Are Yukon Gears Good Quality? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to Bombero37A
Question Are Yukon Gears Good Quality?

I just got a quote for 5.13 front and rear gears with installation for $1500. The brand of the gears are Yukon. Are these top of the line gears? What quality are they? I just want to know if I'm getting good quality for what I'm paying. The guy told me that the gears are $900 dollars plus $600 for install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

They are top-notch. That being said- so are Superiors.

I didn't really want G2 gears....but I got them anyway, and they seem to be holding up fine. At 500 miles, I will be interested to see how they are wearing. Also haven't had them off road yet....

IMO- Most gears are good. Generally it is the install that causes problems...and a bad install can kill ANY gear-set.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

FWIW- $900 seems a little high...

In comparison- $555.00

$170 rear d44 Superior
$170 front d44 Superior
$100 front d44 install kit
$115 rear d44 install kit

This is more realistic.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 01:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yukon has 2 grades of gears, one with limited warranty & one with a lifetime if I'm not mistaken, Send Robert @ (Jeep_fab_&_Gears) here on the forum the question, for he is the gear guy, P.S. his price is around $850.00 installed for gears normal priced installed.

Superior boxes up other companies gears & labels them with their name.
post #5 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 02:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yukons are as god as it gets. I got my Yukon ring and pinions, and master overhaul kits from motive gear, along with install for $800 total. Gears installed shouldn't cost more than $1200 on the high side.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #6 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 02:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yeah a little high IMO. My Yukon gears plus install was $950.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Wheeler

Yukon has 2 grades of gears, the price you got should be for the better set, make sure that is what you are getting. I tell people all the time, you get what you pay for, also ask about the guy doing the install, how many years has he been doing gear installs.

-Ethan
post #8 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan @ 4WP View Post
Yukon has 2 grades of gears, the price you got should be for the better set, make sure that is what you are getting. I tell people all the time, you get what you pay for, also ask about the guy doing the install, how many years has he been doing gear installs.

-Ethan
The guy doing installs, Willy, has been doing them a long time... he has done 4 sets for me and is about to replace my rear 5.38's next week plus the countless JK's of friends and normal customers.. So on that aspect the OP should feel confident.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #9 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
The guy doing installs, Willy, has been doing them a long time... he has done 4 sets for me and is about to replace my rear 5.38's next week plus the countless JK's of friends and normal customers.. So on that aspect the OP should feel confident.

Sorry I'm new to JKO, I have seen good gear set's go bad because of a bad install. Just saying...
post #10 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

There's no excuse for screwing up a jk gear install. They're so easy to do...

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #11 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan @ 4WP View Post
Sorry I'm new to JKO, I have seen good gear set's go bad because of a bad install. Just saying...
You are absolutely right.... Especially on the Rubicons, the lockers are very sensitive to n00bs installing gears.

Thanks for being here on JKO by the way!

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #12 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
There's no excuse for screwing up a jk gear install. They're so easy to do...
Yes Sir they are, I did a set yesterday.
post #13 of 53 Old 11-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
You are absolutely right.... Especially on the Rubicons, the lockers are very sensitive to n00bs installing gears.

Thanks for being here on JKO by the way!
No Thanks for having me here!

Last edited by Ethan @ 4WP; 11-25-2010 at 03:36 PM.
post #14 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 10:53 AM

I bought 5.13 Yukon gears with Install kit for $500 from northridge.
post #15 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to Bombero37A
Thumbs up

Thanks everyone. I just called the guy at Rocco and told him about the price I got from Northridge 4x4. Waiting to hear back from him. I emailed Northridge and they have the following kit for $549.00 which includes Yukon gears and new bearings.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...VERHAUL&cat=27
post #16 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Rock God

Got my Yukon 4.88s with Timken overhauls for $500. Average price for gearsets here is $600 for both axles. Should be in the $1,100-$1,300 range, TOPS.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #17 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The higher grade gears from Yukon are excellent, Almost no noise for first 1000 miles then quite as stock.

I have the 5.13

2008 Rubicon, 4 door Detonator yellow, 3.5" lift, Motech LS 6L engine conversion, RR Skids.

Last edited by Rubydak; 11-26-2010 at 10:56 PM.
post #18 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Aren't Yukon, Superior, and AlloyUSA made by the same company? Or have the Margaritas taken control ...again?

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #19 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Granite Guru

I was quoted 1900 for gears front and rear, sleeved front axle and guessets...was also told that Yukon is no good...and was suggested another brand...forget what ones though...I'll get back to you guys on that.
post #20 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 08:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LER-27 View Post
I was quoted 1900 for gears front and rear, sleeved front axle and guessets...was also told that Yukon is no good...and was suggested another brand...forget what ones though...I'll get back to you guys on that.
And JK-Forum is your mentor too.
post #21 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
Aren't Yukon, Superior, and AlloyUSA made by the same company? Or have the Margaritas taken control ...again?
Used to be that the USA Standard Gear, Value Gear, Yukon Dura-lock, and Yukon Gear and Axle all came from Superior Axle & Gear (at least the D44's). They were all branded as USA Standard Gear. Superior was also known as Foote Axle Forge LLC....and they claimed to be a 100% in-house manufacturer. They claimed to forge, CNC, heat-treat, grind, and spline their gears in the US.

.....but........I have no idea now.

post #22 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Granite Guru

Umm nope Bear from Beartrax 4x4 told me this...jkowners is my only mentor!
post #23 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 09:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yukon, as I understand it has gears made in the USA and gears made in korea. Guess which ones are the better quality metal? Hint...it'll be stamped with Made in the USA.

I got my Yukons and they have been just as quiet as stock since day one. When we were checking tolerances the tooth contact was dead on. Yukon are great gears, right along with Superior axle gears. They are the only 2 I would consider buying. G2 are good korean gears and they will probably hold up, but when it comes to something as important as ring and pinions, why go cheap? They are really something you don't want to fail.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #24 of 53 Old 11-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Garage

I have Motive gears.. not real happy with them at the moment.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #25 of 53 Old 11-27-2010, 02:35 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I have Motive gears.. not real happy with them at the moment.
What ones are you going with this time? found out wensday that mine got some cracked ring gear teeth

Quote:
-I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode