascertain that your modification was directly related to the failure of the warranted part. Meaning if you put on bigger tires and your power steering pump dies... yeah, they don't have to cover that because they can prove the larger tires caused stress on the component. But if you put on bigger tires and your alternator dies, they still have to cover it. There is no such thing as a blanket warranty void, where modifying any part of the Jeep affects every other part. Every failure has to be reviewed on a case by case basis. If they are telling you anything other than that, show them a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You can read about it here:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128
post #9 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 AM
JKO Addict!

What he said. Call Chrysler and raise hell.

Let's see, what do we have so :

Self-combusting vehicles due to improper trasmission cooling design
Transfer cases that explode
Steering boxes & pumps that fail
Weak axle tunes & inner knuckles

Please add to the list as you see fit!
post #10 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 08:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchw123456 View Post
Where did you get a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty? Lifetime is on the powertrain, which I'm not sure even includes the p/s pump to begin with.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 09:21 AM
JKO Addict!

sounds like the piston in your stock pump locked up. If you remove the pump yourself, and pull out the piston..then put it back in...you should be fine.

Kinda weird that its doing that.

I went with the PSC 1600psi pump and filtered reservoir and no problems..

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #12 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R View Post
They legally can't do that... they are only legally allowed to deny a warranty issue if they can reasonably ascertain that your modification was directly related to the failure of the warranted part. Meaning if you put on bigger tires and your power steering pump dies... yeah, they don't have to cover that because they can prove the larger tires caused stress on the component. But if you put on bigger tires and your alternator dies, they still have to cover it. There is no such thing as a blanket warranty void, where modifying any part of the Jeep affects every other part. Every failure has to be reviewed on a case by case basis. If they are telling you anything other than that, show them a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You can read about it here:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

The lifetime 'warranty' that you are thinking about is actually a SERVICE CONTRACT. A contract that can be written with just about any number of provisions for denial and eventually annulment. MMWA does not cover service contracts. That person and any others that bought service contracts are SOL at the whim of the dealerships/corporate.
post #13 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Mine has been pissing out fluid. Im getting the PSC soon.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #14 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
What he said. Call Chrysler and raise hell.

Let's see, what do we have so :

Self-combusting vehicles due to improper trasmission cooling design
Transfer cases that explode
Steering boxes & pumps that fail
Weak axle tunes & inner knuckles

Please add to the list as you see fit!
SoK66

You forgot the:
Shitty Ball Joints
Death Shake
And most stock JK's pull right
post #15 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Where did you get a lifetime bumper to bumper warranty? Lifetime is on the powertrain, which I'm not sure even includes the p/s pump to begin with.

I bought it because I was assured that as long as I stayed under 3.5" lift it would be covered. Ron Carter in Alvin had my VIN flagged. Look in the Texas section I have a fairly large rant there..
post #16 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomeister View Post
The lifetime 'warranty' that you are thinking about is actually a SERVICE CONTRACT. A contract that can be written with just about any number of provisions for denial and eventually annulment. MMWA does not cover service contracts. That person and any others that bought service contracts are SOL at the whim of the dealerships/corporate.
Are we talking about two different things then? My response is in regards to the factory/manufacturer's warranty, that's where the law protects the owner. Any aftermarket warranties, extended warranties, or dealer-offered stuff is separate and wouldn't have to be honored in the same way as the manufacturer's warranty.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Rock God

Also wanna add..

crappy tie rod and drag link ends
clunky steering
fuel overflow
post #18 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblustang90 View Post
yep mine took a dump instead of dealing with stealership i just dropped 1800 and got a psc ram assist with cooler and never looked back extremly satisfied with my purchase.
How does the PSC assist drive on the street?
post #19 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
How does the PSC assist drive on the street?
I have never driven a jeep with PSC steering, but i understand its a little different feeling. Everyone says that you get used to it pretty quickly.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #20 of 20 Old 11-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Rock God

Would the PSC absorb bumps and potholes more and make the Jeep feel more stable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode