Winter driving - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-25-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Winter driving

i did a search but never found anything about driving in 4wd high,

snows coming so just looking for some advice for the first winter with the JK, been reading the hand book and it says only to use 4wd high when conditions are slippery and must not be used on normal roads,
also not to drive over 50mph while in 4wd high,
does this mean everytime i drive onto a clear road i need to switch back to 2wd?
also reading about the esp for driving with 4wd high, do i need to press the button breifly when i change to 4wd high?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-25-2010, 02:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yup 4hi on slippery surfaces... I only use 4Hi when I need it. If you run 4Hi on dry roads, turn sharp and you will get some binding... not good. If you need to run 4Hi on the hiway... 50 mph is probably fast enough.

my 2 cents

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-25-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Yup 4hi on slippery surfaces... I only use 4Hi when I need it. If you run 4Hi on dry roads, turn sharp and you will get some binding... not good. If you need to run 4Hi on the hiway... 50 mph is probably fast enough.

my 2 cents
thanks for confirming this,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-25-2010, 10:50 PM
LSM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by J99P View Post
also not to drive over 50mph while in 4wd high,
If I remember correctly, I thought the manual states don't shift into 4hi over 50mph. You can drive faster, just don't shift... I would not recommend driving that fast if it is that slippery to need 4HI.

from the Jeep website..

1. The transfer case provides four mode positions: 2H (Two-wheel drive high range), 4H (Four-wheel drive high range), N (Neutral), and 4L (Four-wheel drive low range).
2. The transfer case is intended to be driven in the 2H position for normal street and highway conditions such as hard-surfaced roads.
3. Shifting between 2H and 4H can be made with the vehicle stopped or in motion. Shift the transfer case lever firmly to 4H at any speed up to 50 mph (80 km/h).
4. Shifting between 4H and 4L can be made with the vehicle rolling at 2 to 3 mph (3 to 5 km/h). Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or fully depress the clutch pedal on a manual transmission. Shift the transfer case lever firmly to 4L (do not pause with the transfer case in NEUTRAL). Once the shift is completed, place the automatic transmission into DRIVE or release the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.

ME
08 Rubicon Unlimited / জীপ্ Green / 6 Speed..
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-26-2010, 03:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

You will get a feel for this as you do it. As stated if you start noticing the "binding" feedback when turning that is an indicator that the surface is not slippery enough, and likely 4x4 is not necessary. If you do happen to encounter dry stretches of pavement in a straight line that will not hurt anything. In addition, with the JK's traction control, it is much more adept at handling those "tweener" conditions in 2wd. As for speed, the info posted above is correct, however I always figured if I am capable of confidently doing much over 50mph then I probably don't need to be in 4x4 anyways.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #6 of 17 Old 11-26-2010, 05:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Also, your question about the ESP you really only need to us that in "off road" situations, it simply turns the sustem on or off, when off road though if it's not turned off your computer will thing you're "slipping" and the system will activate often which will run down your brake pads very quickly. Some turn it off for everyday driving but I don't, that's a matter of choice. You don't need to hit it though when going into/out of 4wd.

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #7 of 17 Old 11-26-2010, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Never tried shifting from 2wd to 4wd while moving, I will give it a go over the weekend, least you don't need to stop when things get slippery,
My hand book says you can't travel over 50 mph in 4wdh mine is also a manual so it maybe different for autos,
post #8 of 17 Old 11-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Rock God

Quick tip never pull hard on the 4wd shifter, the cable ends suck and break. Baby it if isnt going in dont force it. Allways go into N to go in or out of low. Turn off esp any time you want to be able to gass it and spin wheels, snow, ice, mud. Have fun. unsub

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
post #9 of 17 Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Never tried shifting from 2wd to 4wd while moving, I will give it a go over the weekend, least you don't need to stop when things get slippery,
My hand book says you can't travel over 50 mph in 4wdh mine is also a manual so it maybe different for autos,
what we are trying to say is...if the conditions on the hwy are bad enough to need 4x4 then you shouldn't be doing 50+mph. This is a true 4x4 system not AWD. Its not designed to run flat out hwy speeds and is pretty much an " as needed" system.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #10 of 17 Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to .:eMETAL:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:eMETAL:.

Quote:

you don't need to pull over to shift it into 4HI just drive normal (not over 50mph when you're doing this though). with the manual just push the clutch in and pull the transfercase lever into 4HI. this will move very smoothly... it's 4LO that you often find it to be tougher and this is when you need to be coasting at 3-5mph but then you just coast, push the clutch in, slide the transmission into neutral, and then shift the transfercase to 4LO. one fluid motion and not forceful. then into desired gear and off you go!

you'll get the hang of it... just know that it's not as much of a pain as you thought it is if you original thought you needed to pull over everytime to shift into 4HI. that would only be true if you needed to get out and lock your hubs but you dont i had to use my 4HI this morning to work in this sleet mixture.

happy and safe driving!

Remember to support our great Vendors here at JKO when purchasing your Jeep goods!

post #11 of 17 Old 11-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Granite Guru

I spend most of my winter in 4LO

2008 Black X 2" Rusty's lift, 33's XRC rear Bumper ( Traded in on Arctic)
2012 Arctic Edition (Traded in on Truck )
post #12 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 04:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15005 View Post

Do you have a two door or an Unlimited? How well does it work as a plow rig?

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #13 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15005 View Post

Wow.... that's the first JK I've seen used to plow snow.

2008 JK X 2dr. Std. Blk
post #14 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
Wow.... that's the first JK I've seen used to plow snow.
one here in action YouTube - Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 7' Boss Sport Duty plowing 1
post #15 of 17 Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Wheeler

Mine goes in and out of 4hi all the time. What I mean is I run 2wd on the highway and around town all the time. With the ESP and good tires, 2wd is usually all I need. Only time I pull the 4wd lever is when I come to slippery intersections where I would just spin out if not in 4wd. Just play around with your Jeep and you will see what works best for you.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon JK
Detonator Yellow
2" Zone Offroad Spacer lift
SuperWinch LP8500
128CH Kenwood VHF
Cobra 40ch CB
Custom Axe&Shovel holder
Custom Jerry Can Holder
48" Highlift
Air Compressor
Rampage Grab Handles
Congo Rack

"Good roads bring BAD people, Bad roads bring GOOD people"

Was I banned? Hell Ya

Eddie is an Ass Clown
post #16 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 08:33 AM
Wheeler

This very question is why I like the old SelecTrac transfer case in my 2002 Liberty (yeah, I know, not as capable, grocery getter, etc., no need to slap me around please ). It has 2WD, 4WD Hi, 4WD Lo, and Fulltime 4WD (NOT AWD). The FullTime 4WD position can be used on dry pavement without harm to the drivetrain, and is perfect for the kind of intermittent wet/dry/frozen that we see so much of in New England, where I am.

I am hopeful (without any basis) that Jeep will offer a similarly flexible transfer case in next year's JK when they offer the Pentastar engine. If they do, I am pulling the trigger on one right away.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-29-2010, 07:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The 4x4 system is fine at top speeds; I would not recommend fast speeds on snow and ice, but I've had mine over 80 for long periods in open desert.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode