JK Front axle breakage, is this common? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

JK Front axle breakage, is this common?

I keep breaking the front axle shafts on my JK. It seems to be spitting out the u-joint retaining clip which is followed by the cap coming out and wallowing out the yoke. I have been through 3 axle shafts all replaced under warranty. Any body else having this problem?
Thanks,
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Rock God

Yep, blew mine in less than 5k miles. Replaced with RCV/Longfield shafts & never looked back.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nope. 80k on original shafts here.

Heavy foot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Slow and Low

Tack weld the caps and they won't spin out. Easy fix.
post #5 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Tack weld the caps and they won't spin out. Easy fix.
X10 Very easy to do and solves the problem.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Granite Guru

Keep the welds small though so they still fit through the knuckle if you have to pull them. I found out the hard way.

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance
post #7 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very common problem. My local dealer sees a great deal of this from both the 30 and 44s. My driver side u-joint was doing this a few months after I bought it.

You can tack em like others have said, or just upgrade to better shafts and joints with full circle clips.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Granite Guru

Out of curiosity, if you tack weld the caps, will that void the warranty on them? That's my concern. I currently get them replaced every so often under the lifetime powertrain warranty. Sure it's inconvenient when they grenade (to put it lightly) but it's free... so it's hard to complain.
In fact, last time this happened, it wallowed out the yokes and managed to damage the ring and pinion... but all of that was fixed under warranty. I'd hate for them to able to void the warranty on the R&P if they were damaged in a future failure.
post #9 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 03:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It sounds like you have a pretty good relationship with your service manager. I would ask him/her and see what they say. My gut tells me yes but a simple tack weld really does take care of the issue. You could always buy an unmodified stocker spare on ebay to replace the tacked one if you break the tacked one... Would keep you on the trail and no worries about warranty issues. What size tires are you running and when is the shaft taking a dump? Common instances or random chaos?
post #10 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 03:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The problem is constantly breaking down on the trail and having to deal with the monkeys at Chrysler all the time. IMO, reliability trumps constant free replacements for a known problem. When your 2-days back into the Rubicon trail and it breaks - your not going to care much about that lifetime warranty.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 03:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
The problem is constantly breaking down on the trail and having to deal with the monkeys at Chrysler all the time. IMO, reliability trumps constant free replacements for a known problem. When your 2-days back into the Rubicon trail and it breaks - your not going to care much about that lifetime warranty.
Yep. Luckily my shafts have been no problem. I have the same theory with like autozone lifetime starters. I don't care about the warranty I just don't want to change it every other month and use the warranty.

I should tack my caps just in case

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
It sounds like you have a pretty good relationship with your service manager. I would ask him/her and see what they say. My gut tells me yes but a simple tack weld really does take care of the issue. You could always buy an unmodified stocker spare on ebay to replace the tacked one if you break the tacked one... Would keep you on the trail and no worries about warranty issues. What size tires are you running and when is the shaft taking a dump? Common instances or random chaos?
Definitely not a bad idea. I'm running 35's and both times, the shaft gives out on the interstate. There's a tell-tale clicking noise, then it grenades. Obviously the first time it started, I didn't know what it was... I slowed down to about 15 under the speed limit hoping that whatever it was would hold up until I got home... and it only lasted another 2 miles or so before exploding. The second time, my ears were more sensitive to the noise, and I knew where to look. I managed to get it replaced before it wallowed out the yoke too badly.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Granite Guru

Oh, and the reason for not replacing with CV's and whatnot is I still consider this a temporary axle. It's become more of a long term thing than I would've liked, but I really don't wanna spend much money on it when I plan to replace the whole unit.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I undestand that it is a progressive failure.... Lose the clips then it all goes bad shortly after that.. If you are lucky enough to catch it before it takes a shit you are golden but my luck would have me in the middle of BFE without a paddle.... I would weld those bastards and be done with it. I swapped them out for chromoly axles early on with no issues since (2+yrs ago)
post #15 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

one more for rcv longfields. I never broke mine but figured I best quit pressing my luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode