2010 up in flames - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

2010 up in flames

This was in the morning paper. Thought I would share and discuss.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Co...101/story.html

I am no expert , and from the limited info provided it sounds like they overheated the transmission, trying to pull out the truck. Thoughts?

2010 Sahara Unlimited. 33" Goodyear Duratracs, MOPAR Grab Handles front and Rugged ridge in back, SilverStar Platinum Head Lights, Gorilla Pod Video Camera Mount System,Kargo Master Kongo Cage,50" light bar, Rear tail light guards, gas cap cover locking, Smittybilt Jerry Can Holder, with Scepter military can, chopped stubby bumper... assorted decals . Other factory options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAVIK View Post
This was in the morning paper. Thought I would share and discuss.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Co...101/story.html

I am no expert , and from the limited info provided it sounds like they overheated the transmission, trying to pull out the truck. Thoughts?
There is really no way to tell for sure.
"an agent told her an investigation concluded the fire was caused by mud, grass and water that got into the undercarriage of the vehicle after driving it in the field."
post #3 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah like I said i'm no expert , just wondered if anyone else encountered this issue? Just struck me as odd that they thought mud and water were flammable???

2010 Sahara Unlimited. 33" Goodyear Duratracs, MOPAR Grab Handles front and Rugged ridge in back, SilverStar Platinum Head Lights, Gorilla Pod Video Camera Mount System,Kargo Master Kongo Cage,50" light bar, Rear tail light guards, gas cap cover locking, Smittybilt Jerry Can Holder, with Scepter military can, chopped stubby bumper... assorted decals . Other factory options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 AM
JKO Addict!

That's exactly what happened. The tip off is that the fire was on the right side. Probably tried to pull the stuck vehicle while in 4wd Hi. If it's a 2010 the "Hot Oil" bullshit should have come on.

The deficient trans cooler issue is starting to get some press traction now. Sorry to read that the owner was burned trying to put out the fire. This is how class actions and massive recalls, scandals re: suppression of evidence, etc. happen in the auto industry. Watch this space.
post #5 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

yeah the part where she got in and "Sharron switched places with Glenn, got in the driver's seat and tried to start the Jeep, but the engine just revved, she said.

I feel bad for their loss and injuries for sure. A bad deal to happen to anyone.

post #6 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Rock God

I've read somewhere that should "dry" grass get caught up in the undercarriage near the exhaust system, it could catch fire and ignite the fuel tank which is...on the right side.

Regarding the tranny overheating aspect...a couple weeks ago I brought mine to the dealer and they did the recall for the constant chime for tranny overheating. I asked them about a dealer installed tranny cooler and they quoted me something like $500+ and would only be covered for 12 months but he didnt think it would void the factory warranty but couldnt/wouldnt say for sure.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Someone should tell them "pics or it didn't happen"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Gotta love neighborhood kids who dig your junk. I always wanted some of those but I haven't been so lucky.
post #8 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG426 View Post
I've read somewhere that should "dry" grass get caught up in the undercarriage near the exhaust system, it could catch fire and ignite the fuel tank which is...on the right side.

Regarding the tranny overheating aspect...a couple weeks ago I brought mine to the dealer and they did the recall for the constant chime for tranny overheating. I asked them about a dealer installed tranny cooler and they quoted me something like $500+ and would only be covered for 12 months but he didnt think it would void the factory warranty but couldnt/wouldnt say for sure.
I %100 agree with the speculation that the grass got caught up under the frame and exhaust and was held there with the mud until a fire started and the rest is history.
post #9 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

sucks to lose a new vehicle and get hurt like that. glad everything seems to be ok now tho.

and wait, jeeps are made for offroad??

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #10 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Granite Guru

From the article:

"Mary Gauthier, a spokeswoman for Chrysler Canada, said she had never heard of a similar issue affecting 2010 Jeep Wranglers."

I think Mary's nose might have grown a couple inches after saying that...

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide
post #11 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 07:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

While there do not appear to have been other incidents where an accumulation of mud in the undercarriage caused a fire, the American National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's records show several complaints filed about overheating transmission oil in the 2010 Wrangler, with at least one case having boiled over, causing a fire. The complaint records for the 2010 Wranglers indicate dealers are supposed to install a chime that sounds when the oil gets too hot, which alerts drivers.

umm my jeep hasnt burned to ground yet, I should call Chrysler

One day the NTSB will figure it the fuck out and make Chrysler pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #12 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I would guess a Jeep pulling a stuck truck in 4 hi could cause a trans to overheat. Not sure why they would have grass stuck under their Jeep unless they were no treading lightly. We have sold more JK's than any dealer in the US and none have burned down yet.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #13 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Granite Guru

Dry grass accumulating between a skid pan and the exhaust can easily catch fire in the right conditions. I've had this issue with our CJ on the farm, luckily I was able to hit it with a water hose once I saw/smelled the smoke. These days I pay closer attention when driving through high grass.
post #14 of 42 Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Wet grass and mud don't burn. Hot transmission oil poured onto a red hot catalyst does.
post #15 of 42 Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
[I]
In this case I think it is safe to say the MUD seems to be an effective fire retardant coating...no flame can survive in that!

Tom

post #16 of 42 Old 11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbarkChief View Post
Dry grass accumulating between a skid pan and the exhaust can easily catch fire in the right conditions. I've had this issue with our CJ on the farm, luckily I was able to hit it with a water hose once I saw/smelled the smoke. These days I pay closer attention when driving through high grass.
Same here ^x2

Tom

post #17 of 42 Old 11-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Owner: TWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG426 View Post
In this case I think it is safe to say the MUD seems to be an effective fire retardant coating...no flame can survive in that!

Wrong. The heat would move up not down into the mud. The mud would not allow the trans to vent off the heat and making it cook from the inside out. I can see how it would happen. I did a lot of mudding in my youth but looking back at it, it wasn't that smart. That much mud can trap the heat and it has to go somewhere. I can see how it could happen.

This thread is worthless without fire pictures

TWF Double Beadlock wheels, Pitbull Tires Vendor, Raceline Wheels Vendor, Marsh Racing Wheels Vendor, Poison Spyder Vendor, Custom Splice Winch Rope Vendor, Cheap LED Light Bars
post #18 of 42 Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 YJ View Post
Wrong. The heat would move up not down into the mud. The mud would not allow the trans to vent off the heat and making it cook from the inside out. I can see how it would happen. I did a lot of mudding in my youth but looking back at it, it wasn't that smart. That much mud can trap the heat and it has to go somewhere. I can see how it could happen.
That makes sense...I originally meant that as a sarcastic comment.

Tom

post #19 of 42 Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 PM

Hey....I am the "Sharron" in the above article. I don't have time now to reply to your comments, but I will soon. There ARE pictures of the Jeep and I can fill in the blanks of what happened if you wold like to ask.

Cheers
post #20 of 42 Old 11-23-2010, 11:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfight View Post
Hey....I am the "Sharron" in the above article. I don't have time now to reply to your comments, but I will soon. There ARE pictures of the Jeep and I can fill in the blanks of what happened if you wold like to ask.

Cheers
Welcome Sharron, sorry you lost your Jeep and your husband was injured. Glad you're still with us and look forward to hearing more of this story.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #21 of 42 Old 11-23-2010, 11:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Cheers
HI Sharron, welcome to the site, I wish your husband a speedy recovery. I'm curious how much grass you think was stuck under the jeep and do any of you really think that is what caused it, or if you are like most of us thinking the trans overheated and spilled onto the exhaust on passenger side.

Would love to see the pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #22 of 42 Old 11-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:

Cheers
Sorry for losing your new Jeep, I hope your husband has a speedy recovery

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #23 of 42 Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 AM

Thanks guys....I/we didn't drive through anything that we believe would have warranted a fire to start...it was basically a compact trail with some minor wet spots and no big trouble spots. Actually I insisted we take it easy because the Jeep was brand new and I didn't want to beat the crap out of it....yet ;-) The fire didn't only come up the passenger side...it came up both doors from under the passenger area, not from under the hood. I just got lucky that the wind caught the fire as I got out and I was able to avoid it.

Once I figure out how to add pictures, I will.
Attached Images

post #24 of 42 Old 11-24-2010, 12:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow, glad you are okay and hope the husband recovers quickly!
post #25 of 42 Old 11-24-2010, 06:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Cheers
Welcome Sharron, sorry to read about your incident. Hope your husband recovers very soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode