It appears that topo maps are now available in the 2011 mygig... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Rerun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada
Posts: 340
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
It appears that topo maps are now available in the 2011 mygig...

Saw this pic posted in another thread... https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showpo...86&postcount=2



Sure looks like a topographical map to me. Can anyone who owns a 2011 with MyGig confirm this?
Rerun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru
 
Rerun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada
Posts: 340
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Anyone know anything about this?
Rerun is offline  
post #3 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 03:19 PM
JKO Addict!
 
offroader613's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 3,234
Feedback: 0 reviews

The new Nav system was/is developed by Garmin, which explains why the MyGig's screen matches that of my Nuvi. So, it would only make sense for Garmin to use the maps they use in their own units.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
offroader613 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 1,481
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

Be nice if we could get the software/maps to make our current '07-'10 Mygigs run the Garmin programming and maps.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
highoctane is offline  
post #5 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 04:20 PM
JKO Addict!
 
.:eMETAL:.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Midcoast Maine
Age: 36
Posts: 5,420
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
Be nice if we could get the software/maps to make our current '07-'10 Mygigs run the Garmin programming and maps.
x2

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.:eMETAL:. is offline  
post #6 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Rock God
 
Guruman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Thompson Falls, Montana
Age: 48
Posts: 1,151
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

does anyone know if the units are interchangeable? Can I put a 2011 MyGig in a 2007 JK? The topo maps would be handy here in the mountains.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Guruman is offline  
post #7 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Rock God
 
greenmeanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Age: 43
Posts: 1,145
Garage
Feedback: 10 reviews

Thats pretty sweet. Hope they make it for 07-09's.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


JOIN THE NRA NOW!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
greenmeanie is offline  
post #8 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Newbie
 
nmjeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Lunas, New Mexico
Age: 60
Posts: 8
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guruman View Post
does anyone know if the units are interchangeable? Can I put a 2011 MyGig in a 2007 JK? The topo maps would be handy here in the mountains.
2007 shouldn't be a problem. Lot of good data available from the reputable sellers on ebay regarding Fit--Just put a 2011 RHB/430N in my 08 JK; however, It has was not without some ass pain. While form and Fit was no problem, seems 2011 was the first year for the single integrated antenna for both SAT and GPS. The antenna i got with the unit worked fine except that it had a 12 inch whip designed for roof mount. Initially i stuck it inside and behind the pax dash, but, while the GPS was fine i could not get good enough SAT reception. I have one coming now that is same as the ones installed on the 2011 Jeeps with same unit that I expect will work with no problem.

Only other problem has been getting the lockpick to work. Coastaltech finally got a patch out that should enable the functionality (video on motion, POIs on motion and Fnt/Rear cams) for this unit.

Biggest drawback now besides the price of new ones and availability of used ones, is the fact they are so new and not even the MYGIG geeks seem to know much about them.

Good luck!!
nmjeeps is offline  
post #9 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic
 
jdemonto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Phoenix,Az
Age: 43
Posts: 6,148
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

The Term My gig was ditched in 2009....Uconnect GPS was adopted. Now as mentioned the Garmin Nav is called the 430N radio which is a old REN with Nav.

Just to be politically correct.


Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
jdemonto is offline  
post #10 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 525
Feedback: 0 reviews

Thats my Jeep, and its just the stock GPS program. Topo maps are supposed to be available for the new Garmin GPS unit, but I haven't tried to find them yet.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
MOPWR2U is offline  
post #11 of 46 Old 11-26-2010, 10:02 PM
JKO Addict!
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,738
Feedback: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
Thats my Jeep, and its just the stock GPS program. Topo maps are supposed to be available for the new Garmin GPS unit, but I haven't tried to find them yet.
What do you mean you haven't tried to find them? It is them. It's obviously showing contours. I just wonder if it actually will tell you elevation.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
oz97tj is offline  
post #12 of 46 Old 11-27-2010, 01:41 AM
Granite Guru
 
CashMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Age: 36
Posts: 366
Feedback: 0 reviews

I never understood how they could sell a Rubicon model and only have street maps on it, WTF Chrysler?????

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
CashMoney is offline  
post #13 of 46 Old 11-27-2010, 02:50 AM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 227
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
What do you mean you haven't tried to find them? It is them. It's obviously showing contours. I just wonder if it actually will tell you elevation.
What do you mean if it actually will tell you elevation? It's obviously showing elevation

Bottom left corner of nav display - along w/ speed as well which my 2010 uconnect (mygig or whateverthehellyouwannacallit) does not

2010 Unlimited Rubi: 6 Speed, Nav, RK X Factor, Raceline Beadlocks, 37's, PSC Crushers, BFH, EvapSkid, etc.
Rockafella is offline  
post #14 of 46 Old 11-27-2010, 07:37 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 525
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
What do you mean you haven't tried to find them? It is them. It's obviously showing contours. I just wonder if it actually will tell you elevation.
I mean highly detailed topo maps, which are downloadable from Garmin, and much better detail than seen on that GPS screen. If you zoom in on that GPS display the topo details go away with the stock setup. With the downloadable maps you get even more detail when you zoom in.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
MOPWR2U is offline  
post #15 of 46 Old 11-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 1,481
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmjeeps View Post
2007 shouldn't be a problem. Lot of good data available from the reputable sellers on ebay regarding Fit--Just put a 2011 RHB/430N in my 08 JK; however, It has was not without some ass pain. While form and Fit was no problem, seems 2011 was the first year for the single integrated antenna for both SAT and GPS. The antenna i got with the unit worked fine except that it had a 12 inch whip designed for roof mount. Initially i stuck it inside and behind the pax dash, but, while the GPS was fine i could not get good enough SAT reception. I have one coming now that is same as the ones installed on the 2011 Jeeps with same unit that I expect will work with no problem.

Only other problem has been getting the lockpick to work. Coastaltech finally got a patch out that should enable the functionality (video on motion, POIs on motion and Fnt/Rear cams) for this unit.

Biggest drawback now besides the price of new ones and availability of used ones, is the fact they are so new and not even the MYGIG geeks seem to know much about them.

Good luck!!

Did you have to do any star scans at the dealer to get the new 430N to work in your '08? Very interested in doing the swap to mine.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
highoctane is offline  
post #16 of 46 Old 11-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Newbie
 
nmjeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Lunas, New Mexico
Age: 60
Posts: 8
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
Did you have to do any star scans at the dealer to get the new 430N to work in your '08? Very interested in doing the swap to mine.
No--however, not sure yet if a star scan will be required to get the uconnect working.
nmjeeps is offline  
post #17 of 46 Old 11-27-2010, 07:14 PM
JKO Addict!
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,738
Feedback: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockafella View Post
What do you mean if it actually will tell you elevation? It's obviously showing elevation

Bottom left corner of nav display - along w/ speed as well which my 2010 uconnect (mygig or whateverthehellyouwannacallit) does not
Lol. I mean can you pick a location and see elevation? Or look at multiple locations elevation to get a better idea of terrain beyond the different shades.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
oz97tj is offline  
post #18 of 46 Old 11-28-2010, 07:14 AM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 525
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I mean can you pick a location and see elevation? Or look at multiple locations elevation to get a better idea of terrain beyond the different shades.
No.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
MOPWR2U is offline  
post #19 of 46 Old 11-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Granite Guru
 
MadMyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 422
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

No, fellas, the pic by the OP looks like a "terrain" layer of the Google maps. A topographical map has terrain elevation lines. These are topographical maps





They are for Rausch Creek and The Pine Barrens. I got them made from a sweet website called MyTopo.com. You can custom make maps for any of your wheeling (or hunting) spots.

Just when they think they have all the answers, I go and change the question.
MadMyk is offline  
post #20 of 46 Old 11-28-2010, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,738
Feedback: 4 reviews

Madmyk...

My Oregon GPS. will show the lines, and / or just the shaded terrain. The picture shows the shaded areas, as you stated, but on mine I'm able to aslo scroll around and look at elevations and the lines of a standard topo map. Seeing as the factory radio is also Garmin, I was thinking it maybe was able to do both as well, like my Oregon does.

Even still, I wouldn't personally pay for that radio / nav unit. I prefer a stand alone GPS.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
oz97tj is offline  
post #21 of 46 Old 11-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Granite Guru
 
MadMyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bristow, VA
Posts: 422
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

That would be a cool setup if a manufacturer could bring it to fruition. Having an 07, I still wouldn't upgrade to it. Too many other things to spend $$$ on.

Just when they think they have all the answers, I go and change the question.
MadMyk is offline  
post #22 of 46 Old 11-28-2010, 08:32 PM
Rock God
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 525
Feedback: 0 reviews

I really don't think Garmin wants the navigation system that comes in a Jeep to be able to do what a hand held GPS does. They want you to buy a separate hand held GPS. Don't hold your breath on OEM navigation systems having those capabilities any time soon.

And most of the time when buying one of these Jeeps, you can find one that has most of the options you want, like the correct color, the correct transmission, and locking differentials. But that same Jeep will usually have some options you don't want, ... like a navigation system that is really only good for street use. You have to take what you can get, or wait two months for a custom ordered Jeep.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
MOPWR2U is offline  
post #23 of 46 Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Newbie
 
nmjeeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Lunas, New Mexico
Age: 60
Posts: 8
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPWR2U View Post
I really don't think Garmin wants the navigation system that comes in a Jeep to be able to do what a hand held GPS does. They want you to buy a separate hand held GPS. Don't hold your breath on OEM navigation systems having those capabilities any time soon.

And most of the time when buying one of these Jeeps, you can find one that has most of the options you want, like the correct color, the correct transmission, and locking differentials. But that same Jeep will usually have some options you don't want, ... like a navigation system that is really only good for street use. You have to take what you can get, or wait two months for a custom ordered Jeep.
I cant disagree that there is probably a cheaper way to get the topo capability than with a MYGIG. The RHB/430N unit is the first with the Garmin for 2011 and there is so little information out on them; however, although i've not done it yet, i have been told that i can install TOPO maps onto it. my two cents for what it's worth.
nmjeeps is offline  
post #24 of 46 Old 11-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Age: 41
Posts: 316
Feedback: 1 reviews

Here is a good source for mygig info.


h**p://mofv.com/mygig/
gcally is offline  
post #25 of 46 Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM
Rock God
 
J. Kickerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bailey, CO
Posts: 1,136
Feedback: 0 reviews

Hummm My Garmin looks like this... Is it broke? It came with the JK.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.

Last edited by J. Kickerman; 03-07-2011 at 12:35 PM.
J. Kickerman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome