Rant: Dealership consistently trying to rip me off... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rant: Dealership consistently trying to rip me off...

Got about 34,000 miles on my 07 2dr JK with 33's and a 3 inch lift and some skids. Bought it stock last March of this year with 23,000 miles on it. I've had 3 scheduled services done now at the dealership that I purchased it from. I plan on keeping up with all scheduled intervals but...

Each time, I told them specifically that I want to follow schedule B that's in the manual. The invoice on the the 30,000 mile service states that they replaced the spark plugs and "greased the steering linkages" as well performing the other items for that particular service. I told them that schedule B requires spark plugs to be changed at 99,000 miles, not 30,000 and that there is nothing to grease at all as far as the steering components are concerned! He said that was not totally true and that they are following a "new updated service schedule" given to them by Chrysler. What a joke and a pile BS!

The next one was for the 33,000 mile service which is supposed to be just an oil change. But the service manager comes out to see me right before it was finished and told me they "recommend" that I get the (transfer case service $125.00) and (EFI service $161.00). I told him that the transfer case fluid was just changed at my last service (the 30,000 mile one) and it's on the invoice as such. He gives me sort of a dead-pan look and said he would go check his records. He came back pretty quick and said that Chrysler has updated the service interval for the transfer case to every 12,000 miles (I'm sure that's a flat out lie). I told him it's only been 3,000 miles since it was changed. He then finally said that the mechanic didn't see that it was done the last time. At this point, he is just totally lying to my face and it becomes very clear that they really don't have any intention to follow schedule B as it appears in the manual.

I then asked what is the EFI service? He told me it was to clean out the throttle body and injectors. I told him that it's not even mentioned in the manual and that my engine is running just fine. He said, "well. it's up to you"...

I don't think they even bother looking this stuff up... He seemed almost insulted and pissed that I could even question the services they were performing. Guess they deal with a lot of ignorant customers. Imagine all that extra cash they rape out of unsuspecting people every single day. Amazing.

I don't want to come off too confrontational to this asshole as I'm afraid I'll get "flagged as modified" and they'll dispute any and all future warranty work. I bought an expensive 3rd party warranty plan from them. Anyway, they seem to treat everyone as if they know nothing about their vehicles and that we're too stupid to know any better. I'd LOVE to tell this lying scumbag just to fuck off but I need to stay in their good graces at least until my warranty expires.

End rant...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 07:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Find a new dealership. This happens far too often. Chrysler service departments tend to run either as absolute shit (most around me are), or wonderful- not too many in between- sorry to hear about your experience. You could always DIY, ya know- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #3 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 07:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Time for a new dealer IMO... I know it is a pain. Mine closed for almost a year and I had to drive to BFE. They are open again (thank goodness) and I have an outstanding relationship with them. Zero issues - of course I don't ask them to warranty anything that I think may be effected by my mods. Service should be simple, you are going through entirely too much BS IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Granite Guru

Sound like any dealership.....I don't know why you would think you need to get confrontational.

Him: "Do you want us to perform an EFI service?"

You: "No."

Problem solved.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKHammer View Post
Sound like any dealership.....I don't know why you would think you need to get confrontational.

Him: "Do you want us to perform an EFI service?"

You: "No."

Problem solved.
Yeah, that's exactly what I did, I declined the bogus EFI and TC fluid service. It's just that I would love to call him out on all the BS he keeps throwing at me. If I do find a new more honest dealer, I'll tell him exactly why their losing my business...
post #6 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

You can always do some searching on Jeep's website and find out if they've actually revised the maintenance schedule. Better yet, ask them to see a copy of this revised schedule to have for your records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Wheeler

Correction: Stealership.

Nobody likes them.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

There are SOME Jeep dealerships (like Airpark in Scottsdale- very cool up there!) that aren't filled with scumbags in service. They're more the exception rather than the rule, though- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #9 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 10:06 AM
JKO Addict!

As a former ASE Master Tech who decided it would be cooler to wear a tie and work for a manufacturer, this is why I do all my own services. I've never seen a worse, less economical or less competent place to get an automobile serviced than the average, AVERAGE MIND YOU, franchised dealership. Occasionally I'm impressed, but generally one just shakes their head in amazement. At least a thief makes no pretense of motives.

All that crap the OP explained is caused by manufacturer and dealership owner greed and associated commission pay plans for service managers, service advisors and techs. The latter work under a "flat rate" pay plan that's imposed upon the dealerships by the manufacturers. In that regard it's possible for a tech to do warranty work for hours, often untrained, and not get paid. The shops therefore become hostile from the ground up and the unsuspecting customer gets screwed on customer pay maintenance and basic services to make up for the inherent inefficiencies of the fucked up, disorganized mess. Having been a corporate service executive gave me the opportunity to watch the operations of hundreds of retail dealerships. What the OP describes is more the norm than than otherwise.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-25-2010, 01:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
There are SOME Jeep dealerships (like Airpark in Scottsdale- very cool up there!) that aren't filled with scumbags in service. They're more the exception rather than the rule, though- Mark W.
I agree.. there are still some dealerships out there that give a shit... there just seems to be too many that don't give a shit about you.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode